Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HW-16, How to turn a recap into a project
PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 7:07 pm 

Hey Ted,
If your not in much of a hurry I have a spare steel chassis (just have to strip it of parts, removed the power transformer to use in the DX-40). It's yours if you could send me the shipping costs. I'm a little surprised to hear that yours is copper plated. I think generally Heath quit copper plating their ham gear about 1956 or so.

Terry N3GTE

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 7:27 pm 

kx4om wrote:
Hi Mike,

Boy, I am glad your are posting this! I started down the same road with my HW-16, which I checked out for transmit and receive before I started the restoration. The problem here is that mine has a copper plated chassis, corroded on top pretty badly. The bottom was better, except the general area around the 6GE5 socket experienced some sort of electro-chemical reaction. Maybe a mouse was involved, because the underside of the cabinet in that area is rusted. I stripped it down by "module", that is, keeping strings of components connected where it made sense, like in terminal lug connections. I couldn't do much with the chassis short of an expensive replate job, so I painted it with gray primer to keeping it from rusting away in the closet, where it has now sat for 3 years. I was thinking I could eventually paint it and remove it in areas where the IF coil housings, screws, etc. need to touch bare metal.

Please add some details on the polishing of your chassis and what you used to clean the circuit board. They look great. Are you going to wax the chassis, or use a clear coat of polyurethane or something else? I am making an assumption that yours may have areas that have the plating removed by the polishing. Maybe someone can point to a thread on the forum where this is addressed.

Ted, KX4OM

I washed it on hot soapy water then dried it. Then I sprayed it with WD-40 (pump sprayer not aerosol) and used a 3M Scotchbrite Ultrafine pad to clear up the stubborn grime. Then I wiped it down with a paper towel. I did this a couple of times because once the oxidation starts coming off you can't see where you need to clean. WD-40 is a great cleaner and the ultrafine Scotchbrite pad didn't damage the surface. I gave it another bath in warm soapy water, rinsed, and dried. After that, I tried 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer and Polish and that worked pretty well but Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish took less effort so I used that. Then I buffed it with a microfiber cloth. It took a few applications over successively smaller areas to get it cleaned up.

I cleaned the top of circuit board with WD-40 and a toothbrush. The WD-40 cleans well and puts a little oil back into the board. Old boards shrink when whatever solvent is in it evaporate over time. I gave it a contact cleaner wash after the first application and scrubbing then sprayed it again and brushed it once more. Then it was time for the folded paper towel, q-tips, and toothpicks. The bottom traces that had light corrosion on them were cleaned with WD-40 and the same type Scotchbrite pad that I used earlier and then washed with 98% alcohol. I'll probably use Liquid Tin to tin the copper traces that aren't tinned anymore. I should add that the lettering under some of the components comes off because of the WD40. Oddly enough, not all of them come off. I'm not sure why. I thought about using warm water and soap with a good hot water rinse but went with WD40 instead. The people that repair laptops use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean boards. Those are a bit pricey though.

I didn't see any serious plating problems. There were some small rust spots on the underside. I just used emory cloth to bring those down and then lightly polished on them with the Scotchbrite pad and polish. The mag cleaner puts a layer of some kind of protectant down. Water beads right up on it.

Radioroslyn wrote:
The NE-2 fires at about 65-68v. If it sez that it fires at 120v it's got a resistor in series with it.

Terry

Thanks Terry. 120V was the spec for the replacement NE2 that I found online.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 8:03 pm 

Radioroslyn wrote:
Hey Ted,
If your not in much of a hurry I have a spare steel chassis (just have to strip it of parts, removed the power transformer to use in the DX-40). It's yours if you could send me the shipping costs. I'm a little surprised to hear that yours is copper plated. I think generally Heath quit copper plating their ham gear about 1956 or so.

Terry N3GTE

Thanks for your kind offer, Terry. I can take mine over to the little Post Office/UPS etc. store and get the cost.

Ted, KX4OM

PostPosted: Mar Sun 12, 2017 9:57 pm 

The board is almost done. I tend to replace resistors sooner than others would and I went a Watt size bigger on each one that I replaced. I have a bunch of modern resistors rated for 1W that look like 1/4W but I didn't want to use them because they would look odd.

There were a couple of sizes that I didn't have 240kΩ for instance, so I just desoldered the old ones, cleaned everything up, and will put them in mid week if all goes well.

Here's the board:

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 2:31 am 

Thought it pretty interesting that you use a HP 12C. Seems a bit of overkill for calculating out of tolerance resistors 8)

I will stick with my slide rule...

Nice project though and the chassis turned out nicely. Going to try the Mother's polish on a Hallicrafters rebuild coming up myself.

Richard G.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 14, 2017 4:13 am 

Richardg wrote:
Thought it pretty interesting that you use a HP 12C. Seems a bit of overkill for calculating out of tolerance resistors 8)

Since HP was the only calculator ever made (everything else is no better than counting toothpicks :shock: :lol: ) it was my only choice not counting my 48GX, 41CX (somewhere around here), and 16C :D

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sun 26, 2017 9:09 pm 

After a bit of an absence I'm back to working on the HW-16 again. The board is finished and I've started on the next step in the assembly manual. I use a Hayseed Hamfest cap kit but restuffed the two single value caps rather than put them under the chassis. I needed the restuffing practice anyway...

