Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ristaucrat Jukebox Help Wanted
PostPosted: Apr Mon 09, 2018 8:41 pm 

So I picked up this table top 45 rpm record player by Ristaucrat. It is the selectable version, holds 12 discs. When I got it, there were several boxes of pieces that it came in. I wasn't worried about it being disassembled, since it was kind of obvious where things go. Once on the bench, I was able to figure out the electrical connections, and trigger a credit. However, making a selection does nothing, except cause a very mild hum. I'll probably be able to figure it out eventually. In the meantime, I figure it probably has an idler wheel which has hardened with age, and a good pliable one is likely essential for reliable and smooth running. Yet, I am unable to figure out how to remove the platter and spindle unit, without disconnecting a bunch of gears and other parts. Has anyone done this before and can advise me the best way? Cheers, Russie

PS, It's a model S45.

Post subject: Re: Ristaucrat Jukebox Help Wanted
PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 11:14 am 

It has been years since I've even seen a Ristaucrat. I have never owned one. They looked rather complex to me. As I remember it has the RCA 45 RPM turntable that was so popular. I have restored a few of those. I am doing one now. It, of course has an idler and also a cam wheel. As you mentioned they are going to need replacements. The motor has three grommets, the regular RCA phono has three rubber cushions the motor board rests on perhaps the machine you have may have different arrangements for that. The cartridge, of course, will need replacement and the amp is begging for, at least, capacitor replacement. I always take the changer completely apart for cleaning, oiling, greasing and access to the cycle cam.

Gary at the Voice Of Music can fix you up with just about everything. Ebay also has people selling parts. I like the machined idler wheels someone has been manufacturing for a while. Designed for "O" rings. A great book is "The Fabulous Victrola "45" by Phil Vourtsis. You can but a new "tire" for the cycle cam and super glue it on. That has always worked well for me and costs a lot less then having it done as the factory did it. You have to cut a small notch or depression out of it in the exact proper place. I found my Dremmel, with a sanding drum, makes a nice one and it looks just like the factory one.

I'm not sure what draws people (like me) to these little machines. When I was a kid and we were very poor I found one at a Goodwill Store. I played it and played it until the rubber parts dried out and things stopped working. I could not have it repaired. I worked at a drive-in theatre while in high school and I, again, found one of the little machines that was a turntable only, no amplifier. I loaned it to the theatre and they used it to play music while customers waited for the show to begin. I have a collection of them and the only concern I have is taking time to exercise them as much as I can. RCA's are fun to work on and not too complex since even I can do it. I keep the book handy because I have a bad memory on putting things back together. Parts seem expensive but no more that other machine's parts.

Their small amplifiers are powerful to me. They even made a "one tube wonder" amp. I don't know how many of these little machines they sold but it must have been about a zillion. Have Fun!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 3:02 pm 

Tnx for that information, I appreciate it. I too have owned several, but never had to tear one down to get into the bowels. This one will be though, it has the symptoms of a bad idler wheel. Do you know how to correctly remove the spindle/turntable? Russie

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 4:05 pm 

Russie, I make the machined replacement idler wheels for RCA changers, and I believe the ristaucrat is based on the RP-168 changer. If you plan to be at the radio sale in Portland this weekend let me know and I'll bring a an idler along.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 4:28 pm 

Fantastic! I'll be there, I'm not sure what time (I wouldn't want to have you waiting around unnecessarily for me). Probably in the afternoon as we want to go to the auction first. On Friday, I will be at the Portland show around 1:00 PM to meet someone, so that would be an alternate time. Thank you, Russie

PS, what is your name, how will I know you?

PostPosted: Apr Wed 11, 2018 8:10 pm 

My name is Dan, I have the table in the corner of the big middle section of the Eagles building. I'll have a couple of the idlers out on the table to make it easier to spot. Send me a PM if you want to make more detailed arrangements.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 12:52 am 

Tnx, Dan. I'll look for you. Cheers, Russie

PostPosted: Apr Fri 13, 2018 11:54 pm 

Russie, you've got your work cut out working on that changer. Expect all the troubles that the non selectable changer had, & add on the complexity of the selection system. I had to pull out my machine to refresh my memory of how it comes apart. To get the spindle off, the first part that should be there is an e-ring on the center shaft of the spindle. The easiest way I've found is going through the hole below the spindle with a small flat screwdriver. Next the selector gear needs to be loosened, a spline wrench is needed. A T9 torx fits reasonably. Rotate the select gear to find the setscrew only in the direction opposite of the turntable or you risk bending leaf switches in the selector that contact the fiber disk behind the selection playing disk. Leave the gear laying in place while the spindle is out, it goes into place only with the spindle out. Next there's a pinch bolt in the main bearing. In my machine it's a flat screw reachable from behind the motor. At that point the spindle is/should be free to pull out. Be gentle pulling on the spindle, I've had the center bearing loosen up in the subchassis & need to be dealt with. Clean & lube the slicers & shaft while the spindle is out. Small bits of friction here & there in those changers add up to erratic operation, as the entire mechanism is driven by the turntable drive.
Good luck.

Juke47, the Ristaucrat changer is very loosely related to the RCA RP168. The only parts that are readily identifiable as RCA are the GI motor, tonearm shell, and the record slicers in the spindle. The rest is peculiar to Ristaucrat.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 14, 2018 2:11 am 

mrlee, Thank you so very much! Valuable information there. I'll be looking into that upon my return Monday. I would have had a hard time figuring that out on my own. I expect this one will be a challenge, and I love a challenge! Tomorrow I'll be at the Radio Show in Portland. Who knows what will turn up there. Cheers, Russie

PostPosted: Jul Wed 04, 2018 12:22 am 

So, the gear has been located at the bottom of the spindle shaft. In the first picture, it is the gear just to the right of the motor. The set screw is an odd splined screw, similar to a Torx screw.
The second picture shows the screw which appears to clamp the bottom of the spindle housing. It is at the top right corner of the motor.
Any advice on how to go from here?

Attachments:
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG [ 156 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3878.JPG [ 139.86 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Fri 06, 2018 8:54 pm 

I got it! Just a little more force than I was using and it came out as it was supposed to. I guess sometimes being too careful is not the solution. Cheers!