Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telefunken TW 501 repair
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 9:45 pm 

Hello all,

I'm stumped...I have a TW501 from a grundig console that is not operating correctly. It won't play the last record on the stack... The record drops, and the tone arm just rejects and the player switches off. It had been working fine until a house guest bent the record arm forcefully ( :evil: :x ). I repaired that... The changer mechanism is clean and oiled where it's supposed to be (as far as I could tell from the old grease points when I first fixed it up), but I just can't figure out what I'm missing.

When the record arm is down, the tone arm won't move into position. It just lifts up and sets back down on the stand. I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem or has a service manual on hand (I have scoured the internet, but can only find the owners manual). I feel like a spring or a pin has popped out of place, but I can't find anything obviously amiss.

I don't think the pictures will help other than maybe jogging someone's memory:

As far as I can tell, something is out of order here. This linkage is from the record arm. When one of the record size levers is depressed, it should pin this lever back until the tone arm reaches the runout groves. Then the tension toward the linkage connected to the record arm should trigger the reject/off sequence:

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Telefunken TW 501 repair
PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 12:02 am 

Service manual in German...
http://telefunken.pytalhost.eu/TW501s/

user manual...
http://telefunken.pytalhost.eu/TW501/

a few pretty pictures...
http://www.klassiker-service.com/index. ... 320-tw-501

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 9:15 pm 

Thanks Greg! Hopefully the schematic will help!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 12:53 am 

It might be because the autochanger arm drops down a bit too far, thus the deck thinks there are no more discs to play. Look for a perished rubber grommet or similar on its shaft, deck upper side.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Do you have the switch in the "changing" position? Maybe you don't have that switch, seems to be a couple versions of the TW-501.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 11:00 pm 

eclectik wrote:
It might be because the autochanger arm drops down a bit too far, thus the deck thinks there are no more discs to play. Look for a perished rubber grommet or similar on its shaft, deck upper side.

Yes, this is what I initially considered; however, it does not seem to be the case-- when the record arm drops at all, even just below the lip on the spindle, it contacts a lever in the mechanism that seems to trigger the reject. It seems to me that something is out of sequence. It should be the combination of the lowered record arm and the tone-arm reaching the run-out that triggers the full reject sequence-- not just the dropping of the record arm.

Have had a chance yet to look at it with the schematic in hand. I'll post what I find, if anything, when I do.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 12:22 am 

Quote:
It had been working fine until a house guest bent the record arm forcefully . I repaired that

That seem to be your key clue. How bad was it bent? How did you repair it? Look like a fairly simple trigger mechanism as these things go. And the service manual has a good blow-up of that section of the player.
Here's a thread from video-karma that possibly discusses your problem on a TW 501..read thru the whole thread..
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=261503

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 4:52 pm 

As an FYI, this is essentially a Voice of Music changer.

Lift the main slide up, you should see a small "T" bar that the record stabilizer arm hits against as it comes down. Make sure there's no other old grease on that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 7:31 pm 

did the arm jump some teeth and now has the wrong home/end position?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 18, 2018 11:32 pm 

I've been picking away at this and it's driving me nuts. I understand the sequence of the changer fairly well. I'm confident that the balance arm was straightened and repaired correctly-- the issue is definitely not there, the issue is definitely with the mechanism that delays the reject sequence until the tonearm reaches the runout grooves; however, I definitely cannot figure it out... There is a whole mess of stuff under the tonearm and it's pretty much impossible to observe the entire mechanical sequence-- but I know there is something that is supposed to hold the T-bar back to allow the tonearm to drop on the last record.

Everything is very clean and moves freely. I've poked everything I can... I definitely see the piece that's supposed to stay "up" but I have no idea what's supposed to keep it there.

Trying to track down a voice of music manual.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 12:31 pm 

"The mechanism that delays the shutoff works just like the VM changers and is located in the stacked mess underneath the turntable near the bottom of the tone arm. Follow the rods from the...
Common problem"...

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.ph ... &page=2#18

.. V-M service manual and supplement, courtesy of Bill J.
.. viewtopic.php?p=1999614#p1999614

Greg.

Photofact Set-371 Folder-12 covers...
Grundig TW501G✴ + Telefunken TW560
image: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ndwAAOSws ... -l1600.jpg