Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I bought a "Time Traveler" Radio.
PostPosted: Feb Tue 23, 2016 5:42 pm 

The "Time Traveler" radio being sold on Ebay has been discussed at least a couple times, but I didn't see any threads where anyone actually bought one.

I did. I don't regret it at all. Sure, there's lots of free content out there, and one can make up a batch of files and essentially make their own, but I figure this thing has 9250 "Old Time Radio" bits on it, comedy, drama, news, ads, etc. and will play 24/7 for 6 months without a repeat, and is ready to go right from the package. For $50 (including shipping) that's a lot of ready-made content, with a player. My time is worth something, and putting together 4320 hours of stuff would take me some time. Especially picking out files that play as clearly, or doctoring them up (which I would have to learn to do) to make them clear. Plus arranging them in a mixed up way so the content is somewhat evenly paced.

So far, what I've listened to is done quite well. Everything is cleaned up nicely and plays loud and clear.

I purchased the version with the little black "T-508" radio/player. He accidentally sent me the little cube radio version (which has a built in, not easily removable battery), and as soon as I notified him, he sent the correct radio without delay, and told me to keep the other one as a spare. I've always figured the test of a good Ebay seller is how fast and easy they fix something if it goes wrong, and this fellow passed that test with flying colors. We've emailed a bit back and forth, talking about old radio, and apparently the fellow initially made this up for his father (who's in his 90's) after his father went completely blind a few years ago. The seller likes old time radio too, and seems to be an enthusiast.

I like the little T-508 radio because it has a removable battery that seems to be pretty abundant (and cheap) on Ebay, along with external chargers. I go on extended camping trips, and spend time at our off-the-grid backcountry place, so having a few spare batteries is one of the main reasons I wanted that version. I wanted something "stand alone", as there are still places out here in the west where there's no cell (data) service, and it's very tough to get any kind variety on radio.

For a ready made/out of the box set up, this one is pretty darned good. I can recommend the content and the seller without hesitation.

Post subject: Re: I bought a "Time Traveler" Radio.
PostPosted: Feb Thu 25, 2016 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Link to what you bought?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 25, 2016 1:35 am 

Here's what he's talking about: https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361487923059

I'd be curious to know whether it's possible to access the files on it and copy them off the device onto the computer. What format are they in?

PostPosted: Feb Thu 25, 2016 2:20 pm 

K9LOL wrote:
Here's what he's talking about: https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361487923059

I'd be curious to know whether it's possible to access the files on it and copy them off the device onto the computer. What format are they in?

Yes, that is the one. I didn't put the link in my first post because I didn't know if it would be appropriate.

I believe the files are mp3's. The are on an external 32 GB micro SD card. When he sent me the correct radio/player, all I had to do was pop the card out of the old radio and put it in the new one and it started right up playing. The sound quality is really pretty good from the little player (both of them, actually). Better than I expected, even at high volume.

One thing to watch for is the amount of content on the different radios he sells. A few weeks ago he was selling the little cube radio/player with three months content instead of six, and charging a bit less. I'm glad I noticed when I ordered, because I definitely wanted the one with the most old time radio content.

The radio/player also has a headphone jack. I haven't tried hooking it up to my Talking House AM transmitter yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It did come with a patch cord to do so. It came with charging cords, a cigarette lighter adapter/charger, USB cords for that, and some little ear bud headphones, too.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2016 5:20 pm 

CaryLee wrote:
The radio/player also has a headphone jack. I haven't tried hooking it up to my Talking House AM transmitter yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It did come with a patch cord to do so. It came with charging cords, a cigarette lighter adapter/charger, USB cords for that, and some little ear bud headphones, too.

Thanks for posting about this. My brother is always playing Yours Truly Johnny Dollar on his computer and I was thinking about getting him something like this so he might also play something else. Is the interface for picking which shows to listen to ok? Or can you only go forward/back?

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2016 2:27 pm 

tomaslo wrote:
CaryLee wrote:

Thanks for posting about this. My brother is always playing Yours Truly Johnny Dollar on his computer and I was thinking about getting him something like this so he might also play something else. Is the interface for picking which shows to listen to ok? Or can you only go forward/back?

