Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BC-1158, T-233 radio modulator transmitter (picture)
PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2012 10:50 pm 

I've been lurking here for a bit. I finally took a picture of the military transmitter from my collection that I don't know much about. This is a Radio Modulator & Transmitter T-233/URW-3, but an attached tag says it was converted from a BC-1158 by the Radioplane Co. in California, 1954. Can anyone supply me with info and if this unit can be used?

thanks for any info,
Peter

Attachments:
Milradio3sm.jpg
Milradio3sm.jpg [ 134.88 KiB | Viewed 2839 times ]
Milradio2sm.jpg
Milradio2sm.jpg [ 177.75 KiB | Viewed 2839 times ]

Last edited by peteri on May Mon 14, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BC-1158, T-233 radio modulator transmitter (picture)
PostPosted: May Sun 13, 2012 11:28 pm 

Peter,

The original BC-1158 is a MCW (modulated CW) transmitter covering from around 50-95 Mhz. The URW-3 was used as part of an early control system for unmanned drones.

That is a typically well built military unit but I am not sure what you could use it for now. Although it covers 6 meters the output power is very low and I don't think you would make many friends on the band with modulated CW. It is in nice shape and I think better preserved than parted out. If you don't have a use for it perhaps you could trade it to a mil collector for something more useful. This is probably more of a display piece now.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2012 12:21 am 

Thanks very much. That's a very interesting military use. It's a handsome unit, I was planning to tinker with it, but the spouse is "suggesting" I clear out some things so I may have to put it up for sale, as a collector item. oh well...

cheers

PostPosted: Jun Mon 08, 2015 5:45 pm 

Peter,

To elaborate on Rodger's reply, this transmitter was used to control the flight of 1000lb bombs during WWII, mostly in the China-India-Burma theater. The program was called AZON. Many of these were converted by Hams to work on the 6-meter band (see the Novice column in the January 1957 edition of CQ Magazine). Yours seems to be relatively unchanged compared to those that were converted to voice-modulation on 6-meters.

As Rodger mentioned, it was not a high power unit (how far can a 1000lb bomb go from where it's dropped?) but the CQ article reports that one owner had contacted 30 countries with his.

Mike

PostPosted: Jun Tue 09, 2015 5:25 pm 

If you would rather have a tax writeoff, consider donating it to either the Air Force Museum in Dayton or the Electronics Museum in Linthicum MD. The program it was used on was an early forerunner to the smart bombs of today and there may be a lot more public interest in it now. My neighbor's dad was a B-24 pilot and he participated in the program in the CBI. Pretty interesting stories he told.

Cheers, Dave