Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 16, 2017 6:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electronic Parts stores going away.
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 11:11 pm 

In the southeast part of Florida our parts stores are all gone. Except Rat Shack and there only good for transistor and chip parts. There was one in Pompano, but that closed a few years ago. Last weekend I was in Tampa and Gary Tayman had talked about Sarasota Electronics so I hit it on the way home. Raddy looking building and the inside is the same. WOW I felt like a kid in a candy store. Almost everything we use on old electronic projects. 1,000's of parts and tools and all at a fare price. Not all new stuff either. Some looked like they have been around a long time, but all in good shape. I love being able to pick it up and examine it. I came out of there a lot lighter in the money dept and happy as a pig.

Thanks Gary
Freeman

Post subject: Re: Electronic Parts stores going away.
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:22 am 

They've been closing for last 25 years or so...

Locally we had two different RCA distributors, a GE with two stores(at one time three) and two different Sylvania dist... Exc for the the GE that's down to one store, all gone now...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:57 am 

We had two stores. One close by, it's closed after being sold to group who nothing about electronics. Used to go there just to look through the surplus room. The second is a bit farther away, twenty minutes on the GSP. But going down hill fast. They cater to the High End Audio / Video group. But still have some stuff. As for RS, should have closed long ago. And that's from a former store manager.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:42 am 

There was a Southeastern Electronics in Durham, NC. They were GE and RCA. They closed probably 25 years ago. There was a State Electronics in Danville, VA. They were unaffiliated. They closed probably 15 years ago. Nothing but a couple of skeleton Radio Shacks left. :(

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:10 am 

I expect you can go to Mendelsons in Dayton O. still and find lots and lots of neat parts. But also his sources for surplus parts has probably been drying up gradually over the last couple decades. Used to be a lot of mil contractors and manufacturing around the area but probably not much more left. And now, what would a mfr going out of business have to get rid of? Barrels full of chip resistors? Surface mount stuff in case you bring tweezers to sort it all out?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:08 am 

For those of us who do more solid state circuits, China has been a real boon.

I buy stuff from Banggood and ICstation for pennies and then get free shipping.

Rat Shack is just a memory and our local HSC Electronics consolidated to one location in Silicon Valley... I really miss it.

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:21 am 

wazz wrote:
I expect you can go to Mendelsons in Dayton O. still and find lots and lots of neat parts. But also his sources for surplus parts has probably been drying up gradually over the last couple decades. Used to be a lot of mil contractors and manufacturing around the area but probably not much more left. And now, what would a mfr going out of business have to get rid of? Barrels full of chip resistors? Surface mount stuff in case you bring tweezers to sort it all out?

Yes, you can spend a whole day in Mendelsons, you can also get lost in the aisles.......but you are correct the best pickings dried up about 10 years ago. Not that much stuff which is useful for the repair/restoration of tube equipment, but if you search there is still some mixed in here and there with the newer stuff. The owner says he still buys surplus lots when they become available, but that's not as often as it used to be.

Fair Radio in Lima also has older components mixed in with everything else, you just need to bring a flashlight and lots of patience when shopping either there or at Mendelsons.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:52 am 

We used to have Fertik's Electronics and Herbach & Rademan up until the early 1990s. There is still Flagship Audio but he got rid of most of his stuff recently and mostly sells on ebay. Then there was Selectronics for used computer parts, but they gave up long ago. Just Rat Shack here and there and that's it. I am so glad that there is plenty of places on the internet.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:23 am 

Number 6 wrote:
. I am so glad that there is plenty of places on the internet.

Think about it; we have such a variety of places on the net as compared to B&M stores back in the day, not to mention the information available on sites like this one. I'm not promoting this new age, just recognizing its advantages.

We still have All Electronics locally (well, maybe 15 miles away).

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:03 am 

fifties wrote:

We still have All Electronics locally (well, maybe 15 miles away).

