Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reviving a Wurlitzer 2304 Stereo Jukebox
PostPosted: Oct Sun 08, 2017 3:57 pm 

Tim - How did you recreate the decals and what type of paper did you print them on?

Nice job by the way.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 12:52 am 

tunerman wrote:
Tim - How did you recreate the decals and what type of paper did you print them on?

Nice job by the way.

It was a bit involved. Mostly I used what I was familiar with. I used calibers and rulers to find the dimensions of the various pieces. I used Photoshop Elements software. I didn't have drawing software that seemed to do what I wanted so I drew the lines, arcs, etc. using drafting tools at an enlarged scale. I used calligraphy pens which have chisel felt tips of various widths. I then scanned in the artwork and used it as a starting point.
Attachment:
DrawingLabelsE1.jpg
DrawingLabelsE1.jpg [ 106.78 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Photoshop allows you to scale things, select portions, copy and move. You can also add text and even arc the text. I used a laser printer and after some trials with normal paper, I printed onto clear "Waterslide Decal Paper" by World-Paper. Found on Amazon. They make a inkjet version also.
One of the YouTube links I posted about earlier, the one by Roberto Talamini, used this technique. I noticed some of the wording was different from the ones on my amp.
BTW, I recently came across a sheet of decals online, ebay I think. Maybe from Talamini.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 11, 2017 12:49 am 

Thanks for sharing. :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Sun 15, 2017 10:58 pm 

I wanted to add a button that would allow several selections after you push it, simulating a coin drop.
The coils that are activated when a coin drops are such that they should have current through them only briefly,as when a coin momentarily passes through the coin sorter. The coils would overheat and be damaged if the current continued any length of time. Since I could never be certain the person pushing the button would know this, I wanted to add a timer or pulse circuit. After some experimenting I came up with a simple relay circuit.
Attachment:
FreePlayCirctE1.jpg
FreePlayCirctE1.jpg [ 35.43 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

The capacitors, tantalum btw, charge up to 14-15V. When you push the button the caps discharge into the relay coil (320 ohm). There is enough charge to close the relay contacts for about 28 milliseconds. The top resistor doesn't allow enough current to flow to keep the contacts closed.

The circuit was small enough to fit into an empty space in the "Playrak" or coin registration unit.
Attachment:
RelayE01.jpg
RelayE01.jpg [ 85.43 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

Attachment:
RelayE02.jpg
RelayE02.jpg [ 99.82 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

I had replaced one of the plastic play instruction inserts near the selection keys because it was aged. I
cleaned up the old plastic and removed the printing with solvent. I mounted the new button in this old plastic piece and will use it to replace a second instruction insert on the other side.
Attachment:
HalfDollButtonE1.jpg
HalfDollButtonE1.jpg [ 68.66 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

The number of selections you can make after pressing the button is set in the "Playrak", 1 to 10.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 9:05 pm 

Buttons, buttons and buttons!
For the last several weeks I have been dealing with the buttons or selection keys. These keys are in two parts, a inner piece of ivory plastic with numbers or letters on the front, and a outer clear cap. Just about all the keys had some amount of cement at the back edge to keep them together.
Attachment:
TypicalKeyE1.jpg
TypicalKeyE1.jpg [ 86.22 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

A problem seemed to be that the cement didn't completely seal the back edge. Either from rain or spilt beverages, moisture had made its way inside. The inner ivory plastic is softer than the caps, and mildew had occurred and discolored the plastic. I had to separate the two parts to clean them. They smelt bad also.
Attachment:
DiscolorKeyE1.jpg
DiscolorKeyE1.jpg [ 106.86 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

A few keys looked like they had been eaten by the mold and one had also cracked, probably from something hitting the key, #19.
Attachment:
BadKeysE1.jpg
BadKeysE1.jpg [ 107.71 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

