Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA NEW VISTA VJT50W needle/cartridge issue??
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:58 pm 

Hello all,

I am new to the site and to record consoles in general. I was luck enough to purchase a VJT50W two years ago from a friend. The FM receiver and RCA jacks in the back(to play music through my phone) works great, man the console sounds amazing! Unfortunately the record player has some issues. It mainly plays through the right channel, the left is spotty at best. Recently my fiance has requested I get the player working for her BDay. Not knowing where to being I started with a new needle. This did not help at all! I have looked through this forum and found one post on this model but that is it. None of the pictures are still available on the post as it was put up back in 2013 but I see some mention of a piece of felt that is supposed to be in front of the stylus. I also discovered the clip that holds the cartridge is broken. I am starting to think this is where my problem is but am unsure. I have used some soft putty and weight (pennies) to troubleshoot the issue further but still am not able to get the left channel to work. I attached pictures of my cartridge area. Can any recommend where I can purchase these items and more importantly what do I need to purchase?!! Any advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,

John
Attachment:
needle 2.jpg
needle 2.jpg [ 45.94 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Attachment:
needle.jpg
needle.jpg [ 44.6 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA NEW VISTA VJT50W needle/cartridge issue??
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 6:06 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
John if radio playing clear and loud then cartridge is a suspect unless needle is not correct and/or not seating well. You need to get the number off the cartridge if you decide to get one to insure getting the right one. You'll have to google, check ebay, and try V-M site.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 9:06 pm 

You can also purchase the cartridge clip at the V-M site, thevoiceofmusic.com.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:45 pm 

Hey all,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I did find the cartridge I need online (link below). Does this seem like a fair price? The genuine RCA option bumps the prices to $105. I am leaning towards that option since I have a RCA needle already. I do have two additional questions. First, what about this felt I read that is supposed to sit in front of the needled? Is this not correct? Also how does the cartridge 'clip' to the head of the tone arm? I have attached a picture of mine with the cartridge out, I do not see a way to secure it. When I purchased the unity the cartridge was taped in. I since then secured it with putty. I can do this again if this could be a lone term solution, or if the arm/head is something I can find that is affordable.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/Astati ... p_592.html

Attachments:
Cartridge.jpg
Cartridge.jpg [ 57.88 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:13 am 

Hello John,
Before you fork out $100, here are two places to check:

1. http://thevoiceofmusic.com/
Call or email Gary with your cart info. He may have it in
stock, even though it's not listed on the website.

2. Another site I'm not as familiar with, but $30 less expensive.

http://www.adelcom.net/Electro-Voice%20 ... 20Page.htm
(search E-V 5190)

http://www.adelcom.net/Astatic%20%20Cartridge.htm (search Astatic 353)

I don't know that an RCA cart would be better than an E-V or
Astatic replacement.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:29 am 

The cartridge clip is like a prong that slips on the front of the headshell and holds the cartridge and allows it to float. The tiny felt dot is on this clip and the clip
can be purchased at thevoiceofmusic.com.

Before you buy a new cartridge, be sure the stylus you have is correct and clean the three connector clips at the rear of the cartridge. RCA made their own cartridges
and in my opinion the aftermarket were not as good.

Also check the connections underneath the turntable, most but not all of that period had RCA plugs.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

First off, thank you all for the information posts. I had no idea what direction to go in when I started this journey. I know I will using this forum in the future as I grow my knowledge.
I connected with Gary over at TheVoiceofMusic who was also extremely helpful. He explained how RCA's cartridge/tone arm setup is different than most(news to me). After a few emails he provided this diagram which showed me the missing felt piece that holds the cartridge. While I am not sure yet if this will fix my issue I went ahead and ordered it as I would need to either way. I will definitely post my findings once the cartridge clip comes in!

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 11:01 pm 

Hey all,

Some updates on my journey. I received the felt retainer clip and installed it. Unfortunately this did not fix my issue. I swapped the red and white wires back and forth that connect to the cartridge which verified that the cartridge is ok(issue followed white cable) My new issue is how to get to the TT!! It seems moving the cables under here alter the symptoms so I am thinking the issue is either a cable or amplifier connection to the TT. It is complete encased in a box that appears to be glued shut? I hit up Gary but his knowledge ended here. I was able to find a manual online and while I am not opposed to spending the $20(if this is the full manual) I am curious if any of you could assist with how to safely dissemble the box around the TT?

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofac ... del/VJT50W

Thanks for any input!

John A.

Attachments:
RCA.jpg
RCA.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]

Last edited by johnEayers on Dec Tue 12, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 11:19 pm 

Hey John,

I had a similar problem with an RCA Victor console just the other day. I found that if I removed the platter from the turn table, the mounting screws became readily accessible.

Hope this helps,
Russ

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:33 am 

That is correct, you have to remove the tt platter and then you will see the two large mounting screws that will allow you to remove the turntable.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 4:33 pm 

Hey all,

Thanks for the tip, I was able to remove the deck with this knowledge. I isolated my issue to the white wire that runs from the cartridge to a circuit bar on the deck itself. My next steps are to re-solder the connections on both ends. This will take a few weeks as I need a solder gun (xmas present!) If this does not fix my issue I will be on a search for this bundle of replacement wires (Red, White and Black). I wonder if this comes with the tone arm or not? Any one go down this road before?

Thanks as always!

John A.