I would give the interface an "OK" rating. You can pick each selection by number, but you have no idea what the selection is by looking at the radio itself. At least not that I have found so far. It would be more useful just so one could start in the middle and not hear the first show over and over. It seems to have a memory, though, so if you turn it off, when you turn it back on, it picks up where it left off, just back at the beginning of that particular program. In other words, it doesn't start from the first program every time you turn it on. I don't know if that memory holds if the battery goes dead. I did look at the memory card on the computer, and there is truly is over 9000 individual programs there, and if I remember right, Johnny Dollar was on there too. The selections are numbered on the list, if I remember right One could print out the list and use it to select particular programs. It would be a pretty big list! Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2016 8:34 pm 

You know I purchased this when he was shipping the "little cube" version of the radio, and I just felt that little radio was really crappy. It had a jack, but I couldn't keep a mini plug in it. Also, I found the controls really flaky. I returned it, and he refunded my money with no argument.

Maybe I will try again with this new radio.

I think his intention with the cube was that, if you had an old vintage radio that wan't working, you could set the little cube inside near the speaker, and it would appear that the radio was playing old radio programs.

Mark K8KZ

PostPosted: Apr Sun 10, 2016 4:42 pm 

markmoke wrote:
You know I purchased this when he was shipping the "little cube" version of the radio, and I just felt that little radio was really crappy. It had a jack, but I couldn't keep a mini plug in it. Also, I found the controls really flaky. I returned it, and he refunded my money with no argument.

Maybe I will try again with this new radio.

I think his intention with the cube was that, if you had an old vintage radio that wan't working, you could set the little cube inside near the speaker, and it would appear that the radio was playing old radio programs.

Mark K8KZ

The "new" version, with the black T-508 radio, isn't a lot bigger than the cube. It's wider, but much thinner. I think it could sit inside pretty much any tube radio cabinet I've seen (except for small portables, of course) and give the same effect. It could be the quality control on the cube radios just isn't that good. They sound good for such a small thing, but I couldn't get the one he sent me to take and keep a charge, and there was no way to easily replace the battery...it's "built in". As I mentioned, he at first sent the wrong one anyway and sent the correct "newer" one immediately. The sound out of it is amazing too. It gets pretty loud without distortion..I think the specs give it a slightly wider frequency range.

The T-508 version also uses a replaceable battery that's all over Ebay. That is one of the primary reasons I wanted that one. But when the seller and I were chatting by email, he had another good idea...he uses one of those external USB "stick" batteries, the kind that will recharge a phone, and plugs the radio into it with the supplied cord to get extra playing time out of it. I haven't bought one of those stick batteries/chargers yet, but plan to for a camping trip coming up in a couple days...plus, I can use the charger for emergency power for my phone if need be.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 1:56 pm 

Been using the Cubes for over a year,
You have to watch the Version you buy.

This is the best one IMHO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMTOP-Mini-Dig ... 2390026594

The Version 27 is Good also , but the 28 has easier to use Menu and Display

The Time Traveler. is a little pricey. You can get one and put your own stuff on micro sd or usb flash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T508-Mini-Porta ... GHEKUh0h8w

$60 vs $10.18. Is it worth $50 to have all the programs done for you ?

Bob T

PostPosted: Apr Sat 30, 2016 5:41 pm 

joybird wrote:
Been using the Cubes for over a year,
You have to watch the Version you buy.

This is the best one IMHO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMTOP-Mini-Dig ... 2390026594

The Version 27 is Good also , but the 28 has easier to use Menu and Display

The Time Traveler. is a little pricey. You can get one and put your own stuff on micro sd or usb flash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T508-Mini-Porta ... GHEKUh0h8w

$60 vs $10.18. Is it worth $50 to have all the programs done for you ?

Bob T

For me it was. Considering it's six months worth of 24/7 radio, news, commercials, programs, etc. and I have yet to find one program that was scratchy/difficult to listen to. The fellow who sells them says he cleaned up the audio on the files, which was probably a lot of time and effort. Everything is loud and clear. I'm still impressed so far. Well worth it to me to have something ready to play out of the box. Everything seems to be organized in a weekly schedule. For someone experienced in organizing and cleaning up audio, it might be a good exercise...but I don't think I have the knowledge or patience to do that on that much stuff.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 30, 2016 6:04 pm 

Please do not understand me I think it is a Great Value to have all that recording work done for you.