I was able to find a few keys on ebay, but no #19. I did find a #16, so I thought about surgery. I would slice the 6 off, rotate it and glue it back as a 9. I lashed together a miter box to keep the angle of cut correct using some steel bars, vice and clamp.
Attachment:
PreSurgeryE1.jpg
PreSurgeryE1.jpg [ 121.73 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Attachment:
KeySurgeryE1.jpg
KeySurgeryE1.jpg [ 104.25 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Attachment:
KeyCutE1.jpg
KeyCutE1.jpg [ 112.24 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Attachment:
KeyRotateE1.jpg
KeyRotateE1.jpg [ 106.67 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

I'm going to make this a two parter. To be continued!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 03, 2017 9:21 pm 

I my earlier post I showed the crazy length I went to fixing a key. I was able to fix up a few of the others by using plastic filler, paint, etc. I used a toothpick to repaint the numbers on some.
Attachment:
FixedKeysE1.jpg
FixedKeysE1.jpg [ 113.36 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

If you were to look close in person you might notice some of the keys don't look factory, but otherwise they look OK.
Time to but things back together.
Attachment:
KeybordPostE1.jpg
KeybordPostE1.jpg [ 117.14 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

A closer look. I polished the chrome, wish it wasn't so scratched.
Attachment:
TogetherE1.jpg
TogetherE1.jpg [ 101.92 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

Now I'll have to get to the changer mechanism which isn't at my home. Everything else checks out.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 4:31 pm 

Aren't those pushbuttons available from Victory Glass?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 04, 2017 5:39 pm 

Ken Layton wrote:
Aren't those pushbuttons available from Victory Glass?

Sure, a set for $125 plus shipping! The couple I got online required cleaning up also.
The owner isn't interested in restoring the unit to like new condition. "Just get it working." but I can't help going a little beyond that.
I could also get the metal parts re-chromed, but that's not in the cards for now at least.
The wood sides could stand to be refinished also.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 5:15 am 

I got a chance to work on the changer mechanism a couple of weeks ago. I got it out of the cabinet and started the cleaning and lubricating. I located a switch which I think has to do with loading the record carousel. The wires to it had been cut and then twisted back together, no insulation on the splices. That started me wondering if the switch was good. There was a button elsewhere that had a similar construction that didn't work well. Because I couldn't find a button to replace it that would fit, I had disassembled it and cleaned it. I wish I had taken pictures of that. I tested the switch with a meter and sure enough it was intermittent. This switch is activated by a lever that the switch handle fit into and therefore a replacement switch would of had to have the same handle. So I decided to take the switch apart and clean it.
Attachment:
LoadSwitchUnderE.jpg
LoadSwitchUnderE.jpg [ 120.87 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

Attachment:
LoadSwitchAboveE.jpg
LoadSwitchAboveE.jpg [ 113.54 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

I drilled the heads off the rivets and then used a punch to drive them out.
Attachment:
LoadSwitchE1.jpg
LoadSwitchE1.jpg [ 128.05 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

The switch has a small metal dumbbell shaped part that rolls back and forth at the bottom of a cavity. It is pushed back and forth by a spring with a insulated fork that fits in the dumbbell groove. The cavity has a ridge down the middle that guides the dumbbell. On the other end of the spring is a part with a depression that fit on the inside end of the toggle handle.
Attachment:
LoadSwitchE2.jpg
LoadSwitchE2.jpg [ 125 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

As the dumbbell moves to one end of the cavity, it makes contact with two brass pieces that are connected to the terminals. That closes the connection between the terminals. I cleaned the parts, put some De-oxide on the dumbbell and a tiny dab of grease on the ends of the spring assembly.
Attachment:
LoadSwitchE3.jpg
LoadSwitchE3.jpg [ 144.24 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

I had also drilled out slightly the rivet holes to fit 2-56 screws. I had to cut the screws to the right length.
Attachment:
LoadSwitchE4.jpg
LoadSwitchE4.jpg [ 132 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 4:23 am 

