Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 22, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1958 Voice of Music VM Model 1000 Stereo Console
PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2015 1:28 am 

I will start a thread as soon as I'm ready to get started on it.

It was raining on & off here all weekend so the console went straight from the back of my station wagon into the garage and under a nice soft blanket...

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2015 6:51 am 

Given the year the FM tuner is most likely mono and may or may not have an option to add a MPX decoder. If it does not have that option and you want FM stereo you could build an MPX decoder and add it IF the source switching arrangement can handle a stereo signal on the tuner setting.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2015 3:40 am 

Very nice VM, I have always wanted one but could never find anything close,every one I found was always across the country. I liked them for the quality also well built . Glad you saved this from being stripped.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2015 8:43 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
Given the year the FM tuner is most likely mono and may or may not have an option to add a MPX decoder. If it does not have that option and you want FM stereo you could build an MPX decoder and add it IF the source switching arrangement can handle a stereo signal on the tuner setting.

Mine has the stereo record and stereo tape but mono FM. Would love stereo FM but I see no mention or hook ups for the MPX unit (like my Magnavox has).

Is there still a way to build and hook up a MPX unit to this? How do I know if the source switching arrangement can handle a stereo signal? Do you mean the tuner or control unit would need to have stereo inputs for the tuner? Sorry not sure what you mean.

Thanks
T

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2015 1:47 pm 

What I mean is whenever the console is set to the tuner that switch should be capable of handling a stereo signal and what I've found is usually on stereo units before FM stereo they will short the left and right channels together so the mono FM tuner will play through both speakers.

That said if you have the service info the schematic should show whether or not it can handle stereo audio in the tuner position.

If you can indeed add FM stereo then if the tuner has a de-emphasis filter that will need to be removed in order for the 19KHz pilot tone to be passed to the MPX decoder.

More than likely the AM and FM audio is selected by the bandswitch and then passes through the tuner selection switch and if so that's ok as the AM audio will pass right through the MPX decoder.

My advice would be to find a vintage MPX decoder, but a modern IC chip based MPX decoder will work quite well if not better than a vintage MPC decoder.

I at one time successfully interfaced a modern IC based MPX decoder chip to a tube type FM tuner that had a MPX output, but I had to reduce the audio level some and it did work quite well.

You may need to use a JFET buffer stage to ensure the tuner still sees a high impedance and that would also take care of the need to reduce the audio level going into the chip. Can be powered right off the tube heater wiring (provided one side of the heater wiring is grounded) with a voltage doubler to provide the necessary 12 Vdc.

If you use a modern IC based MPX decoder I am not sure how you would mount the stereo indicator light, but it is not necessarily important the light be seen unless you just like a light telling you the station is in FM stereo.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2015 4:05 am 

Just bought a VM 1000 .Found it on craigs list paid 100.00 . Console is in good shape as far as wood and finish. Main problem the am /fm receiver failed in the 70s and has been replaced with Sasui TU217 and AU 217 amp and tuner. record player looks new but not working. Unplugged reel to reel and turn table. It does sound good . What are the chances of finding repairable am/fm receiver to restore ?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2015 6:51 am 

It is highly unlikely you will find just the tuner for sale all alone. These units are pretty rare, they only produced the 1000 style a couple years and on top of that they changed from year to year. Example the tuner from a `60 will not work in a `58.

If you find a tuner it will more then likely still be inside of a complete VM 1000 console which will probably be in as good or better condition as the one you just bought. This is often why I pass on rarer units that are incomplete and molested like yours. There was a top of the line RCA SH-1 at my back door for $500 but it was missing the massive 15 inch speaker cabinets, something I would probably never find alone on their own so I passed.

BTW...do you have the twin amps in yours still? In the 1000 the tuner is a separate unit from the dual amplifiers. If you are missing those as well you might want to add them to the search list.

Good luck with it...if I hear of anything I will let you know.

T

PostPosted: Apr Wed 01, 2015 7:19 am 

There is a pair of Amps and a Tuner/Pre for a 1000 on eBay right now!!

Both are from the same seller so perhaps you could make him an offer on all 3 and get a better price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221730924403

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221730985458

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2015 3:28 am 

A V-M 1000 was recently given away on the Boston area Craigslist. The eBay seller is from Arlington, MA, a suburb of Boston. I wonder if the freebie console was parted out?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 03, 2015 5:00 am 

Well that would be an awful shame if someone gutted one of these beauties! :shock:

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2015 3:43 am 

wow i missed that.been way to busy. will keep looking for vm parts,have started on turn table.
Thanks for the reply on the parts .
todd

PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2015 8:43 am 

I would love to get infos about the upgrades made for the VM1000. I am experiencing a hum and cant seem to find where the source is. Have recapped the amp already. Even replaced some resistors that have drifted. I also replace the 6AU6 tubes, still no luck. Yes, I have played around with the hum balance pot, and minimized the hum but still audible. It does not get louder with the volume turned up. Have also checked all grounds. Can someone shed some light on this issue?
Here is mine.

