Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 19, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Things that don't add up
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:59 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
I had a printer that used ink cartridges, buyt I print so infrequently that the ink would often dry up before it was used up and at nearly $30 a pop I decided no more.

Printer still sits unused and maybe 3-4 years ago my step mom brought home a laser printer from work they were tossing out so I just use that.

Me too. It's so rare that I really need a printout I just put the document on a thumb drive and take it to the UPS store or a copy shop where they charge me a dime.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 8:58 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
1973 Gremlin AM radio 3 on the floor 6cylinder cheapest one they had was $2550.

In December, '72, Bought the wife a new '73 Pinto hatchback, 4 on the floor, no radio, for $1992 (loss leader at Leon Ames Ford). Went to Olson Electronics and bought a car radio and stick on the windshield wire antenna for around 20-25 bucks. :wink:

Tube Radio wrote:
What gets me is one gas station may have gas for a certain price then the gas station right up the road less than a mile away has it cheaper.

Now where do you think one is gonna buy the gas?

Also it seems like gas stations away from the city where they are few and far between sometimes have a higher price for their gas.

Why, possibly because they can as people w3ill still go there if it saves them a trip to the city to get gas.

It's all about location, location, location. Stations on the busiest traffic corners are gonna have the highest rents, and charge commensurate prices. Those out in the sticks will have far less traffic and need to charge higher prices to stay in business, as well as the fact that they have somewhat of a captive clientele.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:07 pm 

Speaking of 1970's cars. I love watching old Lets make a Deal and Price is Right game shows.

Lets make a deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQUsWvQu8I

Price is Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZtQ2NwqeiE

Personally no car is worth more then $5 grand. Labor .I cant say anymore here.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:11 pm 

fifties wrote:
k9uwa wrote:
1973 Gremlin AM radio 3 on the floor 6cylinder cheapest one they had was $2550.

In December, '72, Bought the wife a new '73 Pinto hatchback, 4 on the floor, no radio, for $1992 (loss leader at Leon Ames Ford). Went to Olson Electronics and bought a car radio and stick on the windshield wire antenna for around 20-25 bucks. :wink:

Tube Radio wrote:
What gets me is one gas station may have gas for a certain price then the gas station right up the road less than a mile away has it cheaper.

Now where do you think one is gonna buy the gas?

Also it seems like gas stations away from the city where they are few and far between sometimes have a higher price for their gas.

Why, possibly because they can as people w3ill still go there if it saves them a trip to the city to get gas.

It's all about location, location, location. Stations on the busiest traffic corners are gonna have the highest rents, and charge commensurate prices. Those out in the sticks will have far less traffic and need to charge higher prices to stay in business, as well as the fact that they have somewhat of a captive clientele.

Yes Fifties .I agree. Location ,Location ,Location.I see that with the box stores and grocery stores. The prices are like a roller coaster ride town to town.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 4:48 am 

Heres some station wagons for around $5,000 bucks.

Monty's LMD from 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ohruMXp5I

Carol looks great there.

Heres a $3 grand Opel.Fast forward to 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QYTrDReTo

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 5:19 am 

Greetings to Fifties and the Forum:

Sorry, OM but your brother should have done a bit more shopping. My Mom was a single mom (dad passed away when I was 11) and didn't have a ton of money. She bought a 1968 beetle brand new in 1968 from Van Wyck's VW in Santa Barbara and paid about $1,700 for it. Later on, when she bought a Squareback, the prices were higher, of course.

I think a Galaxy was a higher-end model for Ford, was it not? I think a base model Chevy was still just a bit over $2,000 in 1968..... certainly less than $3,000.

As far as gas is concerned, I used to fill my MG at the Shell station near our house in Santa Barbara. I distinctly remember paying 39.9 cents per gallon for premium... regular was a bit lower. Gas has always been cheaper in other parts of the country than in Southern California, but since that's where we lived, that's what we paid.

Even allowing for your prices, the devaluation of the currency is still plain... and today's gas is still cheap.

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 1:26 pm 

In 1976 we had just moved in to a new house and my dad came home one day complaining that gas was at the RIDICULOUS high price of $.59 :shock: which in today's money is about $2.62. The costco sells gas for $2.24 so technically gas is cheaper when accounting for inflation.

After my parents divorced I remember my mother driving all over town to save a penny (per gallon) on gas. I attempted to explain to her (I was 11) that "wouldn't it be better to pay an extra $.10, instead of wasting half a tank of gas" it did not go over well for me.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

Philco Fan wrote:
I thought you guys all went to Bellingham to get groceries and gas??
Or is that just Vancouver proper??
Phil
Nope, too far. We sometimes go to Port Angeles on the Black Ball Ferry Line. They play the Bing Crosby recording.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:12 am 

need a small 2 cycle engine for a project? say about 26cc, you can buy one by itself for more than $140 off of ebay OR just go to home depot and buy a string trimmer for $69.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:25 pm 

Flinx wrote:
In 1976 we had just moved in to a new house and my dad came home one day complaining that gas was at the RIDICULOUS high price of $.59 :shock: which in today's money is about $2.62. The costco sells gas for $2.24 so technically gas is cheaper when accounting for inflation.

