Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 31, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 45 player questions
PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 1:55 am 

I am a new forum member and I am new to restoring radios and 45 players. I have been having a lot of fun restoring RCA 45 players for myself and friends.
First question: I have repainted rusty or scuffed up motorboards of several players with the RP-190 changer. I do not have an airbrush and have used spray paints from Lowes/Home Depot. I can't seem to find anything that matches the original color (I call it "honey gold" or "copper-gold"). Any suggestions?
Second, I have got most of these players (RP-168 and 190) tracking at 4.7-5 grams. I leave the spring attached to the tone arm counterweight in place even with a lighter replacement cartridge and have not had any problems with poor tracking. Should I be trying for a lower number to help preserve record life?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: RCA 45 player questions
PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 4:19 am 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
For you gold color look at automotive spray paints matching better.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 4:56 am 

Great idea-thanks!

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 6:13 am 

pabilo21 wrote:
I am a new forum member and I am new to restoring radios and 45 players. I have been having a lot of fun restoring RCA 45 players for myself and friends.
First question: I have repainted rusty or scuffed up motorboards of several players with the RP-190 changer. I do not have an airbrush and have used spray paints from Lowes/Home Depot. I can't seem to find anything that matches the original color (I call it "honey gold" or "copper-gold"). Any suggestions?
Second, I have got most of these players (RP-168 and 190) tracking at 4.7-5 grams. I leave the spring attached to the tone arm counterweight in place even with a lighter replacement cartridge and have not had any problems with poor tracking. Should I be trying for a lower number to help preserve record life?
Thanks

Unless you're qualified to do extensive re-tooling on the mechanism, I'd advise 5 grams as a minimum for these changers in the best of conditions.
They weren't meant to track at less, and 5 grams is not record-wearing.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 2:55 pm 

Thanks! I will quit worrying about it.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 4:18 pm 

I have an rp-190 with the grey tone arm/spindle top,the motorboard paint has some chips that need filling in.What color is the motorboard? Looks
like champagne silver to me.Anyone know the nameof the color?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 5:28 pm 

Mr. Phonojack would probably know. :wink:

"The mystery of the RCA color palette"

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 8:50 pm 

Concerning the RCA Victor "rp-190 with the grey tone arm/spindle top,the motorboard paint has some chips that need filling in". What color is the motorboard? Anyone know the name of the colors?

I don't remember if I ever painted one of these gray motorboards. I'll check my Notes and see what I can find, just not sure.
There are several popular RCA Victor 45 players that feature that color combination.

Check these and let us know which one:

Here's a couple of less common black bakelite phonographs with amplifiers, the later 1955 6-EY-2 and 6-EY-1

RCA Victor 45 Model 6-EY-2

RCA Victor 45 Model 6-EY-1

There is a simple record changer only, no amplifier RCA Victor model 6-JY-1.
I don't have this -1 model, but it looks something like this 6-JY-1A:

One of the more common portable RCA Victor phonographs is the Model 6-EY-3A, 3B and 3C; each has the gray color tone arm and spindle cap.
RCA Victor Model 6-EY-3A portable

And one of the most collectible, desirable is the Elvis Presley RCA Model 7-EP-45 with 'the King's' much sought after autograph.
I don't have this model because I've not yet found one at a sane, reasonable price before or after restoration.

You mentioned a 'champagne silver" color. RCA Victor produced a few players with RP-190 record changers that have this nice champagne silver color on the motorboard. But they didn't have the gray tone arm and spindle cap; there is no reason why a repair technician might not have replaced the tone arm and spindle cap with a gray color, a possibility.

The RCA Victor 7-EY-2JJ and 7-EY-2HH have Edit: "champagne silver" motorboards that look like this:
RCA Victor 7-EY-2HH

Home Depot, Lowes and other popular home stores have the ability to run a paint spectrum color match, just bring the tone arm or spindle cap. Alternatively, a good automobile body shop can do a perfect match.

Good luck,

Jack

PostPosted: Dec Mon 19, 2011 11:14 pm 

Thanx for the photos Phonojack. Ok,it's a 6EY-1 that I have converted into an attachment model using a black
6JY case.The motorboard paint is definitely the same as the pictured 6EY-1. I call it champagne silver.That is how it
looks to me.

