Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 19, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Needed Collaro w711 Record Changer
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 1:34 am 

Help,
I have cleaned and lubed the turntable as well as I can without major disassembly, the motor works, the platter turns although somewhat slower while the changer is in operation. the problem I am having is that the arm does not go low enough in the play position for the stylus to touch the record surface.

under the arm is a small lifting pin that raises and lowers the arm during operation. in the play mode, the lifting pin is still protruding under the arm by about 1/4" and looks like it should go down flush. am I missing something?

does anyone have a scan of a w700/w800 turntable service manual?

thank you for your help

Randy

KK4ROV

Post subject: Re: Help Needed Collaro w711 Record Changer
PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:24 am 

1. Find the record changer info here:
You will need to join, but it's a good site, also.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/magnavox/w801.shtml

2. Is the lift pin rusted or have dried oil/grease on it ?
It may be sticking due to above reasons.

3. Also, there are numerous threads here on ARF Phonos,
with more info on these changers. Do a search here.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 2:41 am 

Hotwax,
thank you. the pin is free and moves up and down easily. it is lifted with a pivot arm from under the deck and it is actuated by a cam on the large gear. all of that works as it should, the arm (which does not appear to be adjustable) holds the pin just slightly too high.

I have searched this forum and found no usable info about this issue.

thanks for the link to vinyl engine, already a member.... download underway

Randy

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 12:47 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
I doubt that somebody replaced the lift pin with one that is too long although I have seen it. There should be a pin height screw adjustment underneath to the left or right that attaches to a small lever that is then lowered or raised affecting the pin.

Look for a small metal leaf over the bottom of the pin that is flat from the anchor until it gets to the pin and then it angles down a little bit. Follow it back to the anchor and the spacing screw should be right around there somewhere.

I've also seen cases where it didn't have an ajustment screw i.e. the screw just went into a pre drilled hole at the opp end of the leaf - and the very small (<1/16-inch wide) washer between the underside of the leaf and the post it's attached to is either missing in the case of metal or destroyed/deteriorated on the case of nylon or fiber.

On those it should go
Retaining screw
Arm/Leaf
Washer
Post mount

If none of that works and the mech diag doesn't help you any - take a needlenose and bend the end of the leaf down a teeny bit should solve your problem.

On the ones with two cams (one under the turntable and the other mini-cam under the tone arm) - the one under the tone arm could be wonky.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 11:25 pm 

Update,
downloaded and studied the manual (the w800 is a bit different than the w700 but close enough to get the general idear). adjusted per instructions in the section about pickup tracking adjustments and no joy. it appears there is sufficient wear in the upper vertical tone arm pivot to upset the adjustment of the lift pin.

So, I took your advice ndiamone and bent the lifting arm slightly to lower the pin. everything now works as it should.

worked it's way through a sack of six 45s and five 33s (not at the same time) and works smoothly.

thank you for your help

Randy

KK4ROV