Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Simpson Model 455 Oscilloscope
PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 12:50 am 

I recently acquired a Simpson Model 455 oscilloscope. Unfortunately, it did not come with any paperwork and I cannot seem to find a manual, schematic or even a spec sheet anywhere online. Does anyone know anything about this particular oscilloscope?

It looks exactly like the one in this E-Bay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simpson-Electronic-Company-General-Purpose-Industrial-Oscilloscope-Model-455/253249415761?hash=item3af6d76a51:g:g40AAOSwIFtaA2Uv

Post subject: Re: Simpson Model 455 Oscilloscope
PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 4:26 am 

I will say this, that is one rare bird of an oscilloscope. I'm ordinarily a pretty good Googler for such things. In this case, nothing. Nothing useful anyway. It does appear to have a close relative, the 455T with triggering, but even that had very little to say for itself.

Perhaps pop it open and see if you can get a tube # and manufacturer for the CRT. It may be that someone else built these for Simpson. It doesn't resemble many scopes that I've seen in my day. Maybe vaguely similar to some Hickok or Sencore scopes of the 60's era, but I doubt they would have OEM'd these for Simpson.

Good luck with this one. It's a mystery to be sure.

- Scott

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 5:20 pm 

Thanks for the response Scott!

I took some pictures of the scope.

I could not find any writing on the CRT but I will look again when I have the chance.

I noticed the jacks on the back are marked "50/60 Hz." Can they be used for XY vector input?

By looking at the insides I would say the scope is from the early 1970's.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 9:23 pm 

If it's otherwise working, it surely would be good scope for doing XY tracing. Or for that matter, even XY and Z tracing (intensity) if you want to do even more cool 3D scope display fun, just be careful not to apply too high a voltage to any of the rear inputs, since they're not (or probably not) attenuated. You could hurt the CRT if you overload the Z input. The little switch in the back will enable the X and Y (and likely the Z) direct jacks when it's in the EXT (Vector) position.

- Scott

P.S. It would be a good idea to check for leakage on the various capacitors, in particular the power supply filter caps, before putting this into any kind of active service. A shorted cap could roast the power transformer and leave you with useless hunk of metal and glass.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:12 pm 

I've got the original manual for a Simpson 455T if you are interested. $4, plus media mail or FC Mail....

Attachment:
455t.jpg
455t.jpg [ 70.88 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

IXNAY on the manual - it's for the triggered sweep version of the scope - different front panel layout, and internal triggered sweep generator.

Sorry, I'll keep looking in my stash of 400+ paper manuals.