Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sat 25, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Show Us Your Post WW2 Jukebox
PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 7:40 pm 

This is the third part of the series. Here, we'd like to see your machines of any year after 1946. I'll start with a 1946 Wurlitzer Model 1015.

Attachments:
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG [ 81.25 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Post subject: Re: Show Us Your Post WW2 Jukebox
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 3:09 am 

This "family portrait" was taken a couple years ago while I was in the process of overhauling 2 Ristaucrat record changers for customers at the same time. The home model on the left, the non selectable model to its right plus the silver S-45 selectable model on the end are mine. The others are the repair jobs. I hope I never have another opportunity to take a picture like this, those record changers can be a bear to get working right!
Attachment:
Ristaucrats.jpg
Ristaucrats.jpg [ 229.81 KiB | Viewed 764 times ]

MrLee

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 12:16 pm 

Here is our post war machines:

Rock-Ola 1478 Image

Rock-Ola 1422 Image

Wurlitzer 1100 Image

Wurlitzer 1015 Image

Seeburg R (Project) Image

AMI Continental 2 Image

Rock-Ola 1484 Wall Mount Image

Seeburg 201 Image

Wurlitzer 2150 Image

Another Seeburg R Image

Seeburg G Image

Seeburg B (just given to Nephew)Image

Rock-Ola 1422 (mostly - Assembled with some 1426 parts as well)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 5:08 pm 

Wow! You guys rock!

Mrlee, that is an amazing picture! I've never so many Aristaucrats together. I remember now, you were a great help with advice on how to get mine working.

Juke47, what a fantastic collection! There are some really great gems there.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:43 am 

Here's a couple more post-war jukes that are currently unburied enough to get a picture of.

Williams Music Mite, circa 1951
Attachment:
Music Mite.jpg
Music Mite.jpg [ 204.66 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]

Chicago Coin Hit Parade, circa 1950
Attachment:
Hit Parader.jpg
Hit Parader.jpg [ 218.68 KiB | Viewed 698 times ]

You're welcome Russie. Is your Ristaucrat still behaving itself after repairs? Their reputation for poor reliability is well deserved. I don't think I've ever had a repair on one of those last more than 4-5 years of home use before needing another rehab visit :lol: The Music Mite is no better, just different problems. The Hit Parade I don't know much about yet, it's a pending project picked up 1 of the 2 times I've ever seen one.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 9:46 am 

Chicago Coin and Music Mite - Nice machines! I had several opportunities to get several some years ago; wish I had. I cannot recall ever seeing one on location when I was young but I sure remember the 45 RPM RCA's. Thanks for the Pics!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 12:37 am 

The Ristaucrat got traded for a group of wall boxes, so it is no longer in our collection. It is still working as far as I know. I'm in touch with the now owner sort of regularly and they have not mentioned any troubles with it. I recall it had a loose post that operated the credit adding solenoid. I couldn't get the end that attached to the chassis to peen well enough to keep it rigid, so I had to build a reinforcing bridge to keep it from wobbling loose. After some amp work and adjustment of the stack gearing, it seemed to work well.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 16, 2017 3:12 am 

Here is a before/after photo of my AMI E-120 that I finished recently, my first jukebox restoration. I found it locally, owner lost the key. When I got it home and obtained a key, there was still over $200 in coins in the coin bag from the late 60's - just about paid for the machine. I always admired jukeboxes when I was a kid and I am finally able to collect a few machines as I see them pop-up locally if reasonably priced. I am finding that they are as addicting as radios. Awaiting restoration (so far) is an AMI C, Wurlitzer 1400 and a Wurlitzer 2204. I have been hoping to find a Wurlitzer 1100 project (or other 40's Wurlitzer) but no luck yet...

Matt

PostPosted: Jan Mon 16, 2017 12:36 pm 

Matt,
That is a really nice machine. They were great workhorses and nice since a complex selection system was not needed with a button for every side of each record. I like the blue light, too! I've never found more than a couple coins in any machine I ever had!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 16, 2017 5:57 pm 

That AMI is a nice machine. I had one once and it was one of the sweetest sounding machines in the collection. It was a workhorse too. We used it at several parties and it was in the background of a LA area Television commercial. It seemed to keep working no matter how many times we moved it.