Bob

PostPosted: Dec Wed 21, 2011 2:06 am 

Too orange compared to the standard RCA gold? The closest I can come off the shelf is this engine block paint from an auto parts store. I had to bake the board at 200 F for 60 min and some neighbors saw me take it out of the oven! I will have to move. I hope I attached the photo correctly.

Attachments:
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG [ 97.88 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 21, 2011 2:22 am 

Here is option B: A metallic "pure gold" by Rustoleum. I think I like it better......????

Attachments:
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG [ 108.04 KiB | Viewed 1278 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 21, 2011 3:12 am 

PhonoJack wrote:
Concerning the RCA Victor "rp-190 with the grey tone arm/spindle top,the motorboard paint has some chips that need filling in". What color is the motorboard? Anyone know the name of the colors?

I don't remember if I ever painted one of these gray motorboards. I'll check my Notes and see what I can find, just not sure.
There are several popular RCA Victor 45 players that feature that color combination.

Check these and let us know which one:

Here's a couple of less common black bakelite phonographs with amplifiers, the later 1955 6-EY-2 and 6-EY-1

RCA Victor 45 Model 6-EY-2

RCA Victor 45 Model 6-EY-1

There is a simple record changer only, no amplifier RCA Victor model 6-JY-1.
I don't have this -1 model, but it looks something like this 6-JY-1A:

One of the more common portable RCA Victor phonographs is the Model 6-EY-3A, 3B and 3C; each has the gray color tone arm and spindle cap.
RCA Victor Model 6-EY-3A portable

And one of the most collectible, desirable is the Elvis Presley RCA Model 7-EP-45 with 'the King's' much sought after autograph.
I don't have this model because I've not yet found one at a sane, reasonable price before or after restoration.

You mentioned a 'champagne silver" color. RCA Victor produced a few players with RP-190 record changers that have this nice champagne silver color on the motorboard. But they didn't have the gray tone arm and spindle cap; there is no reason why a repair technician might not have replaced the tone arm and spindle cap with a gray color, a possibility.

The RCA Victor 7-EY-2JJ and 7-EY-2HH have Edit: "champagne silver" motorboards that look like this:
RCA Victor 7-EY-2HH

Home Depot, Lowes and other popular home stores have the ability to run a paint spectrum color match, just bring the tone arm or spindle cap. Alternatively, a good automobile body shop can do a perfect match.

Good luck,

Jack

Jack, I have an RCA Victor 6-JY-1C player that works really well. I noticed though that when I play only 1 record on it the sound is wobbly but when I play a whole stack the wobbly sound disappears. Would getting one of those brass rings and putting those felt dots on the turntable improve the performance? I've had this player since late 2005 and I play it quite alot. Also, what is your opinion of those brass idler wheels that Willie Bosco makes? They look like they would be pretty durable and long lasting. Thanks Jack

PostPosted: Dec Wed 21, 2011 4:52 am 

Joe, to answer your questions.....
First, the "wobbly" distortion might be caused by a hardened idler wheel - slipping or out-of-round.
Might be needing some oil on its shaft.
Or, the motor shaft could have bits of old rubber stuck on it, making it "rough" - a good cleaning helps that.

The fact that it sounds better with weight of a stack helps the "flywheel effect" reducing this distortion.

The brass ring won't really help, other than looking snazzy.

Bosco's brass idler seems like a good idea, though I'm not familier with the result or improvement it could make.
I just new ones from Gary, and be done with it. :wink:

And Merry Christmas to you too and yours...... and your "42M" too :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Wed 21, 2011 6:35 pm 

Thanks RT. And thank you again for the 42M. I use this one more than all the
others because of the quiet operation and great sound. And it will play 8 45's
too without any problem. The difference between magnetic and ceramic is the
difference between night and day. I have been listening to ceramics so long I
was starting forget how good magnetic cartridges sound. I wouldn't even have
the 42M if I haven't got stung on Ebay. Thanks for making that one all right, RT.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 22, 2011 2:41 am 

vmguy wrote:
Thanks RT. And thank you again for the 42M. I use this one more than all the
others because of the quiet operation and great sound. And it will play 8 45's
too without any problem. The difference between magnetic and ceramic is the
difference between night and day. I have been listening to ceramics so long I
was starting forget how good magnetic cartridges sound. I wouldn't even have
the 42M if I haven't got stung on Ebay. Thanks for making that one all right, RT.

My pleasure, Joe. :wink: