Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 25, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Platter Flocking
PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 8:50 pm 

I've heard of the homemade flocking machines made out of bug zappers but was always skeptical. I went ahead and bought a bug fly swatter zapper for a couple of bucks on line at ebay and made one. The results were amazing considering I did not even practice. I just applied a thick coat of cheap acrylic paint I bought for $1.69 onto the platter (bought @ Hobby Lobby), connected the negative to the bottom of the platter and shook the flocking material from the flocking bowl through the positively charged grid and made several passes to raise the flocking hairs upward, and let it dry. Here are some pics.

Attachment:
Sanded.jpg
Sanded.jpg [ 143.11 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]

Attachment:
Flocking1.jpg
Flocking1.jpg [ 110.14 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]

Attachment:
Flocking2.jpg
Flocking2.jpg [ 163.08 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]

Attachment:
Flocking3.jpg
Flocking3.jpg [ 152.56 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]

Post subject: Re: Platter Flocking
PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 9:56 am 

Very good. I just use the flock-it tube applicator from flock-it.com. I get really good results without any electrostatic charge. Put the glue on thick, then put the flocking on thick too.

Here's one that I did.

Attachments:
15590562_1170037586383577_7317912923467959973_n.jpg
15590562_1170037586383577_7317912923467959973_n.jpg [ 110.73 KiB | Viewed 2380 times ]
DSC00175.JPG
DSC00175.JPG [ 156.01 KiB | Viewed 2380 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 12:48 pm 

Looks nice

I love those Cobra-Matics. They are work horses.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

I purchased a couple of these Cans when they were $7 and made my own applicator using an Air gun from
Harbor Freight and a plumbing nozzle WORKS Great.

http://www.flockit.com/index.php/produc ... cator.html

I put the Platter on an Lazy Suzy set inside a plastic trash bag , which is placed inside a Large Cardboard box.

You get to save all the over sprayed flock.

Fun to do.

Bob T

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:04 am 

Here's another one that I just finished. It is fun to flock! And easy too!

Attachments:
DSC00201.JPG
DSC00201.JPG [ 230.43 KiB | Viewed 2294 times ]
DSC00206.JPG
DSC00206.JPG [ 231.08 KiB | Viewed 2294 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 16, 2017 8:45 pm 

Electrostatic is the way to go. I used an old 13" color television chassis like someone else hadmentioned in a previous thread. I gave the platter two coats of paint, about a couple minutes between coats (the second coat was heavier). I hooked op the anode to the platter and hooked up an 8" sieve to the negative lead. I loaded the sieve with flock, and turned on the power. I held the sieve about 16" above the platter while shaking the sieve covered the platter with a heavy coat of flock. I then turned the power off and let it dry for about an hour..I then placed the platter in an oven @ 150 degrees for about 4 hours.. After removing the platter from the oven, let it cool. You can then shake off and save the loose flock. It came out great the first time. Just a word of caution on the high voltage.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 6:34 pm 

I've done numerous turntables on jukeboxes with this method:
1. Choose the appropriate color of flocking and get a can of RustOleum Enamel of the same color, or similar.
2. Mount the turntable to a rotation device (Lazy Susan) and spray on a light coat of Enamel in a spiral fashion. Let it dry about 10 minutes.
3. Spray on a second coat, heavier than the first. Immediately sprinkle the flock material on thick without touching the surface. Let it dry about an hour.
4. Flip the turntable over by supporting it from the center hole, or other spot that is not flocked, and let the excess flock fall off. Tap a non-flocked area with a something small and solid to knock off any loose flock. Examine for an even and sufficient coat.
5. Optional 2nd process (if the 1st coat is not thick enough): Spray on another light coat of enamel and immediately sprinkle on the flocking material without touching the surface. Let dry overnight. Then repeat step 4.

This yields a nice looking flock coat that will take a lot of wear from repeated records, as you can expect in a jukebox.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 3:34 pm 

I find myself restoring my old 78 RPM Webster phono of which the turntable is as bald as
Kojak. This thread is very informative and I thank all respondents who have weighed-in; very
helpful advice and suggestions.

Right now I am leaning toward the Flok-It kit and am wondering what the concensus of this
group is on Rayon versus Nylon fibers? My days in high school were before guys took home-ec so I don't really know what the difference is. Is one better than the other for a turntable?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 12:10 am 

Hi. I have never tried nylon flocking material. I have always used rayon material which was readily available to me. As far as durability I do not know. For application , an electrostatic applicator works great. I have tried the other methods of applications with varying success, but electrostatic application looks more like the factory applied it. Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 4:18 am 

Thanks for weighing-in, Ferd. I re-read your earlier posting in this thread and am now
in the, "Yeah, I can do dat" camp. I was a little intimidated by some of the other makeshift
electrostatic applicator ideas but spending the bucks to buy a commercial unit goes against my
personal preference for being resourceful. I really like trading sweat equity for an end result.

What kind of voltage did you apply to the sieve from your color TV chassis? Also I am curious as
to where you bought the flocking material and wonder how much flock a guy needs to adequately
cover a 10-inch platter?

Sparks

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 5:44 am 

I’m guessing the voltage was around 12k to 14 kv. I never did measure it. I connected the anode lead to the item being flock and the negative lead to the sieive filled with flocking material. Hold the serve high enough from the platter otherwise you will get a trail of flocking material from one to the other. I had bought flocking material from Victory Glass Co. I was flocking Wurlitzer Jukebox platters. They have several colors. You can also buy it from craft stores like Michaels or Joann’s It doesn’t take much but you need enough to completely cover the platter. When dried you can shake off the loose material and reuse it

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 1:12 am 

The flocking kits make it easy. You just paint the adhesive on thickly and puff the powder on heavily. Tap the excess when it dries. Nothing to it. You have to remember that it can always be removed and redone if the results are not satisfactory.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:36 pm 

I gotta say good flocking job!

KK4ROV