Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Suckers
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 1:18 pm 

GOOD GRIEF!!

I've used this single handed solder sucker from OK industries for 40 plus years. Cock it with your thumb, release it with your thumb, small, simple, efficient. I've never so much as replaced the tip on this thing, and at seven, 1970s bucks, I thought I was getting ripped off.

The key to finding a good design of this type is the center rod which cleans the nozzle on each operation like these. That one simple feature is what makes the otherwise beautiful little Japanese unit just about worthless.

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:07 pm 

The DS-017 is the only manual sucker worth having. All the smaller ones, regardless of make, are near to useless due to lack of air volume unless you do mostly very small work.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 6:36 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
GOOD GRIEF!!

I've used this single handed solder sucker from OK industries for 40 plus years. Cock it with your thumb, release it with your thumb, small, simple, efficient. I've never so much as replaced the tip on this thing, and at seven, 1970s bucks, I thought I was getting ripped off. .....

The OK looks almost identical to a no-name one I bought some years ago. It works great and cleans each time it's set.

RRM

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:10 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
here's a deal on the DS-017, used, but he has a lot of them, some school? 2 for $12.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132337040262

The guy replenished his supply, so there's more available.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:16 pm 

I would've loved to see his face when all these orders starting coming in within an hour or two.
This, ARF, is a great site, lots of traffic and contributors.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 11:14 pm 

[quote="Mikeinkcmo"]GOOD GRIEF!!

Mike - that looks like GC rosin flux in the hypo. Great idea. Sure would be a lot handier than the little brush in the cap. Do you leave it in there, or empty/clean it out after using?

Thanks,
Dan

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 11:38 pm 

My hypo has flux in fore long time ,never removed always good and very handy to use, I just remove needle and stick the syringe into container of rosin flux and suck in more

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 1:46 am 

Sparky;

This is the stuff in my syringe.

It takes a VERY small amount of flux to shine up even the worst looking joints, and a bottle lasts a long, long time.

I fill it to about twice what's shown in the pic every couple three months depending on how much work I do.

Mike

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 2:35 am 

glue_ru wrote:
I would've loved to see his face when all these orders starting coming in within an hour or two.
This, ARF, is a great site, lots of traffic and contributors.

I sent the seller an email and told him that someone here on ARF posted a link to his listing, and that he should check us out sometime. We may get a new member with some interesting goodies.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 2:09 pm 

EAE Sales, an advertising vendor on the right side of this page, has the original EDSYN DS017 Soldapullt in stock for $21 plus ACTUAL postage. This design was EDSYN's first patented product over 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 8:56 pm 

I bought mine directly from the manufacturer;
http://www.edsyn.com/product/DS017.html

That way I know that I'm not getting a knockoff.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 2:10 pm 

The two I ordered off of ebay showed up yesterday. While they were sold as used, they look brand new and unused. The o-rings need a little grease; they must have been sitting on a shelf for years.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 6:09 pm 

Received mine yesterday, look barely used, one is a little sticky on the outside.
Big ole sucker for sure.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 2:40 am 

Received mine today. The only thing they ever sucked up is stale air from sitting in a warehouse for many years. (I'm guessing they were made when Reagan was POTUS.) I did clean the bores with alcohol, greased the o-ring with silicone grease, and that's it. If you put your finger over the tip and release the plunger, it'll hold vacuum for about 20 seconds - seems the o-rings haven't shrunk very much. I like buying new and patronizing ARF advertisers (can you hear me, Sal? :lol:) , but these were too cheap to pass up. Couldn't be happier.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 3:10 am 

Got mine yesterday. One is OK and the other seems to need a bit of cleaning and lubing, so I'll do both. Yes, they seem NOS.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 9:06 am 

I got a pair based on this thread (and the fact that the damned cats hid my 'old' new one about a year and a half ago and I still haven't yet found it), and they look very nearly brand new. As others have found, they're rather stiff at the moment. I'll dig out some silicone grease tomorrow and get them freed up. Mine too look brand new but for some light abrasion on the rubber cocking cap on one of them.

(Now that I have these two, the missing one will doubtless soon emerge from its hiding place to join them, and then there will be three.) (...or the cats will have more fun playing "hide the tools" and I'll shortly be down to none again...)

-Pat

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 6:59 pm 

Try applying a light coating of mineral oil on the internal parts.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 10:35 pm 

Buy the Edsyn 017. Accept no substitutes, ever. Our radio club bought the cheap knockoffs and I HATE them. The difference in performance is HUGE.

I have about 10 of the 017s, I think. At the rate I am going through them, The USA will be celebrating its quadcentennial before the last one wears out.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 12:19 am 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
Buy the Edsyn 017. Accept no substitutes, ever. Our radio club bought the cheap knockoffs and I HATE them. The difference in performance is HUGE.

I have about 10 of the 017s, I think. At the rate I am going through them, The USA will be celebrating its quadcentennial before the last one wears out.

Actually, these are the originals - just a few years (quite a few, I'm guessing) old. The rubber bumper on the end of these is a little hard, but they work great. I'm with you on the knockoffs, though. Bought a couple of them myself a few years back.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:44 am 

There you have it: The EDSYN DS017 "The Original" Deluxe SOLDAPULLT with SRT12 Tip and ODS31 O-Ring.
If that isn't what you get, then you can file a NAD case with ebay.