Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pioneer PD-M500 CD Player
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 2:55 am 

Well, I'm still digging out a lot of audio stuff, I haven't used in years. This latest trip into the past is a Pioneer PD-M500 6 disk cartridge CD player which seems to play pretty good however, every now and then, the single disk CD tray I've been using gets stuck and won't eject. The first time this happened, I opened it up and discovered if I turned it off and on multiple times the eject mechanism would automatically try to work... Each time moving a little farther until the tray finally came out. When it did, I found the CD hadn't been completely moved from the play table to the tray holder and was jammed up halfway into the tray. I got it all loose and working again but today when my wife put a CD in and tried to play it, it wouldn't play and wouldn't eject again.

Once again I got to fiddling around inside and finally got the tray to come out but then it wouldn't stay back in. I got to searching on ARF and saw a post from back in 2012 about a similar problem on a PD-M435 where the tray wouldn't stay in. No solution was posted but I found that if I turned the belt driven pully for the eject mechanism until the mechanism moved all the way to the rear, there was a click and then the the tray stayed in just fine.

I read, in the 2012 post, where Fred Longworth posted a list of common failures for the 435, but he didn't mention any common tray/CD transport problems. I really don't know much about this stuff but I'm hoping Fred or someone else can suggest anything I can check, adjust, lube, etc to eliminate this intermittent problem? I downloaded a service manual from HFE but it didn't have anything about mechanical adjustments for the tray/CD transport.

As I said, I'm currently using a single disk tray tray cartridge but I also have a couple of the 6 disk tray cartridge trays which I haven't yet found where they're packed away. Am I likely to have more or less trouble with the multi disk cartridge that the single disk tray?

Thanks for any help or suggestions! ZT

Post subject: Re: Pioneer PD-M500 CD Player
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 3:55 am 

If tray loading is belt drive then you need new belts.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 3:08 pm 

Agree regarding belts, the load starts slipping before actually completing the operation and jams.

I have found multi-disk players to be much more prone top this kind of thing than single disk players. you have additional switches and mechanics to contend with. Most additional problems are mechanical though, not electronic.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:29 pm 

I kinda ruled out the belts because they look to be in very good condition, and when it works (99% of the time), it all works great. There are two belts, driven by two thread spool size motors. The one on the left, I presume, moves the tray and the one on the right transports the CD. Does this sound correct?

I sure don't mind replacing the belts though! Are they still available? Pioneer? Or generically? I e seen some you tubes where such belts are replaced with rubber o-rings and in one video (Yikes!) a piece of string!

The part number for the belts up front, (described above), shows PB1015 while another belt in the rear associated with the disk carriage assembly is p/n PB1072. Could the 4 digit numbers actually be a code for the belt dimensions?

Any suggestions or perhaps a link to a source for replacement belts are much appreciated.
ZT

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:26 pm 

That problem is usually solved by replacing the belts but it could be a dead spot in the motor although I have never seen that. Do a google search for Pioneer PD-M500 belt kits. There use to be a place in Colorado that sold them.

There was also a problem with switches on the left hand side of the mechanism as you looked at the top. You would unsolder them then tilt them slightly downward and resolder them in place. This would cure the load/unload problems if the belts and motor were not the fault.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:47 pm 

Hi,

Sometimes the belt will stretch slightly and that can make all the difference between working and not working. Another thing I learned is that the belt itself can collect some "glaze", for lack of a better word. The belt slips and looses its grip. What I did was remove the belt and clean the "glaze" off the belt with soap and water. I also used isopropyl alcohol to clean the belt pathway so the pulleys are slip-free as well.

Good luck, Tom