Attachments:
12002834_437428176441063_4472784566567848987_n.jpg
12002834_437428176441063_4472784566567848987_n.jpg [ 127.53 KiB | Viewed 2296 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 5:42 am 

That's f-in awesome....makes me want to get mine out in the living room. Our problem is a three year old baby girl that loves to draw, poke holes, scratch, gouge, break anything of value that is out in the open...LOL I currently have my entire collections stashed between 4 rooms in my house. Our living areas are completely bare because of our lil' monster. Counting the days-months-years she improves (if she ever will!)

BTW what did you do to your hinges to get them to all stay lined up and not gradually fall down? That is the curse of the VM1000! I have two spare hinges and looking for a third that I can modify or experiment on and keep my originals...original.

Todd

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 5:53 am 

bastardbus wrote:
That's f-in awesome....makes me want to get mine out in the living room. Our problem is a three year old baby girl that loves to draw, poke holes, scratch, gouge, break anything of value that is out in the open...LOL I currently have my entire collections stashed between 4 rooms in my house. Our living areas are completely bare because of our lil' monster. Counting the days-months-years she improves (if she ever will!)

BTW what did you do to your hinges to get them to all stay lined up and not gradually fall down? That is the curse of the VM1000! I have two spare hinges and looking for a third that I can modify or experiment on and keep my originals...original.

Todd
The plastic discs. You may want to contact VM and ask if he still has the plastic discs for the hinges.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 6:02 pm 

ODYOFAEL wrote:

Todd
The plastic discs. You may want to contact VM and ask if he still has the plastic discs for the hinges.[/quote]

Yeah, I have all those there still, the originals but they really don't seem to hold up the extremely heavy weight of those 1 inch thick walnut lids. They stay up for a while then slowly start to droop....

I know this is common to all of the ones I have heard of (Gary's included)....you are saying yours does NOT have this issue at all?

T

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 6:13 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
ODYOFAEL wrote:

Todd
The plastic discs. You may want to contact VM and ask if he still has the plastic discs for the hinges.

Yeah, I have all those there still, the originals but they really don't seem to hold up the extremely heavy weight of those 1 inch thick walnut lids. They stay up for a while then slowly start to droop....

I know this is common to all of the ones I have heard of (Gary's included)....you are saying yours does NOT have this issue at all?

T[/quote] I don't. I leave them up. Only close them when dusting off the top. Make sure to clean thr discs and the metal part where it slides with alcohol ot windex. NO LUBE. Then assmble, make sure its tight. Use a needle nose pæiers to get that extra click from the adjustinh knob.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

Yes, mine are clean as can be...no lube obviously.

Only thing I do not do is the "extra click" with the needle nose pliers. Always been worried about stripping the threads or breaking the studs off trying to forcefully tighten them. I am guessing that is why you leave yours up all the time as with the "extra click" with a pliers you would need a pliers to let them back down as well :) Another reason I have not done that.

Again, I am not the only one with this issue as Gary at VM will attest all VM 1000s have this issue. Gary even wrote up and printed off a method to modify your hinges with a notch to keep them from slowly falling.

It seems obvious yours would slowly slide down as well if you did not take a pliers and crank em down tight. Otherwise what would you be cranking them down so tight with a pliers for? :wink:

T

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 9:13 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
Yes, mine are clean as can be...no lube obviously.

Only thing I do not do is the "extra click" with the needle nose pliers. Always been worried about stripping the threads or breaking the studs off trying to forcefully tighten them. I am guessing that is why you leave yours up all the time as with the "extra click" with a pliers you would need a pliers to let them back down as well :) Another reason I have not done that.

Again, I am not the only one with this issue as Gary at VM will attest all VM 1000s have this issue. Gary even wrote up and printed off a method to modify your hinges with a notch to keep them from slowly falling.

It seems obvious yours would slowly slide down as well if you did not take a pliers and crank em down tight. Otherwise what would you be cranking them down so tight with a pliers for? :wink:

T

Dont use the pliers then. If your fingers are strong enough, yiu can get that extra click doing it manually with no tools. The pliers was just a suggestion. And when you say cranking, that is I think different from turning it an 8th more to tighten it.
Different folks, different strokes. If it strips which I doubt, then Ill replace it.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 01, 2015 9:39 pm 

https://youtu.be/FjSra1YRrcI

PostPosted: Oct Fri 02, 2015 12:20 am 

Well, I guess you are the lucky one that got the only VM 1000 that does not have hinges that slip.
:roll:

...sure looked like that middle one was starting to come down to me in your vid. :P

BTW it is not an immediate thing...it takes a bit of time before they start to slip and sag from the weight. VM cured the issue immediately with the new model VM 1000 by installing a single lid and completely different single heavy duty spring mechanism.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next