Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 13, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Audiotronics 304e
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 4:34 am 

Does anyone know where I can find service manuals or schematics for an Audiotronics 304e?

Post subject: Re: Audiotronics 304e
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:00 am 

back in the day, I've overhauled, repaired, restored tens of tens of those classroom record players.

many times the schematic is on paper either glued or stapled inside the case. usually the circuits are so simple that a standard schematic is all you need to do a repair on the electronics.

that is, if the electronics are what you are after to repair.

as for the mechanics, some service data, diagrams, combined with experience may be needed to do that, especially if it was "worked on" before.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:08 am 

Did you try the schematic man?

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 3:42 am 

Thanks for the input. I did indeed find the simple schematic inside the player. I also found three bad solder joints. Finally I found only the 78 rpm stylus remained on the 89T cartridge. I looked at the stylus under 60x magnification and I don't see anything bad. But when playing a good looking clean 78 record there is still a lot of surface noise. So I am interested in a new cartridge. I have read that it is hit or miss when trying to find a good new 89T. Given that there seems to be no tracking force adjustment on the tone arm, it seems the player was designed to use the 89T only. I have also read the 89T has a tracking force around 6 grams. So maybe I'll just use the 304e to play 78s. Does anyone know a reliable source for 89T cartridges? Has anyone had good luck with the 78 rpm only 89t ? I think they are green.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 3:50 am 

contact gary with your needs.

this place is TOP NOTCH.

http://thevoiceofmusic.com/

steve

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 4:01 am 

+1 on voiceofmusic. If Gary does not know the answer, there's a fair chance that noone does.
89T replacement here:
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog ... ategories=

I'm not clear on how a bad cartridge would cause "surface noise". Depending on the cartridge construction, the alignment between needle and cartridge can certainly cause problems

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 4:23 am 

The best way I can describe the noise is a constant shhh. Maybe my limited number of 78s are more worn than I think. They look really good though. Should I buy a really highly rated (better than VG+) 78 to test the cartridge before I buy a new 89T? Still, it would be good to have a replacement ready when the time comes.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 4:28 am 

try the records on a different player? If the sound is not distorted, and the noise is "on top of it", then I'm not seeing how the cartridge would be at fault.

The cartridge I linked is cheap....

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)