Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 21, 2018 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to kill radio club events
PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:29 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/ ... 58472.html

This name has far more appeal to the "under 50" age group.
Mark Oppat
Even the over 50 people (I'm 60)! It would be much more fun to have more audio, calculators, and so forth. I paid $400 to get an Texas Instruments SR-51 calculator just like the one my brother and I got in our senior year in high school through our cousin at McDonnel-Douglas. I sometimes carried it in the pouch with the belt fob while in college at Washington University in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 7:02 pm 

Mark,

What exactly is this franchising idea MARC is talking about? Can you elaborate<

Thanks

PostPosted: Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:28 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:
Mark,

What exactly is this franchising idea MARC is talking about? Can you elaborate<

Thanks

Basically it would be loaning out the Vintage Electronics Expo logo and name and all the press releases/ promo ideas we have come up with. We have the shirts and mugs made too, so we could sell those to any club if they didnt have any local sources. We are working on getting a brochure made up about "Collecting Vintage Electronics" too, so that could be stamped with a local club's info and used for year round promotion of the club and events. MARC would have some kind of "lending agreement" drawn up saying we own the rights to the logo and are allowing club X to use it provided its not abused in any way. We are thinking there could be several VEE's across the usa, so the concept might become more familiar to collectors and the public. I attached our ad from last years winter VEE for a reference to some of the ads we run. THE NEXT SHOW IS SAT, JAN 27 2018 BY THE WAY....
YOU ARE ALL INVITED... !!!
Mark Oppat

Attachments:
VintageElectronicsExpo METRO TIMES AD JAN 2016.jpg
VintageElectronicsExpo METRO TIMES AD JAN 2016.jpg [ 247.47 KiB | Viewed 3137 times ]

Last edited by oldradioparts on Dec Wed 20, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 6:15 am 

great idea Mark but it isnt entirely new. i did this with the miami hamfest years ago. we created glossy color club flyer type advertising cards that had pics of ham gear, old hifi, and even a predicta. it was done with a 50's theme to it. these were passed out all over town and while it drummed up some attention but in the end the show bombed. we just couldn't get enough electronics hobbyist to show up no matter how we pitched it.

we also tried doing the hamfest / mini-makefaire thing and that bombed because the other folks that were thinking of doing a makerfaire had one as well. two makerfaires, one in the artsy farstsy part of town and the other not. the artsy area won.

i'm in agreement the shows need to expand to being a general electronics hobbyist type show. radios old and new, RF, audio gear, arduino, etc, all under one roof would be epic but we couldnt get it to happen. miami is a lousy town for anything though unless it involves sex, dance, or drugs.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 8:21 am 

ke4mcl wrote:
great idea Mark but it isnt entirely new. i did this with the miami hamfest years ago. we created glossy color club flyer type advertising cards that had pics of ham gear, old hifi, and even a predicta. it was done with a 50's theme to it. these were passed out all over town and while it drummed up some attention but in the end the show bombed. we just couldn't get enough electronics hobbyist to show up no matter how we pitched it.

we also tried doing the hamfest / mini-makefaire thing and that bombed because the other folks that were thinking of doing a makerfaire had one as well. two makerfaires, one in the artsy farstsy part of town and the other not. the artsy area won.

i'm in agreement the shows need to expand to being a general electronics hobbyist type show. radios old and new, RF, audio gear, arduino, etc, all under one roof would be epic but we couldnt get it to happen. miami is a lousy town for anything though unless it involves sex, dance, or drugs.

You dont mention online marketing and thats what it takes today. I am an internet idiot, so I rely on others to do that for us. Clubs will need to HIRE someone under age 40 probably to make their site "mobile friendly" and to integrate their marketing into the other platforms such as Pinterest, Snapchat and of course, the old lady of the internet now, Facebook, where all the moms and dads are. This could possibly be a class project for a high school or college marketing class, so I would get in touch with those in your area. AND, DONT GIVE UP ! It will not always work in one year. We were able to go from under 400 in the door to over 600 in the door in two years, and sold out sellers tables. Might take 3 years in other places. But also, this will not necessarily work in very small markets where you dont have any established collector market.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Tue 19, 2017 5:09 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
We were able to go from under 400 in the door to over 600 in the door in two years, and sold out sellers tables.
Bravo!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 21, 2017 1:45 am 

My personal observation is that club membership-in ANY club- is in the decline. I am also in our local bicycle club, and at 53, am not too far from being the youngest member. People just don't JOIN anymore...have fun while it is there to be had!!!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 10:01 pm 

Joezenithman wrote:
Flinx wrote:
this last weekend there were 3 swap meets on the same day:
a non radio meet
a ham radio meet
an antique radio meet
I was going to try to go to one or more of the radio meets but I had a lot to do.

