Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Fri 20, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wurlitzer 800 Jukebox Animation (Pillaster) Plastics Lights
PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 1:38 pm 

When I restored my Wurlitzer 800 I used 11 watt bulbs such as you would find in an old outdoor advertising sign. I used those instead of 15 watt bulbs because of a concern about excess heat damaging the stationary and rotating plastics.  It seems like it should be some brighter than it is but I would rather have it that way than damage the animation plastics.  Has anyone used 15 watt bulbs in their Wurlitzer 800 pilasters? My fancy manual seems to be missing (or never had that info).  Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wurlitzer 800 Jukebox Animation (Pillaster) Plastics Lig
PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 5:17 pm 

15 Watt bulbs are still available, but not too easily. I've used them in all my jukes, including the model 800.

Good choice, in my opinion, to use the 11 watt bulbs. Those ad sign lamps seem to last a lot longer. If you want more longevity, and brighter lighting, try soft white LED lights.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 6:26 pm 

The sign bulbs are rated for 130 Volts so they should outlast me easily. I looked to see if they were still available. The company I purchased from some years ago does not have any clear ones, just red ones. I bought a few extras anyway. I'll keep the clear ones, they do look really nice unless the room is brightly lit. Some years ago, perhaps on the jukebox list, there was a discussion about the light from LEDS discoloring the plastic. I, Duh, Don't Know, way too complex for me! As little as I use it I am sure the LEDS regardless would be fine.

Yeah, when I see 7-1/2 Watt bulbs or 15 watt bulbs, NOS, at a garage sale I buy them.

Thanks for you advice!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 03, 2017 8:19 pm 

I didn't know LED's discolored the plastic. Do you mean that they permanently stain the plastic, or shift the color range?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 04, 2017 2:39 pm 

I am not at all sure LEDS do anything to plastic or colors. It was a conversation that surfaced somewhere, I thought the jukebox list but not at all certain. I know it was in reference to a jukebox. If LEDS do I imagine it would be a over a long period of time. Perhaps others will enlighten me on this LED possibility. Someone once brought up using those fluorescent grow lights or such for a neat color and the concern there was also for effects on the plastics. The new "blue-light (UV) adhesives are interesting and my dentist has been using UV for sometime. LEDS certainly are not that but? I'll take a look on the internet and see if anyone has posted anything.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 06, 2017 6:02 am 

15 watt A15 style (aka "appliance bulb") incandescent with a standard medium base? 1000 bulbs.com has both clear and frosted.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2861/ ... A15CL.html

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5444/ ... A15FR.html

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 6:20 am 

Hi. I have an 800 also I use 15 watt frosted incandescence lamps. The amount of light coming through the plastics I have noticed has changed over he years as the plastics oxidize from onyx to a dark yellow. Fred

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 11:33 am 

I imagined Wurlitzer intended those bulbs to be 15 Watts. I clean the plastics very well and use a 50/50 mix of ammonia and 409. I scrub and rinse with a hose quickly. I am not too sure about those chemicals on the plastic for very long. Anyway the plastics really brighten up and the grease, nicotine and other stuff just rolls off the plastic. The ammonia is very strong so I always do it outside and avoid breathing the fumes. I wear nitrile gloves too. I still like Novus Plastic Polish #2 best to have shiny plastics.

I was too concerned about heat so I chickened out for the 11 watt bulbs. The 800 is a really big, heavy machine. When we restored it I did the case, moved it into its home and then my wife and I carried each major component in and installed it. These days of old age I am not so sure I could even do that.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 4:41 pm 

The upper plastic lights where my main concern. I bent the light socket bracket slightly to keep the lights away from the plastic surface. I had to actually sand my plastics especially the yellow ones to get down to the light cream (onyx) color. The Catalin plastics are impervious to many chemicals. Fred