Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A75 talking book record player
PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 12:14 am 

A friend gave me this model A75 talking book record player that was built by Interstate Industries for the Library of Congress for loan to participants in the talking book program for the blind and physically handicapped. This unit plays 8, 16, and 33 rpm and uses an IC-based amp. When I got it, the volume was very weak; but, that was easily fixed by replacing an open 25 uf bypass cap on the audio IC.

During the '70's, these players came in many colors (usually, a different color for each model year).

Post subject: Re: A75 talking book record player
PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 12:22 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Here's an A-80.
Bill J.

Attachments:
A-8O.jpg
A-8O.jpg [ 236.5 KiB | Viewed 1772 times ]
A-80 2.jpg
A-80 2.jpg [ 253.1 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 12:46 am 

I remember those, too. Actually, the A77 (beige) and A79 (green) were the most common machines that were in use around here; but, the A77-A80 were basically the same machine, except for the case color. The A72-A76 were similar; but, had different record guides and had no auto shut-off.

The A80 was the last machine made before the A1 was introduced, circa 1990. During the time when no machines were made, they simply used their supply of '70's machines.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 3:59 am 

Who made these machines?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 4:03 am 

This one is made by Interstate Industries. The newest ones are made by Telex. The older ones are usually made by either Waters-Conley, Warwick, or Westinghouse. I've seen some really old ones made by DeWald and US Recording Corp.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 23, 2014 4:23 am 

The A-75 looks pretty well made.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 15, 2016 5:51 pm 

Hi, new memeber. Saw your pics of your player and was wondering if you could tell me about the model A-78's? We stumbked across this one and really do not know anything about it. Any information would be helpful and appreciated
I do have pictures, just having problem getting it small enough to load....

PostPosted: Oct Sun 16, 2016 6:27 pm 

Ftwwalker wrote:
Hi, new memeber. Saw your pics of your player and was wondering if you could tell me about the model A-78's? We stumbked across this one and really do not know anything about it. Any information would be helpful and appreciated
I do have pictures, just having problem getting it small enough to load....

The A78 should be the red one and it's from 1978. Like the others, it will play 8, 16, and 33 rpm library of congress talking books. As far as value, they're not worth much (technically, it's illegal to sell them) and about the only people who would want them would be people who still have talking books on record and need something to play them on. Over the years, I've given these types of players to such people.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 13, 2017 9:48 pm 

Hi all

First ever post here

I have a A-76 which is Orange. I have just plugged it in and it spins and sounds as though the speaker works but I have no needle. Is anyone able to help me get the correct one? It states that its needing a 83-D but I want to make sure I order the correct one.

Also any other info regarding this machine would be great. I really want to get it back up and running and in my room playing records (I found it in a school basement). Any help much appreciated

Regards

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 1:45 am 

Ayupchap wrote:
Hi all

First ever post here

I have a A-76 which is Orange. I have just plugged it in and it spins and sounds as though the speaker works but I have no needle. Is anyone able to help me get the correct one? It states that its needing a 83-D but I want to make sure I order the correct one.

Also any other info regarding this machine would be great. I really want to get it back up and running and in my room playing records (I found it in a school basement). Any help much appreciated

Regards

www.thevoiceofmusic.com has them. Click on cartridges on the left-hand side of the screen, go to cartridge brand, click on Astatic, click on the one that says 911, and a list of various power point cartridges will come up. The 83D is the one you need and it's the one with dual diamond LP (.7 mil) tips.