Once brought a Wurlitzer 800 back from Kansas. The owner was the son of a music operator, and there was a story that went along with the machine. It seems that they believed the machine was haunted by a ghost which would steal money out of the cash box. They believed that, because the play meter and the coins retrieved never seemed to match. The machine was always locked away at night, so they dismissed the possibility of a human thief.

When I began to work on it, I noticed that about every fourth coin would not yield a credit. After carefully observing, I caught a movement at the base of the slug rejector, and found that the gap between the slug rejector and the grinder was a little too big and offset significantly. The coins were sometimes bouncing off and falling behind the coin board. I pulled the coin board out and discovered that the entire front corner of the machine was like a huge pocket and hundreds of coins had piled up in that area. Most of them were pre-1950 nickels, dimes and quarters!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 3:15 am 

Thanks guys. It was a fun restoration and I look forward to starting on the next one. I think it was a good machine to cut my teeth on.

I know many AMI's aren't terribly popular, but I am quite impressed with it. It is very reliable and quite easy to service. The amp preforms well and the machine has nice sound. Add the lighting and animation and it is quite a nice machine. I think they are underrated.

Matt

PostPosted: Jan Tue 17, 2017 6:55 pm 

This our 1952 Seeburg M100C. This model enjoyed high popularity and thus is quite common. Yet, it is one of the most attractive of the early 45 rpm machines.

Attachments:
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG [ 133.9 KiB | Viewed 545 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 19, 2017 2:00 am 

I agree an AMI (up to a G-200) is a great first juke to learn on. They are very straightforward to work on, and built like a Checker cab, such that they don't need to be pulled away from the wall to service anything. The back is solid so everything is accessed from the front of the machine.
I have a G-120, and when I first got it an old, now deceased, operator friend had to look inside it for his initials on the service record in it. He had run many of them back in the day. The American School for the Deaf is here in Hartford, and he ran the box there. He told me that they kept a G running there until the late 80's, with the tweeter disconnected. With the downward firing woofer, it was the best machine for the school dances. With the kids shoes off, they could feel the beat of the music through the floor to dance to.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 9:03 am 

WOW! That is a great looking Seeburg C!! I like it the best of all the Seeburg early 45 Players!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 20, 2017 6:54 pm 

Here is Lori's favorite jukebox. It's a 1954 Rockola 1454. Unrestored, except the mechanical and electronic systems have been rebuilt.

Attachments:
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG [ 123.1 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sat 21, 2017 11:09 am 

A beautiful machine! I haven't seen many of those around and never a nicer machine than yours!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 21, 2017 8:36 pm 

mrlee, I love your Music Mite on the stand! Quite a nice combination.

Also, that is a very interesting story about the school. So true, how a 15" speaker can make enough energy to vibrate the floor and other objects in the vicinity. I can feel my body vibrate from low notes on some of our jukeboxes.

PS, I'm reminiscing... I roomed with two other guys at 930 Asylum Ave, in Hartford, waaaay back in the day!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 9:52 am 

Here's my Seeburg Stereophonic Q100 that I got around January of 2011, not a bad looking box at all, and one of the last with a visible mechanism.

Attachment:
seeburgq100.jpg
seeburgq100.jpg [ 36.54 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

And a Seeburg M100B that my Dad bought in 1964, I got it around 1989 and restored it to working condition.
This lousy picture is about 26 years old but it looks the same now.

Attachment:
seeburgM100B.jpg
seeburgM100B.jpg [ 52.43 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 6:41 pm 

Nice Seeburgs!

My Dad had a Seeburg Q100 when I was much younger. It played for many years until it went into the garage for storage. It stayed there for about 15 years, and then I inherited it. After adjusting the coin system and replacing the needle, I plugged it in and was pleased to learn that it still worked well.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 10:12 pm 

The only thing I have jukebox-wise is a Rock-Ola 484 which honestly, needs to go away...

Otherwise, I do have a Capehart Amperion, but I don't think it qualifies as a jukebox. :lol:

-Steve

Attachments:
rock-ola484.jpg
rock-ola484.jpg [ 78.64 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next