I just meant to show you could do it yourself, pick what you like, etc.
I have done the same , but have recorder what I personally like.
Gotta admit I did a lot of Frankie Carle recording.

But he sure earned his $50 doing all that recording.

Are his recordings random, or do you get all of one artist, then another,
Or newscast all in a row or random between music or show ?

Bob T

PostPosted: May Sun 01, 2016 12:01 pm 

joybird wrote:
Please do not understand me I think it is a Great Value to have all that recording work done for you.

I just meant to show you could do it yourself, pick what you like, etc.
I have done the same , but have recorder what I personally like.
Gotta admit I did a lot of Frankie Carle recording.

But he sure earned his $50 doing all that recording.

Are his recordings random, or do you get all of one artist, then another,
Or newscast all in a row or random between music or show ?

Bob T

It is more or less set up to play like "normal" radio day. One episode of one show, one episode of another, some news, some commentary, another show, etc. etc. The news isn't chronological. For instance, you might hear WW2 news, and then the next day hear news from the 50's, and later that day hear news from 1940, etc.

The format is more or less like one could imagine a small town station might play. I don't know if it is set up exactly on a weekly basis, but if one turned it on and left it on, and let it play 24/7, it would be a while before you hear the next episode of a particular series. It simulates an old time radio station good enough for me. The only fault I can find so far is that I would prefer to hear the news broadcasts in their entirety rather than just the headlines about WW2 and then have it fade out or stop and go on to the next show. But maybe thats how he got the files and didn't have any control over that.

I understand what you mean about being able to record what you want. I like Fred Allen, but not everyone "gets" humor that requires historical context to be effective, so although he's hilarious to me, not many of the internet old time radio stations I've found play much of his stuff. I haven't found any Fred Allen on the Time Traveler radio. Not everyone gets jokes about specific politicians no one today has ever heard of, or humor about gas rationing stamps, but somehow I've always "got it". I've downloaded some mega-files of specifically his shows, and plan to extract them an put them on specific memory cards of just his stuff. I've had the files for months, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet. That is one reason the Time Traveler radio works for me..all I had to do was turn it on. :D

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2016 4:30 pm 

one thing i see different is the one on ebay for $10 only has a 8GB max card while the loaded one you said had 32GB card. wonder why the difference in the card size as they both look like the same radio?

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2016 7:41 pm 

hcheetham wrote:
one thing i see different is the one on ebay for $10 only has a 8GB max card while the loaded one you said had 32GB card. wonder why the difference in the card size as they both look like the same radio?

Yes they both are Model T508 far as I see.

I have a $10 one here, will try a 32 G micro Card if I have one here and let you know result.

Bob T

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2016 10:02 pm 

ok let me know.and thanks

PostPosted: Sep Wed 07, 2016 11:32 pm 

I have the Time Travler with the 32 G Chip 9000 hours of programs
Yes is does play on the T508
I have an earlier Model T-206 and 32G plays on it also.

I am going to attempt to copy and paste the micro chip to another.

Bob T

PostPosted: Sep Thu 08, 2016 8:30 pm 

Just put the Micro Memory card in my PC
Shows 9,278 programs on it Listed . Plan on printing out contents for reference when I want to listen.
I have it on my new est Dell PC
Using 2 USBtoSDMicro Converters to Copy and Paste to another for backup.
Looks like it will take 50-60 Minutes to complete.

My Plan is to broadcast via my AMT 5000 SStran 24/7. Good for 6 months. Yea

Bob T

PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2016 10:41 am 

My original plan was to broadcast the Time Traveler here at home with my Talking House 5.0, but I've found so much online old time content to broadcast I've never even hooked up the Time Traveler yet. I take the Time Traveler with us when we travel, on camping trips and such, or out to our backcountry off-the-grid vacation place. The local AM old time country station out there turns their power down about 5:30PM and becomes difficult to hear, even with a 90 foot wire up. DX is good, I'll get Denver, Oklahoma City, stations out of Kansas and Nebraska, or Los Angeles California, even a little 100 watt old time country station out of Willcox, Arizona, but often I'll turn on the Time Traveler and set it next to the 1946 Silvertone farm set I use out there, just for ambiance.