Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox Astro Sonic 1P3606 - horn speakers
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 9:29 pm 

Hi folks! I just got a new, great condition Mag.console from about 1966. Noticed that, even when turned up, there is no, or extremely faint hi frequency sounds from those 2 front horn speakers. Seems to me they should be blaring when cranked. There is a definite lack of mid-upper tones overall. Side speakers are excellent and loud. Should I replace the horns? Or could there be another cause?

I do suspect that long ago a teenager installed a 1/4" phone jack on back panel but had been disconnected and taped over. Kids back then used to play guitars through home hifis because they had no money to buy amp. (I was one of them) I suspect that the horns were just blown....Just a theory.

Anybody have a suggestion to clarify? Thank you!

The 2 horns are 580088-1 / RP109B / C 8002-7

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Astro Sonic 1P3606 - horn speakers
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:33 pm 

How is your high frequency hearing ability? These horns crossover at a fairly high frequency. As for problems...yes, they could be not working right or the crossover capacitors could be bad. It's hard to say because your assessment is very subjective. Consoles tend to not have a flat, extended high end like you find in component speakers. So you can't expect that kind of timbral balance Most are decidedly balanced on the "warm side of the equation".

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:48 pm 

Thank you for the insight. The very little I can hear from these horns is the really high sizzle. Maybe that's what they are there for?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:38 pm 

Pretty much, yes.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

i have repaired many of these sets over the years and have parted many out in the 90's when they could not be given away.

over the years, i probably had 50-75 pairs of those 1960's Magnavox horns piled up and in storage for reasons described below.

i would say that about 1/4 to 1/3 of any of the magnavox horns that i came in contact with, either in a repair or from parting out sets, the horns were either open, measured high dc resistance, or had voice coil rub. these all were from stock sets that were not modified or touched.

also, most of those horns are crossed over at 1k (lower than i would like them to be) via a second order filter.

:arrow: if we are talking about the same thing, i disagree with the above. they should be "screaming" with midrange and some upper frequencies --not sizzling, hissing, or quietly spitting, especially when the set is cranked.

they can be easily heard and provide a lot of "presence" at normal volumes as well, blending nicely with the woofer.

if the horns are working normally and one disconnects them, there is a noticeable difference in tonality, as in, the lack of midrange and some high frequency.

i grew up with my mom and dad's astrosonic from 1966 that is still in service today. if your horns and setup are anything like the astrosonics and other Magnavox horns in sets that I've experienced, there should be no question whether or not they are working properly. they can be heard very well throughout an entire living room, large or small.

a quick litmus test would be to disconnect them and check the dc resistance.

most of not all of mine measured 11 ohms dcr (being a 16 ohm impedance). if they were damaged, sounded weak or whispy, they measured around 20 or higher, every time.

you also might want to check the crossover capacitor. it may be open or on its last leg. hopefully that is the problem and that would be an easy fix.

below is an internet pic of the horns and their (era specific) variations that i am talking about.

hope this helps.

steve

Attachments:
mag.png
mag.png [ 76.3 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:11 pm 

Hey Steve, thanks for the great advice! That pic is exactly like mine.
I did at first check it with meter and had no reading. Took off the plastic green cap (in spite of warning) and all looked clean so ?

I'll look at that cap as well.

Have you got a pair of those you could sell and ship to me?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:19 pm 

hi jay,

:arrow: i edited my above post to be a bit more clear. please read the latest ediit after you read this.

if you have 'no reading', the horn went south, a lot further south than 16 ohms ! it is shot no matter what it looks like.

you may want to "reflow" the solder bead and hole on the terminal where the voice coil wire is already soldered to the terminal.

loooong shot and i doubt it will be a fix, but worth a try.

nope, i have none around, sorry, but they are plentiful on ebay. just make sure when you read the write up that the horns were tested and read around 10-15 ohms dcr or you may get a dud.

i've seen about 30% of them being duds in random pulls from parts sets and repairs.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:28 pm 

a plethora:

see link below. if it does not work, go to ebay and type: "magnavox horns" in the search box.

also, put a WTB ad in the classifieds. these horns are as common as dirt. I'm sure someone here on the forum has a set who can help, perhaps at a better price as well.

there are two sizes, be sure to measure your horns and their horns to be sure. i can't remember if there is a H and W difference, but there is a depth difference in some models.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

steve

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:33 pm 

I'll try that. Thanks so much for you advice. I'll try a couple replacement speakers since they don't cost very much :)

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 3:33 am 

do tell how you make out.

you can always take a full range speaker or another tweeter, even a cone one and temporarily hook it up to the wires that go to the horn and see what happens. for this test, it won't matter what the impedance of the test speaker is. 4-8 ohm would be fine since it is only a temporary test.

when you hook up the test speaker, you definitely should "hear it".

do tell how you make out.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 5:04 am 

Also these horns from what was told to me several years ago roll off mechanically at 13KHz and the cure was to take a small tweeter with a .47uF cap in series and connect it to the wires feeding the speakers.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 5:13 am 

one thing's for sure: there will be no question as to whether or not the horns are working properly.

they should be filling the room with midrange and some highs and complimenting the woofers quite nicely and equally.

edit: double wording

steve

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Dec Wed 13, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I post again after testing the replacement horns