Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 25, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1950 RCA 3HES5
PostPosted: Apr Tue 11, 2017 3:11 am 

Hello, I have been working on a RCA 3HES5.
I downloaded the schematic and started figuring out the inside of the chassis, however my chassis was worked on at some point and had some extra capacitors installed. The original electrolytic were kept inside, but there was an extra 100 uf 200v cap added. I believe that the 100 was wired to do the job of the original 80uf, and an extra wire went to the pin where the red wire that went to the 80 uf.
I replaced the original capacitors, and took out the extra 100uf, when I replaced the 30/80/10 uf cardboard cap. The machine passes a dim bulb test, but at the moment there is no sound coming through at all. I check the speaker, and it is fine. I need to check the transformer. I am wondering if anyone has some pics of the inside of their chassis of this machine to compare to what I have. I have gone over the new caps and everything is in the correct spots according to my pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture that includes the extra cap.

Attachments:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg [ 37.52 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1950 RCA 3HES5
PostPosted: Apr Tue 11, 2017 3:57 pm 

Put an ohm meter across the primary of your output transformer with the speaker connected. You should hear a crackle from the speaker each time the connection is made as the meter's current goes through the transformer. If not, I would say your transformer is suspect.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

Thanks I will try that

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 2:05 am 

In preparing to test the transformer I noticed a little piece of wire that had come off of where it was suppose to be connected check my pics and then soldered and it, and now it's working. Ow for some more cleaning and tests.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 8:13 am 

Back in the day, many service shops simply bridged a new electrolytic across the defective one. It was a quick, cheap repair but not a good practice. The 3HES5 is a 1954 model and was one of RCA's first three New Orthophonic High Fidelity phonographs. It's a great sounding set and one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the information,

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 7:41 pm 

The 3-HES-5 had two optional stands available. One with twin 5.25 inch speakers and one without. I picked this one up for $10 from a local house flipper that just wanted to get rid of it. It needs to be refinished and the electronics and record changer need complete service but it was a good buy. Behind it is a 3-HS-61 console from the same sales brochure. It's a bit more rare and I had to pay more than I wanted to for it. The cabinet is in in similar condition. I've restored the amplifier and it thunders.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 10:56 pm 

Very cool. Mine is a present for my dad. He had it in storage for a while and has forgotten about it. The cabinet was a blonde finish but in really bad shaped. I refinished it to a walnut color just slightly darker than the.natural oak and looks great.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 11:23 pm 

I refinished my first 3-HES-5 in my high school woodshop class way back in 1970. I recovered the whole exterior in walnut veneer. The original grille cloth was a filthy rag. I added a few black accents trying to make it look more modern. It still looks good today.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 13, 2017 12:56 am 

I've seen more than one dead RCA amplifier after a basic recap. Take your ohm meter, and with power OFF, check every resistor to see if you get a reading. You don't have to check it for value, but just to see if you get a good reading. If you run across a resistor that simply won't read, there's the culprit, and that resistor is open and needs replaced.

One other thing can cause this. Those miniature cheapo wafer tube sockets can be wallowed out enough to cause a bad tube connection and the set may not have any sound. Remove the tubes, and go underneath and pinch those sockets almost shut all the way around with small needlenose pliars so that you'll make a great tight connection when you reinsert the tubes..... I forgot to do this on one RCA that I restored, and it didn't have any sound. Then, when I tightened the sockets and reinserted the tubes, there was sound... and plenty of it..........

PostPosted: Apr Thu 13, 2017 5:11 pm 

thanks Larry for the info, I saw the 3Hes5 that you have posted, awesome piece. Could you tell me how you put in your tweeter and what size of a cross over capacitor, I think that would be cool to add.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 1:17 am 

The player has a little bass reflex chamber behind the left side of the baffle. When I removed the baffle to replace the grille cloth, I cut a little 3.5-inch hole in the bass reflex area of the baffle with a circle saw and mounted a 3.5-inch RCA hard paper cone tweeter inside the chamber. I used a 4-mfd non-polarized crossover capacitor. The highs sparkle.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 2:51 am 

Eforrester wrote:
thanks Larry for the info, I saw the 3Hes5 that you have posted, awesome piece. Could you tell me how you put in your tweeter and what size of a cross over capacitor, I think that would be cool to add.

The speaker board cover has lots of holes in it, like pegboard. I mounted a 3.5 inch RCA tweeter on the back of that speaker board cover, and hooked it up with a crossover capacitor like Douglas VanCleave used. The only problem was, you had to have the cabinet lid raised to hear the tweeter! However, it did make a huge sound difference.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 1:40 pm 

thanks guys, the original speaker is 4 ohm, does the tweeter need to be of the same impedance? I would assume that an 8 ohm would do the job.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 8:02 pm 

It should be fine. If you were to use a 4-ohm tweeter or two 8-ohm tweeters in parallel you would use an 8 to 10-mfd crossover capacitor.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 4:36 pm 

I tested some resistors and replaced the power cord over the weekend. Went to do another test while plugged into the dim bulb tester and had a little bit of him and weak audio that wasn't Sams strong as before. I went back and checked my work and moved some of the parts away from each other like the schematic said. Went to do another test and noticed that a tube had a crack on it. Would a bad tube make it hum a bit? The tube is a bit white now so I ordered a replacement it was one of the 50c5s.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 6:52 pm 

RE: 50C5 tube.
This is one of your power tubes. By definition, if a vacuum tube is cracked it not longer
will maintain its vacuum. That is probably why you had so little audio output.

I would replace both 50C5 power tubes. These tubes are known to have
shorter life duration than other power tubes.
50C5's are cheap, too !!

Have you tested the other audio tubes yet ? This would be a good idea.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 7:07 pm 

I do not have a tester, but the other tubes are lighting up. I have ordered two 50c5s.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

Don't plug a phonograph into a dim-bulb tester. That will force the motor to run at reduced voltage which will cause it to run very hot, potentially even burning out. AC induction motors such as used in phonographs must be run at rated voltage.

-David

PostPosted: Apr Mon 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

I've never ran the record motor while on the just the chassis usually on radio, but thanks for the information