Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning records
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 6:03 am 

Hi All, I am a newbie so forgive me if this question has been asked 23,000 times before. What are folks using to clean their records? I have seen some kits online but wanted to hear it from the pros!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cleaning records
PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 7:17 am 

For vinyl records (as opposed to shellac 78’s), most people use a mixture of distilled water and rubbing alcohol. I tend to use alcohol based eyeglass lens cleaner. I also have a SpinClean record cleaner and it does a good job using the solution that came with it. There is also a new product called The Groovinator that does a very nice job.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 3:54 pm 

Spray some Windex on, and wipe with a very soft brush under warm running water...dry with lintless terry towel. Never had a problem this way.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 10:17 pm 

1. First, rinse the record with water before
application of any cleaner. Gross dirt must come
off first.
Many people use 1 drop of liquid soap with water as
wash, then rinse w/water.
Dry with clean soft cotton rag, e.g. flannell.

2. Pfanstiehl's Pfan-Stat is a good secondary cleaner that
seems to reduce record static, in my experience.
I use this on my better condition records, after washing.

3. Blow out dirt from inside of record album cover, also.

H

PostPosted: Nov Thu 16, 2017 11:37 pm 

Here is the simple method I use:

Get a paint edger like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shur-Line-Pr ... W/21079264

Rinse any loose dirt off the record.

Thoroughly wet the edger, add a little bit of dish detergent, scrub in the direction of the grooves (you can feel the bristles pull along the grooves), rinse thoroughly, rinse again with distilled water if you choose (good idea if you have hard water), and dry with an automotive chamois or microfiber towel.

Try not to get the label too wet. Most LP labels are fairly water resistant, but not all of them. The labels on styrene 45s are just paper that is glued on, and will soak up water and soften much easier.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 1:16 am 

I use a similar paint edger to what beat-truck uses, dipped in a little soap and water mix,but I also made a pair of covers that fit over the label, screwed together with a bolt and thumb screw through the spindle hole. This keeps the label dry, even when rinsed with a sprayer.

Additionally, I always use a static free brush such as this one whenever I play a record:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DWG4C8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 5:39 am 

Sol wrote:
I use a similar paint edger to what beat-truck uses, dipped in a little soap and water mix,but I also made a pair of covers that fit over the label, screwed together with a bolt and thumb screw through the spindle hole. This keeps the label dry, even when rinsed with a sprayer.

Additionally, I always use a static free brush such as this one whenever I play a record:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DWG4C8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

I actually made two different "label savers" nearly the same way. I used some plastic outdoor electrical box covers that came with gaskets, some stainless bolts, and wing nuts. The covers fit the label of an LP perfectly as they come, but I found I needed to make a second one with reduced diameter for records with smaller labels and more groove area. I also use a similar carbon fiber brush that I picked up on Ebay.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 4:53 pm 

I used these, they are the perfect size:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-ABS-Insert-Test-Cap-with-Knockout-39103/100113503

I drilled a hole in the center of each. A bolt , fender washer (on the outside), rubber washer and a nylon insert locknut went into one side. I glued a fender washer and rubber washer on the outside of the other. I used a knob like this to put them together:
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-easy-to-grip-5-star-knobs-threaded-insert

Put some thin weather stripping around the edges and I was done.

I have about a thousand records, so it's some work to keep on top of it, but records need good care or they just don't last long.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

I recently discovered the paint edger on my own. It’s cool to hear I’m not the only one. I tend to use the edger with soap and water on my 78’s and the SpinClean on vinyl. 78’s are too thick for the SpinClean and tend to push the rollers up out of place.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 8:46 pm 

If the record is really dusty I first rinse it under running tap water using label protector covers. You could also use a small amount of soap using a paint edger as already mentioned then rinse off. Then I use a alcohol/distilled water mix along with cleaning brush and vacuum the water off all while spinning slowly by hand on an old turntable. The vacuum head is one I built using a flat cleaning wand with the end sealed and a slit cut in it. Then the outside of the slit is covered with small cut strips of a paint edger. I found I needed to limit vacuuming the record to a maximum of two turns or you create static on the surface if it gets too dry in the process. Also I've heard folks claim that using alcohol mix more than once starts to degrade sound. If you're going to clean often I'd buy the pro cleaners.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 5:16 pm 

I will sometimes spray some Pfan-stat No. SA-14 record cleaning fluid on the vinyl surface, and wipe away in a circular motion using a cotton cloth. After drying, I will then place the record on the platter, and while spinning it by activating the turntable, I will use Record Doctor's RD-CFB carbon fiber brush to remove any lingering contaminants.

A cheaper way, and as good as any in many cases, you can use a a drop of Ivory dishwasher soap mixed with a some warm water to clean the records that way. Rinse the records a tad afterwards, and dry with a cotton cloth.

While cleaning your records, always try to keep as much solution as possible from the labels.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 9:45 pm 

I generally use an isopropyl alcohol/distilled water mix and wipe with a soft fibre cloth. I would suggest if you are going to use water, to use distilled. In some areas the mineral content of tap water is quite high (calcium in my case) which can damage the records when the water dries.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 9:04 pm 

Is using ultrasonic baths a good idea for cleaning records?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:45 pm 

Kestas wrote:
Is using ultrasonic baths a good idea for cleaning records?

Evidently, yes. There are a number of threads on the subject on audio forums such as audiokarma.