Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 29, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox Console Phonograph Clicks and Won't Spin! (VIDEO)
PostPosted: Feb Wed 19, 2014 6:12 am 

Hello all,

Certainly a novice here. I have an old Magnavox console/coffee table radio/phonograph that's just a slight repair away from being 100% (I hope).

As you'll see in the video, the radio works great. When I turn it to Phonograph and turn the selector, the plinth begins to struggle to spin as it clicks loudly. The clicking is the white plastic gear underneath being unable to move the larger metal gear it's meshed with. I've come to two conclusions. 1, either the white gear is loose and just isn't doing it's job, or 2, the larger metal gear just won't turn.

You can see everything in the video. Please help, if you can! And please ignore the novice ways I'm handling things. I'm getting there. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWIlfQJZ ... e=youtu.be

Thanks!
Jim

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Console Phonograph Clicks and Won't Spin! (VIDE
PostPosted: Feb Wed 19, 2014 7:14 am 

Ive seen this happen on early 70's magnavox changers, the grease turns to glue with age and parts get stuck, Ive seen one where the turntable was siezed up so bad it could not be turned, even by hand. The mechanism and bearings needs to have all the old grease cleaned out, Best left to someone who knows how to work on record changers. its not something you can just spray some W-D 40 on.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2014 1:20 am 

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. Well, decision time!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2014 3:45 am 

The grease on the bearing of the main cycling cam has hardened and the cam has became very hard to turn.
What you are hearing is the intermediate gear slipping on the gear at the center of the turntable.

Very common problem. It will require removing the main cycling gear (big one), clean the post
that it rotates on and the center bearing of the cycling gear. It will be easier if you remove the
intermediate gear it's the white plastic gear about 2 inches in diameter held in with a circlip.

To reassemble note there are some notches cut into the intermediate gear, line those up with the
odd teeth in the main cycling gear, put it all back together and it should be good to go. I've done
hundreds of these things since the late 60's.

If you'd like a copy of the Magnavox Factory service manual PM your direct email address and I'll
email it to you. It will be Friday as I'm away from home now...

The info about a complete tear down, clean and lube is sound and will assure it will continue to work
a long time. That's a neat little set you have and kind of uncommon...