Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing a 7F8 on a Sencore TC-162 ???
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 3:26 am 

What am I missing here?

Wanting the results of the well-known especially-sensitive leakage tests of the Sencore Mighty-Mites, I started by looking in the setup book for my TC-109, my always-out go-to tester.

No listing for the 7F8 ( loctal for the uninitiated ).

So, I dragged out my recently-restored TC-162 and looked up the 7F8. Sure enough, the tube setup was listed as were many other 7-series loctals.

Here's where the plot thickens. The socket specified for the 7F8 is socket 1, while all the others show socket 9, the only loctal socket on the TC-162. :shock:

Socket 1 is an octal socket, apparently used when, like the 7F8, the heater connection is non-standard.

After checking the tube manual again, I decided to see if I could test the tube in the octal socket. By rotating the tube slightly once it was inserted, I was able to get the pins to make contact with only gentle continuous pressure in the rotated direction.

I was able to test the tube that way, but I'm sure that's not the way things were meant to be.

Sitting here tonight, a couple weeks later, I got to thinking perhaps there was an adapter furnished to accomplish this test, although one would think such would be mentioned in the setup info if that were the case. I don't think it could be a misprint because of the way the sockets are wired.

The reason I thought of a Sencore-supplied adapter is because my mind was trying to think of how I might make an adapter for such, as I already have at least two boatanchors that use this wonderful prima Donna tube.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Post subject: Re: Testing a 7F8 on a Sencore TC-162 ???
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:13 am 

In every tube tester I've worked with, the pins of all sockets are connected in parallel corresponding to pin number. So, If your tube tested successfully in an octal socket, then I think it probably would test successfully in the loctal socket. Maybe it was just a typo in the data book, and they specified the wrong socket.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 12:55 pm 

Unfortunately, Bob, that's not the case. It's not a typo. Socket 9 will not work because of the filament wiring scheme.

Socket 1 has the filaments wired as needed by the 7F8. Socket 9 has the filaments wired as needed by most other Loctals as well as most other octals.

I initially followed your line of thinking when I first attempted testing the 7F8 and it of course showed a short right away on pin 2. I don't remember if others showed shorted, but I know the filaments also did not light up.

Surely I'm not the only one who's ever come across this combination.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:29 pm 

BobWeaver wrote:
In every tube tester I've worked with, the pins of all sockets are connected in parallel corresponding to pin number. So, If your tube tested successfully in an octal socket, then I think it probably would test successfully in the loctal socket. Maybe it was just a typo in the data book, and they specified the wrong socket.

The Mercury 2000 is the same as what he's dealing with. On that one, I have 4 octal sockets, a pair of 7 pin sockets and 4 9 pin. Tubes with the heaters on different pins go to different sockets instead of having some way to select what pis that are the heater line. Seems like having a switch like most other testers would have been better, but I'm sure they had some reason why not.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:11 am 

HI CHUCK:

THE TC-114 LOOKS IDENTICAL TO THE TC-109.
ALL MY SENCORE SETUP BOOKS ARE THE SAME SETTINGS FOR TC-114 THRU TC-142.
THE TC-28,TC-162,MU-140-150 DO NOT LIST THE 7F8.

THE LAST PAGE OF THE TC-114 HAS THIS NOTE:CONNECT A TEMPORARY JUMPER BETWEE PINS 7 & 8.
SET-UP AS FOLLOWS:7 G 8 C SOCKET 9
7 G 8 F SOCKET 9

SOME LOCTAL TUBE SETTINGS USE SOCKET 3 AS WELL.

THE BEST I CAN DO.
HOPE THIS SOLVES THE PROBLEM

BEST 73

WALTER-W2WIQ