Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Garrard RC 30 problems.
PostPosted: Apr Sun 08, 2018 4:31 pm 

I am clueless when it comes to record changers, and I have a few questions.

The situation is that I have a E.H. Scott Phantom Deluxe in a Wellington cabinet. When I purchased it, which was a mistake, it came with a Garrard RC30 changer in a box. The motor does say Scott on it so I think it is the correct changer for the radio. I had a person who has a lot of experience with record changers to work on it, and he returned it to me, we tested it, and it still had some problems so he took it back home to do some adjustments. When he brought it back the second time it was working, but only worked for a day. The repair guy said he noticed no problems with the pot metal. The overarm was broken at the hinge, and has been glued in place.

The problems.

1. I don't understand how it should be installed. The person that helped me put it on rubber bushings, but the chassis is not secured, just sits on the loose bushings, and when you operate a control on the changer it moves around. There is no evidence on the cabinet surface around the cutout that it had ever been secured in anyway with screws, and the cutout for the changer is a bit crude compared to the quality of the cabinet. The cutout is neat, but not a router job. How were this changers installed in a Scott?

2. The changer does change but the tonearm does not swing far enough to place the needle on the record. The needle ends up just rubbing the edge of the record.

3. Before the tonearm hits the runout wax I hear three chicks, and the tonearm returns, and the changer goes through its motions. Even with the overarm lifted up, the same thing happens, but it seems to lift closer to the end then with it down. I question if the overarm is working correctly.

4. The changer has a tonearm post but I see no way that the tonearm can properly rest upon it. There seems to be no compatable surface for it to mate too. All you can do it park the tonearm on it, but if you were to move the radio, the tomearm would just slide off.

5. The reason the changer went back with the repair guy was that the changer would not play both size records correctly. I thought he fixed that.

Anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Thank you in advance,

David