Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 22, 2019 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collaro Wheel Cartridge?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 10:19 pm 

Attachment:
20181128_135436 reduced.jpg
20181128_135436 reduced.jpg [ 72.15 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

Attachment:
20181128_135254 reduced.jpg
20181128_135254 reduced.jpg [ 64.5 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]

Hoping the images here make sense; on one side are two patent numbers while the other side has nothing. The needles are bent and broken off but slip vertically into the tiny metal hole seen on the bottom. This thing produces zero sound and mounting an aftermarket is going to be a challenge given the LONG distance from the holes in the head to where the original needles end up. If somebody knows what this is or how to substitute something close, I am all ears. The changer mechanism is sort of working OK and the AM n FM plus power amp are all good. This is a mid-50s mono console. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Collaro Wheel Cartridge?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 10:59 pm 

You have no choice but to have to get very creative and mount a modern ceramic cartridge that works width-wise. I have mounted them using wood pieces, or whatever lightweight material you find that works as a spacer to get the new cartridge to ride at the right height in the arm. I use hot glue to do the mounting. Of course you will have to extend the wiring.

Post subject: Re: Collaro Wheel Cartridge?
PostPosted: Nov Wed 28, 2018 11:29 pm 

Thank you for reply which I had braced myself for anyway. Just hoping against hope I would NOT have to take the creative painstaking way. The wires are already rather long as someone has been in here long ago and modified parts of it. I will just get a pfanstiehl p132d or equivalent unless somebody has had better luck with something else.