After my parents divorced I remember my mother driving all over town to save a penny (per gallon) on gas. I attempted to explain to her (I was 11) that "wouldn't it be better to pay an extra $.10, instead of wasting half a tank of gas" it did not go over well for me.

LOL bet she spent more than a penny's worth of gas trying to find the cheapest price.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 2:10 am 

fender washers at lowes $.16 for one, pack of 30 $6.30 or $.21ea.

Stack-on 22 tray parts drawer sells everywhere on line for $25 lowes had it for $17.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 3:35 am 

Make friends with a motor rewind shop 16 ga should cost 10 cents a foot or less ......Milk 3.40 gal in Montana ...WA7OPY

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 12:27 am 

Gas is CAN$1.15 per liter here in Nova Scotia.

As for printer ink costs... we gave up on ink jets here and bought a refurbished commercial duty HP laser from a local printer place here. Was a tad expensive up front, but we needed a workhorse for some of the stuff we're doing here. Took advantage of the service contract. Cost is $0.0199 cents per page printed. The computer talks to the place we bought it from once a month for billing purposes. Contract covers all parts and labor, plus replacement of the toner when it runs out. They even gave us a spare for when we run out or if the loaded cartridge gives us any issues. All we need to do is drop by the place with the bad one and we get a new one no questions. They told us that in the slow months when we don't print a lot, just wait till the bill reaches $20 then come in and pay it. We're now thinking of trading it for a color laser. It's been a great printer so far. Guess one gets what one pays for sometimes. :)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 2:42 am 

need a 15 amp rocker switch, 15 amp circuit breaker, and 15 amp 3 conductor cord? how about 2 of each?

you could source all of these things for between $30 and $40 from amazon and ebay

OR

just go to lowes and buy these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-6-Outlet ... r/50261177
for $4 :shock:

I could buy them, strip the parts and sell the parts on ebay.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:03 pm 

And yet I continue to hear and read, ad nauseum, the media spin that there isn't significant inflation. So why then is a quart of motor pushing $7.00 even at Wallyworld? etc. etc. :roll:

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 6:47 pm 

Philco Fan wrote:
Flinx wrote:
I need 25 feet of 3 conductor stranded wire that can handle about 5 amps. Prices range from $.73 to more than $1 per foot. yet I can buy a 16/3 25 foot extension cord for $9.97 $.39 per foot. :?

I prefer to buy half gallons of milk but they curently cost $1.49 yet a gallon of milk cost $1.99 :?

Why is it I can buy complete manufactured items cheaper than component parts (rhetorical question)? IE cheap chinesium electronics.

You can get milk for $1.99??!!
I'm paying $3.20! :evil: :shock:
Phil

:shock: Amen! He's lucky!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 6:51 pm 

Joseph Newton wrote:
Milk is $1.17 a gallon here.

*********Is it white???? :lol:

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 7:55 pm 

Fry's has milk, I don't know what the REAL price is but with your keeptrackofyourdemographicscard it cost $1.99 per gallon store brand. I don't know what other brands cost, but I think it is more.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 4:55 am 

In the early 70s here gas was sometimes $0.28 per gallon. Last spring it hit $1.48 per gallon here.

My complaint is socks. My feet will fit in standard size 10 pair to a package
athletic socks ... but they are so tight that the socks wear through in a week.
Everybody will sell me single pairs of right size "dress" socks. Red Wing Shoes has
"work" socks that are the same as athletic ones and fit and last well, but the
price per day is still too high. Meijer has no large size socks. Only Walmart
has big-package big size athletic socks, and they are almost the same price
and quality as the regular size ones, and the price per day is just fine.
(RedWing and Meijer are a 1/2 mile walk from me, Walmart 3/4.)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 23, 2018 5:20 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Philco Fan wrote:
I thought you guys all went to Bellingham to get groceries and gas?? Or is that just Vancouver proper??
westcoastjohn wrote:
Nope, too far.
Because you'd have to get the ferry back to the mainland first and after THAT it's an hour drive to the border - and then however many hours wait sitting at the Peace Arch.

Crossings farther East are considerably less crowded to cross of course but then there's the added time to get to those other crossings which sometimes ends up in a tie for return on investment.
westcoastjohn wrote:
We sometimes go to Port Angeles on the Black Ball Ferry Line.
Because that's actually a shorter route because its' direct (more or less). Some people from the mainland do the Point Roberts bit if there's a significant price break that makes it worth their while - but that usually only applies if you are in Richmond or Delta maybe. Even Burnaby eats up the savings most of the time. And then all you can get there is gas pop and donuts - residents there have to go to Blaine for E V E R Y T H I N G even church and school.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 60 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3