Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox W801 slow on all speeds
PostPosted: Oct Wed 04, 2017 5:21 am 

I picked up a chairside Magnavox "split console" set where everything is divided between two cabinets (irrelevant to the problem I know). It's the later circa 1969-70 style, with chromed knobs and the W801 4-speed bronze changer with the square arm. When received it played about 10-20% slow on all speeds. Consistent in speed over time, but slow. I've cleaned and regreased the changer throughout following the factory service diagram where needed, using white lithium grease and cleaned/rebuilt the motor using 3-in-1 Electric Motor oil. The idler tension spring has been checked, resurfaced, and height-adjusted per previous forum postings. If I didn't know better I'd say it was acting like a 60hz unit playing on 50hz. What the heck do I do next? I've never seen a Magnavox with a flaky motor before. Could I truly have a bad motor?

Thank you kindly

Post subject: Re: Magnavox W801 slow on all speeds
PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2017 1:45 am 

Perhaps the drive tire has become dry and is not allowing the motor to turn the platter at the proper speed. That is a common problem. The drive tires can be rebuilt. Gary at VM Audio Enthusiasts can fix you up in the regard. Good luck.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2017 4:13 am 

You mentioned you cleaned and rebuilt the motor. If the screws aren't tightened correctly when putting the motor back together, the bearings could bind. If you spin the motor shaft by hand it should slowly come to a stop. If it slows down quickly, then the bearings are probably binding or are bad. You might want to try a better oil such as Zoom Spout oil. I've never been a fan of 3 in 1 type oils.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2017 9:48 pm 

IMO-Spit is better than 3 in 1 oil. It's a magnet for dust. It would bind up the small cash register print
heads in a month or two. A mechanic friend recommended Marvel Mystery Oil. Service calls dropped
to the floor. A drop or two on a jewelers screw driver tip and it will run forever. Maybe not forever.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 6:05 am 

Perhaps I should clarify - it was 3-in-one BRAND, but the electric motor SAE 20 TYPE. I'm open to suggestions on better lubricants for sure. I hadn't realized before Mustangcat's suggestion that Zoom Spout was a brand and not a dispenser type :) I'll also try Marvel Mystery too.

I've reassembled the motor twice more, and still experiencing the same problem, running consistently 10%-ish slow, regardless of speed setting. It always runs slow when cold, but it can't be depended on to always kick in to the "proper" speed mode either. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds to sort itself out, sometimes it just never decides to go the right speed, even when run for several minutes. Idler has been lubricated and resurfaced to ensure good friction. I'm convinced its in the motor and not related to the idler at this point.

The last couple of times I rebuilt it, the bearings were again cleaned with mineral spirits to get rid of any latent old grease. I also ran it out of the chassis to check that the bearings were in alignment with the stator. Initially i noticed the shaft "bobbing" as it spun and it had a strange resonant vibration about 3 Hz. Fiddling with the alignment of the motor shell seemed to fix this. It always run strong, with good torque. Makes me wonder if one of the rotor windings has an intermittent open.

I'm baffled.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 27, 2017 4:44 pm 

When you tested the motor alone was it setting with the motor shaft pointing up? Normally the shaft rests on a thrust washer in the lower bearing area, the shaft will wander back and forth if it is on its side, "bobbing".
Something to look at, are the motor and idler shaft parallel to the spindle? It might effect the speed if they aren't. Could be the motor mounts.
With the idler removed, does the platter spin freely? Maybe there is binding?
I suppose the idler spins freely.
Turbine oil,aka zoom-spout, is about 10 weight. 3-in-1 Motor oil is about 20 weight. I agree regular 3-in-1 is fine for door hinges and the like but not much else.
I've got some Marvel Mystery oil but I seldom use it, too much mystery just what it is.
Are you sure the motor is getting the right voltage? If the voltage is low, or the resistance is too high, the motor power will be limited. I wonder if the motor really is one meant for 230V.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 9:36 pm 

Take the motor apart again, soak the bearings in 91% rubbing alcohol and re-oil with zoom spout machine oil. Magnavox/Collaro motors are very picky regarding the oil used.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:09 am 

if its slow, but sometimes spins faster once warmed up, its old gummy oil still in the bearings. it can take repeated soakings in solvent to get it all out of the pores of the bearings. Soak them overnight at least.