Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 8:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips to look for on Columbia 360 changer
PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2012 7:40 pm 

I have a Columbia 360 with a V -W changer and I have refinished the exterior and added new replacement grill cloth so far.
The eletrolytics have been replaced and all the switches connections cleaned. So far, so good.

I'm in the final testing phase and the amp is ready to roll. I have been running tests with the changer and it will let me play a record at the correct speed and the volume on the old Sonotone 2T is great. Sounds awesome for a 1950's unit.

The issue i'm having is I can't get it to do anything automatically. All the gears and moving parts where cleaned with laquer thinner and are nice and clean now, and have been lubed with turbine oil. All the parts are present and connected as far as linkages go and when I lift it up and turn the wheel underneath by hand, it cycles the tonearm fine. It seems to not want to start the cyclying on its on if I use the "Reject" switch. It does move the slide underneath, but that does not seem to trigger anything on it's on.

Maybe you guys have run into a similiar issue like this before? Any tips or things to look for would be helpful Thanks
This is one of the 3 speed model V-W models.

Post subject: Re: Tips to look for on Columbia 360 changer
PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2012 12:55 am 

The trip pawl assembly is binding due to old lubricant on the pivots.
Unless the gear has been removed and the trip pawl taken apart and cleaned, it's not properly serviced.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2012 5:47 pm 

Thanks, I'll take a look at that and get my cleaning stuff out again. I've gotten to the point that I clean with laquer thinner, and then clean it a second time
just to avoid putting it all back together and having it need another cleaning. I typically learn lessons the hard way.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 14, 2012 4:17 am 

Sometimes it can take a few attempts to get it right, i had a difficult experience with a BSR minichanger, i stripped it down cleaned it up and regreased it. I changed the stylus and catridge, spent many hours on it.
I thought id done everything but when i tried it, it would spin at a constant speed very quiet turntable and it would drop records perfectly but on return the arm would lift off the record go halfway and stop.
I cleaned it three times and regreased before i got it right and now it works perfectly, one of my favourite turntables, even though back in the day it would have been cheap.
Dont give up is all im saying go back and check it all again.