Hello Tim
Nice job and great save on those power switches Deox is great stuff I need to order some more .
anyway I have a rock-ola from the 50s to redo plus my walbox unit

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 5:08 pm 

Been following your progress on your juke! I have a 2204 console model in my house that is all back to playing order with a magnetic cartridge instead of the cobra. But I also have a parts unit/junker in my garage, a model 2200, and it is a stereo model. Has a stereo amp and Stereo Hifi or something similar on the dome glass. So I guess it is a 1958 Stereo model. Also, I think the plastic panels from a junked lcd tv set makes excellent mechanism shelf panels that are always disintegrated in these machines.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 8:12 pm 

SteveT wrote:
But I also have a parts unit/junker in my garage, a model 2200, and it is a stereo model. Has a stereo amp and Stereo Hifi or something similar on the dome glass. So I guess it is a 1958 Stereo model.

You might want to double check. I'm not a great expert on jukeboxes. 2200 would be 1958, but as I understand it the 2300 series in 1959 was the first to be offered in a stereo version. Could be converted I suppose.
http://www.jukebox-world.de/Forum/Archi ... er2204.htm

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 9:10 pm 

You know, you might be right! This model does say Stereo something or other printed on the inside of the dome, has the wider head tone arm to take the larger stereo cartridge, has the stereo amp but otherwise looks exactly like the models in the pictures, only they don't have the stereo imprint on the glass and stereo tone arm! I bought this thing from a jukebox/arcade game business as a parts box. I supposed they made a Frankenstein box! But it was in a fire with sticky smoke and nicotine and kitchen grease baked on the mechanism with several important parts missing, not worth the effort in my opinion. Sorry I doubted you! Have a great time restoring yours!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:59 pm 

Time for an update.
Here is a picture that includes the cart I made to hold the mechanism while I worked on it. I estimate the mechanism weighs about 100 lbs.
Attachment:
MechCartE1.jpg
MechCartE1.jpg [ 130.99 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

I needed to clean the brown deposit off of the record guide. I don't know what this stuff is, tobacco residue, west Texas dust, mold, etc. or all of those. From the records that were in the machine it seems likely this spent some time in a "boot scootin" honkytonk. The hinges on the glass front are damaged so maybe they removed the glass at some point. Also the wood sides are water damaged and some of the steel chassis in the bottom were rusted. I tried blue window cleaner with ammonia, naphtha, and several other things. I didn't try alcohol because sometimes that effects paint. One thing that seemed to do wonders was "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner.
This picture shows the cleaned half on the right.
Attachment:
GuideCleaningE1.jpg
GuideCleaningE1.jpg [ 141.17 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

Attachment:
ScrubBubbleE1.jpg
ScrubBubbleE1.jpg [ 110.34 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 8:42 pm 

I replaced the turntable drive belt. Cleaned and re-lubed the mechanism. Burnished the switch contacts. I didn't go over many of the adjustments, they seemed near enough. I hooked up a small amplifier to the phono cartridge and confirmed that one channel of the Sonotone 8T didn't work. It was very dirty also. I found a substitute at Voice of Music, a Pfanstiehl P-132D. I needed to trim the new plastic bracket and use 4-40 screws with smaller heads so that the new cartridge would fit.
Attachment:
NewCartridgeE1.jpg
NewCartridgeE1.jpg [ 119.63 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

I had to adjust the tonearm balance and the tracking force. I replaced the stylus brush and adjusted its movement. The brush activating cable looked like it may have broken in the past and was patched up.
I connected up everything and it worked!
So about 5 months to the day I started on it, it is now finished except for a few small details.
Attachment:
Finished2304SE1.jpg
Finished2304SE1.jpg [ 150.97 KiB | Viewed 36 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 11:52 pm 

Hello Tim
very nice

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2017 6:24 pm 

Wow, what a nice looking Wurlitzer. I imagine it sounds pretty good.

Tom

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2