Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 31, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RCA 17S-7093 Deep Red/Maj Headache
PostPosted: Jan Thu 26, 2012 3:42 am 

How badly did the shafts break apart? Can you epoxy them together? You can use wax paper as a wrap as it cures. To hold several pieces together once, I applied the epoxy, rolled it into a length of in wax paper I had already cut, then used wide paper tape to hold it together while it cured for several days. then slid it into heat shrink as a final step. Was 7 or 8 inches long total. For a potentiometer, not a channel switch, though.

Are the ends still good, for the control and the knob? Splice in a wooden dowel, and epoxy the 2 ends on? A 1/2 or 3/8th's inch dowel would take the stress, I think. If you don't think the epoxy will grip the dowel, you can cut an "X" across the end of the dowel with a hand saw. When you epoxy on the end, the epoxy will fit into the X and when it cures, it will have plenty of strength.

Lumber yards and hobby shops have all sorts of sizes, and it's cheap.

Good luck!

John S.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 26, 2012 5:51 am 

John,
The set has 3 of these shafts. Luckily the channel selector does not use them. The metal knob is long enough to compensate. The shafts are used for the On/Off/Brightenss, the volume, and contrast. The shaft for the on/off switch and brightness is intact, but it is split at the end where it goes onto the end of the control. I think I can epoxy it together. The two shafts fopr the volume and contrast shattered into several pieces. I'm going over to Lowes this weekend and see what I can find.

Doug

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2012 11:26 pm 

I beleive that tubing was called spaghetti. I don't know if its still available.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

Another possibility, Zenith used some secondary control knobs in the 60's that were quite long, I have a few that fit over a 1/4" knurled shaft and the stem of the knob is about 3.5" long. Perhaps you could use something like that and epoxy it to something else to mate with the original RCA knobs. They are rigid and not flexible so the chassis would need to line up perfectly with the control holes in the top of the cabinet. Pretty sure they originally chose the slightly flexible softer plastic for a reason besides being cheap to make.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2012 5:15 am 

I finally got some shaft extentions made this weekend. I went to Lowes yesterday and 1st checked the hardware section. All I could find was nylon/plastic extention washers and shafts, so I went to the plumbing section. There I found some copper tubing that looked like it might fit if I crimped the ends, but I couldn't see paying about $7 for a 2 ft piece of tubing that I only needed 8" of. I I went back to the hardware section and bought some of the nylon washers. I've had to make, then cut, then remake them, but I finally got them right. I had to coat the ends where the knob shaft will fit in with J&B Weld. I used a reamer to enlarge the hold at the other end so it will fit perfectly onto the control shaft without slipping. Here are 2 pics of the finnished shafts: not the prettiest in the world, but they will be hidden in the cabinet.

Doug

Attachments:
New shaft 2.jpg
New shaft 2.jpg [ 11.25 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]
New shaft 1.jpg
New shaft 1.jpg [ 13.05 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 7:20 am 

Well I am now 99% done with this set. After making those shaft extentions, I got disgusted with how they looked and realized it was a cheap & sloppy fix, so I took a break from the set for a couple of days. Today, after looking thru a junk box, I found a hollow shaft which went to the fine tuning of a junk tuner I had. I took that metal shaft and cut it to the proper length then inserted a 1/2 moon inner clamp for it to fit on the 1/2 moon control. The other end was easily addaped to the 3/4" shaft that comes out of the knob. That redid one control. I then came across a knob in my junk knob box that had a shaft perfect for my voulme. All I had to do was cut the plastic shaft and press in the metal shaft protuding from the vol knob. Now I have a much more professional looking and better job for shaft extenders.

Anyway, I just got the set mounted back in the cabinet. It's playing pretty good witha great pic. It has a very pretty red and grey cabinet too. At the styart of this thread, Mr Detrola mentioned one he used to have and said "performance was acceptable when it worked." That's they key right there. With that flawed design, this will not be a set that will get much use. With the original pic tube, I'm wondering how much use it got when new, or perhaps it broke dow so much that it was retired early.

The metal back has many vent holes. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those fans for electrical equipment( like in a computer tower) and mounting it on the inside of the back to help cooling. With the multitude of holes, mounting should be no problem, and it can always be taken out with no evidence it was ever in there.

Cosmetically, the lether handle is broken. The seller noted that to me when I bought it. I've been looking at a universal replacement on Ebay, but I think the one I see is too long. If anyone knows of a good source, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, thank you all for the great help and interesting history lesson during this restoration. Here a a few pics of the finnished set. Now I can give my GE locomotive my undivided attention.
Doug

Attachments:
RCA top.jpg
RCA top.jpg [ 16.8 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]
RCA Back.jpg
RCA Back.jpg [ 13.29 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]
RCA side.jpg
RCA side.jpg [ 11.21 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]
RCA front.jpg
RCA front.jpg [ 23.45 KiB | Viewed 321 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3