Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 20, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Picked up 4 old broadcast turntables
PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2011 6:45 pm 

The same gentleman who I recently got the Sparta TT from said he found four more TT's up in his attic and that I was welcome to them. They all will need new rubber parts and a complete cleaning and lubrication.

The first one is a Collins model 200B with a Gray Reserach tonearm. I suspect this one is from the late '50's. The tonearm was not attached to it's base when I got it; but, I took care of that.
Here is the other Collins 200B that has what's left of a Gray tonearm on it.
Gates CB1200 that looks to be from the '70's. This one has an Ashland motor and a Micro-Trak 303 tonearm with a Stanton 500 cartridge. The arm is missing the counterweight; but, I think I have a busted tonearm somewhere that I can steal a weight from.
Last, we have a Rek-O-Kut B12-71 that looks very similar to the Sparta that I got the other day. I wonder if this was made in '71? It also has a Micro-Trak 303 tonearm with Stanton 500 cartridge.

They all need a good bit of work; but, I think they are worth the effort. I wish I could find a Gray tonearm to match the missing one on the other Collins TT; but, that may be hard to do.

Actually, I'm not that familiar with those Gray tonearms. Isn't there some type of oil that goes in the rear well? Also, how is the tracking weight adjusted on these?

Oh, here is the Sparta I got the other day.

Post subject: Re: Picked up 4 old broadcast turntables
PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2011 7:03 pm 

Yes i like that one and its from 1962

PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2011 7:32 pm 

DJ's liked them because of how quickly they came up to speed and the abuse they could take. To get a really tight "cue", DJ's would sometimes hold the record from turning with the platter spinning beneath. This was called "slip-starting" a record.

You will be happy to know that these still sell for quite a bit of money in certain venues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QRK-12C-Studio- ... 45fecc217f

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 2:20 am 

radiotvnut wrote:
Actually, I'm not that familiar with those Gray tonearms. Isn't there some type of oil that goes in the rear well? Also, how is the tracking weight adjusted on these?

These older Gray tonearms were once the mainstay of the broadcast industry until replaced by the Gray Micro-Trak and the Rek-O-Kut S-320. IIRC on the Gray tonearm you adjusted the tracking pressure by adding weights to the cartridge mounting slide. That way you could interchange cartridges instantly and the correct pressure would be automatically set.

I think you are supposed to use silicone oil in the well for damping. I used SAE 20 electric motor oil once and it seemed to work fine. I had it tracking at 2 grams with a Shure cartridge.

I think the Collins turntables are actually Rek-O-Kut. I believe Collins never made turntables, just rebranded so they could offer a complete studio package.

-David

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2011 3:03 am 

I operated a pair of Collins turntables that were QRK. QRK made turntables for a lot of broadcast companies who simply stuck their name on them so they could round out their product line.

Many stations who tried these quick-starting, rugged machines for FM stereo were disappointed because their rumble and motor noise became more pronounced.

Dave