Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 26, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another changer....this is what model?
PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 1:51 am 

Ok, I will start over here with a new cartridge. I was able to rig up a jumper adapting what someone had on the old cartridge. Those connectors aren't the easiest I've ever worked with. But same result. Lots of noise, barely able to hear Elvis in the background. The cartridge is definitely "hot". Light tapping on the cobra head comes through loud and clear. But not getting any music. This is why I shelved this project last summer-- realized it was going to be more involved than I had anticipated and I didn't then have the time for it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 1:56 am 

There is something out of phase somewhere.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 7:54 pm 

So this sounds like an electronics problem? Yesterday was the first time I got a chance to try this console out since the tuner doesn't work.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 3:12 am 

No, I wasn't thinking electronics, I am thinking wrong or loose connection (or Short) in tonearm/cartridge wiring. That Euphonics U-1 was an excellent ceramic cartridge but
is very hard to find now, but it sounds like it could be bad/defective. I have a new one that you could have If I can find it.

Have you tried running a CD player or tape deck into the tape/Aux inputs?

Also, I don't remember if this console has it, but if it has something called extended stereo or radial sound, make sure those are switched off.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 6:13 am 

I don't see an easy way to plug anything into it to test it. My Motorola console has jacks that I can pull off the changer and plug into anything. But this changer is hard wired and I haven't noticed any aux jacks at all. It does have external speaker jacks at the bottom that say "Radial Sound" above them, but I haven't seen any way to turn it on or off. There is a switch on the back at the top for the radio. The two positions are stereo and monoaural. I will take a closer look at all this in the morning. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 5:44 pm 

In many early 60's Zeniths. the tape/aux jacks were an extra cost dealer installed option.

On the radial sound speaker jacks, are the jumper plugs installed? It won't work without them.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 9:49 pm 

I found the blank spots where the aux jacks would be if they were installed, so no luck there...

I am posting a pic of the speaker jacks. Maybe those are jumper plugs? I have been intrigued/baffled by that setup since the day I bought this unit, but have been trying to avoid thinking about it so as not to go down too many rabbit holes at the same time, as is my tendency.

I am in the process of reading up all the newbie info I can find. My intention is to recap this amp as soon as I feel comfortable. I have been able to locate all the caps I need, but decided to do my Motorola amp at more or less the same time. That's the only way I will get myself over the $20 min order limit. Plus, as I have been listening to records on the Motorola and it has a weak, noisy left channel, I figure I better do this before I do some damage.

I suspect you are correct in that the issues are in the cartridge/tone arm. I will keep fiddling with that in the meantime.

Sorry about the sideways pic. It looks right on my computer, but not here.

Attachments:
DSCN2820 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2820 (640x480).jpg [ 203.65 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]
DSCN2822 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2822 (640x480).jpg [ 163.36 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]
DSCN2821 (480x640).jpg
DSCN2821 (480x640).jpg [ 215.86 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 2:21 am 

OK, learning has occurred. It's kind of embarrassing, but maybe it helps someone else. When I bought this unit it had an EV cartridge on it, think it's a 250D, kind of hard to read. When I took it off it kind of fell apart, plus I didn't really know what I was looking at. It was unlike what I had dealt with before. So as mentioned my wife tracked down that Astatic 710. Used, untested, etc. By the time I got it I realized there were other issues, and sort of moved on. I did pull the bracket off and flip it over before I installed it because it was set up for 78. So today I look at the remains of the original EV cartridge, pictured below. It occurs to me that there is only one little notch for the stylus to sit on, on one side. So I start thinking, one thing leads to another and I pull the cartridge off the tonearm, take the bracket off, the ceramic part comes out and I realize that you have to flip that thing over also, dummy, when you intend to use the other stylus.

So now it works, amazingly well, actually. I have read that it's best to change the capacitors before using the unit because the old ones can cause damage, but I really want to take a short victory lap and listen to some records on the Zenith. I will follow through on the rest.

Quick thanks to all you guys for your patience and help. You know who you are. No chance I would have gotten this far this quickly without you.

Gary said this cartridge takes a Pfanstiehl 461 needle. The crude illustration on the V of M site doesn't give me a lot of information. How do needles install on this cartridge? So you get the needle with it already installed in the foam with that assembly then glued to the metal bracket? Does it snap in, slide in or what?

Also, it sounds dumb, but I don't have the owners manual for this console. That combo loudness/balance knob has me a little confused. Are they supposed to turn as one or separately? I'm starting to suspect that that unit just needs a good cleaning.

Attachments:
DSCN2825 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2825 (640x480).jpg [ 140.32 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]
DSCN2826 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2826 (640x480).jpg [ 136.91 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 2:50 am 

I am glad you figured it out, I knew it had to be in the cartridge or wiring. The stylus just snaps in. The cartridge is not supposed to come apart, you may need to put
a tiny dab of glue on the rear of the red part to hold it.

The speaker jumpers are in place.

The loudness/balance is supposed to turn together, you hold the larger lower knob to adjust the smaller upper knob or vice versa.

I don't see anything connected to the antenna terminals, could be why your not getting any tuner reception.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 3:20 am 

Homer, glad you were able to put the cartridge back together. It's all in the learning curve. Turntables can be very frustrating, but it looks like you're getting a very good handle on working with them. Your VM changer in the Motorola will be easier to disassemble and clean, plus there enough of us that have worked on them to easily help you out. I personally like that Zenith "Professional" changer because of it's quality. Once you become a little more familiar with the electronics side, you're probably going to find the hobby addictive and rewarding.

Steve

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 5:20 am 

Thanks guys, think I'm hooked already. And I found a '65 or '66 Silvertone 6022 tabletop stereo in the attic I had forgotten about when I was putting away Christmas stuff...

The info I have says stylus pressure should be no more than 7 grams. I set 6.0. Is there any consensus or guidelines on the right pressure?

I'm going to order a new needle and then revisit the cartridge to make sure I get it right. As I remember the antenna is unhooked because I was experimenting with an external one, but I will investigate that again.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:35 pm 

Homer wrote:
Thanks guys, think I'm hooked already. And I found a '65 or '66 Silvertone 6022 tabletop stereo in the attic I had forgotten about when I was putting away Christmas stuff...
The info I have says stylus pressure should be no more than 7 grams. I set 6.0. Is there any consensus or guidelines on the right pressure?

Each cartridge has a particular stylus pressure set by the
manufacturer.
If you post a photo/model # of the Silvertone cartridge, we can tell you
what the usual range is for its stylus pressure.

The correct stylus pressure affects both record wear, and
correct function of the turntable; such as in tonearm moving
into the lead out record groove to activate cycling function properly.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 10:02 pm 

My fault, I have talked about too many different units in this thread. I was asking about the Zenith changer with the Astatic 710. Instructions say adjust the screw on the tone arm to obtain no more than 7 grams of pressure on the stylus. Just wondering if someone had any ideas of something more specific.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 10:36 pm 

You're in luck apparently with this cart.
Tracking force range 2-6 grams.
So, you can try setting it to say 3 grams.

Observe if it tracks well, sounds good, and
the tonearm tracks into lead-out groove and
cycles okay.
Hotwax

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part ... ategories=

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 11:51 pm 

Thanks for the link. I hadn't noticed he had all that info on there.....might explain why I was having trouble with the cartridge initially. It was set at 10 grams when I got around to checking it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2