I also cleaned up the edge of the circuit board and used Liquid Tin on the ground plane traces. Only the top edge is done in the photo

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 02, 2017 4:39 am 

Moving right along with re-assembly. Here's a shot of the chassis just before I started wiring it

And here's where I stopped tonight. I think I must've missed a step along the way. The lamp bracket on the left isn't installed and none of the chassis tube sockets are installed. I'll look through the manual before I get started tomorrow.

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 12:39 am 

I started working on the underside a this evening. All of the tube sockets are new. I found some NOS RCA connectors that exactly matched the originals but without the rust :) I used new terminal strips, bolts, nuts,, and lock washers (SST) because I had them and there others were kind of ratty. I'll clean up the old terminal strips and reuse those somewhere.

Transformer leads are terminated where they are supposed to land and all of the loose wire from the top is landed.

This is what it looked like when I started

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on May Sun 06, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 2:28 am 

Question- What coax did Heathkit use in the HW-16. I've seen web posts that said that they used RG-62 for the connection to the external VFO. Was that what they used inside too? RG-62 has an impedance of 94Ω (and it's expensive).

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 10:14 pm 

<Double Post, Please Delete>

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on Apr Sun 09, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 09, 2017 10:15 pm 

Progress for the day. I didn't get to spend a lot of time on it but it's coming along. I'm at the point now where i have to start stripping parts off of tube sockets and other unused parts (or use new which is an option in some cases)

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 11:41 pm 

Holy resurrection Batman!

I started working on my HW-16 this afternoon. It was hard to pull myself away from all of the great DX that's on the bands :roll: but I did. Actually 20m CW and digital modes were hopping pretty good earlier. Anyway, I thought that I broke a little trimmer capacitor but I didn't. I just got a little ham fisted with a mica caps that was soldered to the retaining clip and I popped the clip off. I cleaned the inner surfaces up and reassembled it (before I took a photo :? ). As I was reinstalling it I asked myself a question. No answer was forthcoming. So now I'm wondering if something fell out (nothing on the bench)? Or was it bad when I got it? Or is it all cleaned up now and will work perfectly?

Here's the trimmer:

So my question was, how does this work? One ceramic disc looks to be just ceramic. The other one has two areas of what appears to be silver on it. Where does the capacitance come from?

I know this is going to be obvious when someone answers and then I'll have to put my soldering iron up and go back to the plastic model soldering iron until my brain recovers. But I can't... I need to get the rig finished before the ARRL Novice roundup. I want to use one of my HW-8's, the HW-16, and a TenTec Century 21. All will send extremely poor code and probably not be able to understand anything faster than 13WPM but hey... it'll be fun :lol:

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 11:52 pm 

Looks fine to me and look pretty much like this one except for the value...

http://www.talonix.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=15552
Attachment:
VRC0062[1].jpg
VRC0062[1].jpg [ 22.52 KiB | Viewed 955 times ]
Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 12:23 am 

It's installed and I guess I'll find out how it works when alignment time comes.

In my line of work we still use a lot of RS232 and RS485 comm connections. When we wire the devices we uses shielded twisted pair wire and ground the shield on one end only. The HW-16 has a piece of coax that runs to pin 9 of V7 (6CL6 oscillator) and the VFO jack. They show it grounded on both ends and I was wondering if that was correct. I think it is (different function) but I thought I would ask. They also show a ground lug on the RCA jack but that doesn't exist and as near as I can tell it never did. I'll add a ground lug to one of the bolts that holds the RCA jack in

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 1:26 am 

Mike6158 wrote:
They show it grounded on both ends and I was wondering if that was correct. I think it is (different function) but I thought I would ask.
Yes, ground both ends.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:36 pm 

Some (33 total according to the parts list) of the 0.005µF ceramic caps that are sprinkled around the rig are not going to be able to be reused. For those I'll use 0.0047µF caps (since .005µF is not a valid size anymore) but I don't know what the voltage rating needs to be. The HV ceramics in the parts list are called out with the voltage. The rest are not. Does anyone here know what the voltage rating is (most are tied to ground)?

NE5U

Mike

Last edited by Mike6158 on Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:40 pm 

Mike, don't you mean 0.0047?

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:48 pm 

Learned a new word here---"dekit". I should have known this, since it is what I do with ~ 50% of the radios I refurbish.

I start with an inspection---looking for dirt, damage, access to all the parts, etc. There is a "tipping point" when I decide that there is going to be a major teardown. Once this point is past, many tasks get hugely easier.

Going down this road requires good notes and lots of pictures as it comes apart.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:53 pm 

WoodchuckTN wrote:
Mike, don't you mean 0.0047?

Oops, I sure did. I corrected it. Do you know what voltage rating? My "guess" is 50V but I don't want to guess :)

NE5U

Mike

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next