Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taylor 45C valve tester
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:16 pm 

Hello all

I just Picked up a Taylor 45C tube tester from a local second hand store. I’m not familiar with this model or brand and am wondering if anyone is familiar with it. I found A tube chart and instructions and will tinkering with it over next few days. Does anyone have feedback on its quality, usefulness and value. At first glance it appears to be a very well built unit. Thanks!

Rod

Post subject: Re: Taylor 45C valve tester
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 12:23 am 

here is a link to some info for it.
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren ... or-45C.htm

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 12:57 am 

found a discussion on it you may be interested in too. Which provided the above link.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... php?t=8167

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:28 am 

I have a couple of these - they are true Gm testers not just emission testers and if in good order are worth keeping. Like most vintage pots the wire wound pots can become intermittent if the resistance wire in them becomes loose and moves around as the slider passes over it, usually right at the point you need to make a setting, I ended up replacing my 'A' pot with a 10 turn type, not as convenient to use but much easier to set.
The 3 (ABC) circuit selectors used for setting up the tube pins is a bit unusual but does make for a more compact instrument, the down side is that if a tube is not listed in the manual you need to use the chart in the user manual to work out the switch settings, some tubes (the EL84/6BQ5 springs to mind) can confuse the issue when manufactures make use of pins the should be NC to support internal structures like grids and cathodes - you can find that the cathode or grid is also connected to B+. I believe the engineers at Taylor were aware of this as there are 3 versions of the switch wiring and you would need to have the correct user manual should you need to work out switch settings for your self, tubes that are listed in the in the manual are not affected by the different versions. There was some discussions on the British Vintage Wirelesss forum about this and one of the members posted small piece of software that would work out ABC switch settings for unlisted tubes. I also wrote a Visual basic programme to do the same thing - it used a recursive routine to go through all combinations of all 3 versions, that was around 10 yrs or more ago, not sure I could find it, it ran under Windows95 and may not even run on modern versions of windows.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:36 am 

Thanks for the replies; the information is much appreciated.