All Electronics still has decent foot traffic, plus they sell on-line too. Probably will be around for a while. Buy stuff from them all the time, though most of my stuff comes from Mouser:

http://www.allelectronics.com/

Of course, at the other end of the "Valley", there's Apex:

http://www.apexelectronic.com/

Down in LA's south bay, there's:

Torrance Electronics

https://www.yelp.com/biz/torrance-electronics-torrance

Apex Jr. Related to Apex, above, but a separate entity, and no walk in. Appointment, and on-line, only:

http://www.apexjr.com/

It appears that Signal Electronics recently closed. Last, and only time I was there, it looked like it was frozen in time. The 70's to be precise. None of that inventory had moved.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:23 am 

threeneurons wrote:

Of course, at the other end of the "Valley", there's Apex:

http://www.apexelectronic.com/

I haven't been to Apex in a good 25 years. It seemed like a surplus junk store back then, and judging by their site, still is.

Those "road cases" they must have picked up from the motion picture studios' camera departments. We used to call them "AKS" (all kindsa s**t) cases. I guess the changeover from film to digital rendered them obsolete.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:07 pm 

30 years ago we had four jobbers in Roanoke, VA, two locally owned plus branches of Southeastern and Avec. We still have H. C. Baker, which was the oldest jobber in town 30 years ago. Baker is moving to a larger location with better parking, and will be expanding their inventory. A fairly recent company here is a branch of Norfolk Wire & Electronics, which is great for telecom, networking and security electronics, but nearly useless for components.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:41 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
A fairly recent company here is a branch of Norfolk Wire & Electronics, which is great for telecom, networking and security electronics, but nearly useless for components.

Norfolk Wire does us great for components - their PriestCain Electronics store here in Norfolk has dang near anything, but they are pricey...the owner (Ron) is a reasonable guy - maybe ask him to open a similar store in Roanoke?

Priest and Cain were two separate companies snapped up by Ron and merged - 2 former Cain employees, 1 former Priest guy, and a back-end guy from one of the electrical supply/lighting supply houses - probably 100+ years experience in the 4 of them...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:34 pm 

The Roanoke store has limited inventory, but can get me items shipped in from Norfolk. That is okay for some things, but doesn't help much when I'm trying to get a major problem at a radio station fixed quickly.

I was a customer at both Priest and Cain 30+ years ago when I was working for stations in northeastern North Carolina.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:14 pm 

I grew up about a mile and a half away from Baynesville Electronics. I remember when the family house was still there, surrounded by the store. I had thought they were still in business, but they closed last fall :( :( :(
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

For posterity's sake, I'm attaching some photos from their Facebook page.

Attachment:
27172_109979489042480_5023332_n.jpg
27172_109979489042480_5023332_n.jpg [ 21.48 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

Attachment:
27172_109979499042479_6316631_n.jpg
27172_109979499042479_6316631_n.jpg [ 23.76 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

Attachment:
58436_543020222405069_1400049004_n.jpg
58436_543020222405069_1400049004_n.jpg [ 43.74 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

Attachment:
27172_109979492375813_3396059_n.jpg
27172_109979492375813_3396059_n.jpg [ 23.97 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

Fortunately here in the Boston area we still have You-Do-It Electronics in Needham and Electronics Plus in my home town of Littleton.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 3:20 pm 

Steve, whilst I grew up in Catonsville, Baynesville Electronics was a place that I went to often over the years. As the article mentioned, they went from tubes to transistors to ICs. etc. I guess "On Line" has caused many businesses to run out. Sad but true.

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 8:48 pm 

joelandjoyce wrote:
There was a Southeastern Electronics in Durham, NC. They were GE and RCA. They closed probably 25 years ago. There was a State Electronics in Danville, VA. They were unaffiliated. They closed probably 15 years ago. Nothing but a couple of skeleton Radio Shacks left. :(

So did the Southeastern Electronics in Asheville, NC that I used to get parts from for work and fun in the 80's.

Mike

Phil. 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B
S'tone 6130
S'berg 535M
T'tone D1952

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 10:24 pm 

The last Radio Shack in this area that I know of is having their "going out of business" sale right now.

Of course they barely qualified as a parts store, especially for most of our purposes.

I can still remember the wonderful smell of the parts store of 60 years ago when I was first getting into it - Elgin Electronics, Elgin, IL.