Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Truetone D-1046 phonograph
PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 1:23 am 

Ok, with help of guys on Electrical Restoration board got AM and FM working. I am refinishing the cabinet with help of those on cabinet board.

Now to the phonograph. It is a 3-speed, 33 1/3, 45 and 78. I plugged it up and got sound when I rubbed my finger on the stylus, but turntable did not move. I looked at the underside and saw numerous levers, trip switches, and gears but no belt. perhaps the motor is bad but I have not yet removed the phonograph from the radio cabinet. It also has the old style record changer with the plate and clear plastic ball on an arm arrangement that mounts on the deck.

Did the maker build their own phonograph or buy a generic one and drop it in. If I post pictures perhaps someone here can identify so I can find a manual to figure out the complicated mechanical systems involved. I haven't been able to identify serial #s or model #s.

Dick S

Post subject: Re: Truetone D-1046 phonograph
PostPosted: Jul Sat 30, 2011 2:41 am 

You gotta pull the platter up there might be a c clamp on the spindle. And under that will show if it has an idler wheel or belt... CHances are they rotted and u'll need to have a rebuilt one

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2011 12:45 am 

Here are pictures if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2011 12:57 am 

I have the same record changer in my Hudson Phonograph, I don't know who made it but I beleive it was General Industries, this model has an Idler Wheel and two small drive belts for the 33 and 45 speeds, the first thing you need to do is lube the motor, dissassemble it, remove all the old grease, and use 3-In-1 or equivalent machine oil to lube the shaft and the bearing, then remove the platter to see if your Idler and belts are good.

Here is a picture of mine, restored they are pretty reliable.

Attachment:
Hudson 012.JPG
Hudson 012.JPG [ 62.58 KiB | Viewed 2245 times ]

-Nolan

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2011 1:28 am 

Thanks for the info Nolan.

I probably won't get to disassembly for about a week as I am going on vacation on Tuesday.

If it is ok, I will undoubtedly have more questions for you when I get started.

Dick S

PostPosted: Aug Mon 01, 2011 1:33 am 

That is certainly not a problem, I've had a lot of experiance with this changer.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Aug Fri 12, 2011 8:46 pm 

Ok, how do I remove the turntable on this beast. I don't see how it is held captive. Does the spindle go all the way to the bottom of the unit where there is a cross retainer of some sort? I am unsure how to start disassembly to check the idler wheel or whatever it is. If someone has a schematic of a similar turntable I would be appreciative for the help. And I would get an idea of what things are called (nomenclature).

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2011 3:24 am 

There is a "C" clip at the bottom of the spindle, it holds the Platter on, take a Flathead Screwdriver and pop it off, (Just be careful not to lose it)

-Nolan

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2011 8:15 pm 

Ok, got the turntable off. No old grease...bearings look ok. What is attached to the collar on the platter stem? looks like a compression fitting for wire lead. The idler wheel has the rubber around it intact. Is it supposed to be flat or round in cross-section. Also the two belts look a little worse for wear and kind of slack fitting the shafts. The big problem is all 4 of the rubber-esque grommets are crapped out...broken so they can not be reinstalled. Where are these available? Where are belts available?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 13, 2011 9:27 pm 

You can get Belts and Motor Grommets at thevoiceofmusic.com, E-mail Gary with the Make and model of the changer, and/or pictures of the set and the parts needed, He'll fix you up good.

-Nolan

PostPosted: Aug Tue 16, 2011 7:14 pm 

Ok, latest saga...spent 2 days looking for the top washer on the spindle bearing assembly. Did you know that if you turn the unit upside down with the turntable off but with the bearing assembly on the spindle while attaching the motor to deck the washers, bearings, and geared collar will all fall on the floor...I did it twice to make sure gravity still works. :oops: So I jury rigged the motor mounts because I don't yet have grommets and tested out the motor under unit power. Motor works, turntable spins, eh changer hit and miss...needs work.

The last task was to reattach the tone arm wire to the cartridge. It is a one wire with shield attached to two prongs on cartridge. While soldering I broke off one of the prongs. Can't solder to the prong base as the heat liquifies plastic to prohibit solder sticking. End of repair to turntable until I get parts such as cartridge, tone arm wire, clips, grommets, and belts. Idler wheel seems to be ok.

Wiley Coyote is smiling from the top of the mesa.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:39 pm 

Hi Dick S I'm new to the forum and noticed your posts ref: truetone D1046 phonograph. I just got my childhood truetone but somebody removed the phonograph and whereabouts unknown. I'm looking for one and classicelectronicguy says he has one he need to get rid of. If that deal works out I'll be asking lots of questions. If not, I'll still be looking for one.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:42 pm 

Sorry, I think my prior post should have been addressed to Golden Throat 15

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 9:07 pm 

Hasn't been heard from for many years!

-David