I went to the non radio meet as I am winding down on my radio collecting (I have reached saturation and have no more room).

I did not go to the Ham meet because it was too far away, started too early, and I am not into ham radio. There is nothing interesting on SW anymore, and I have no interest in talking to crabby old guys about how no one want to do ham radio anymore.

I did not go to the Antique radio meet as it was in the opposite direction (as I said before) I have no more room for radios, and I have no current needs for test equipment, parts or anyting else. I would love to sell some stuff there but their rule of having to be a member keeps me from doing that. I don't want to join a club I won't attend, just so I can sell.

There are a lot of dynamics here and organizations need to work together for the good of all. I visit Phoenix in the winter and I went to a Hamfest the past couple of years. Yes, mostly all ham equipment, which is what you would expect, but a few guys were set up selling old radios. I saw nothing that interested me, and was curious why there were not more antique radio sellers. At least they showed up at a Hamfest. As Flinx says three events on the same day that could have been combined into on meet for the betterment of all. I could not find an antique radio meet or club in the Phoenix area and when I contacted a couple of collectors there was no interest in meeting or there was no response. Very disappointed in lack of response. Felt like I was in an old radio dessert, compared to much more active and social areas back east. I don't bother taking any stuff with me for possible swap or sell anymore.

If there is in fact an Antique Radio Club there it really behooves all collectors in the area to join and attend meets. Much greater opportunities to buy sell, swap and find someone to repair. The club can benefit all of them. I have seen it in MD and TX, where clubs started and grew and prospered. Still there are a lot of "closet collectors" all around that have no desire to link up with others. I find the people as interesting as the radios and look forward to seeing them and making new friends. I just travelled to Dallas, TX and linking up with a number of old radio friends, from CO and Kansas City - the only time I get to see them. But that's just me! I wish Phoenix would get organized and active. I always bring radios to work on and would love to link up and maybe swap and sell, especially if I knew there was a good venue. There is most certainly strength in numbers in this hobby!

There is a local radio club. WWW.azantiqueradioclub.org. The site doesn't have much information but does list when they have meets. As of right now there are no upcoming meets listed.
I'm in the Phoenix area and haven't had much luck in meeting up with other radio collectors. I've met some but mainly at the meets themselves.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 10:03 pm 

jbrill1976 wrote:
The Phoenix Antique Radio club is a club in name only. I have been a member for a year, joined so I could sell, and have received a total of 3 emails from the club. These were to remind me of the July (1 e-mail) and December (2 e-mails, first had incorrect times) swap meets and all came well after the events were listed on ARF. I have looked for a link to club by-laws, none. I have looked for announced club meetings, none. I have looked for club elections, none. There must be a board because they authorized the spending of club funds to rent storage space for several tons of donated crap that took them 2 swap meets to divest themselves of. I believe the December swap meet was arranged solely to get rid of the last of the "radio related items" and ended up being on the same day as the HamFest because it was the only date convenient for "the board". I chose to attend the radio club December swap meet because I wanted to give them one last chance to justify the annual fees, raffle ticket sales, donations to club auction, which have cost me close to 100.00 for the year and came away very disappointed. I found it hard to sell anything because everyone seems to wait for the club auction at the end of the meet to get their wallets out. Except for the guy that I always see buying from the sellers as they are setting up, well ahead of the stated start time. I have had better luck selling here on ARF.

The sad thing is that this is not an isolated instance here in Arizona. I have belonged to other hobby related clubs in the area and find it is normal in Arizona for 1 or 2 guys to carry the burden of the club even if 20-50 members are active. Everyone expects more but are unwilling to give up some man hours to help plan and implement club activities. I would love to attend club meetings and volunteer to help out but these guys are so burned out they don't even meet any more!

I'm with you. I'd be willing to volunteer on the board as well, but not sure when or where they have the board meetings and elections.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 6:28 am 

to be a serious vintage radio collector, you have to be where the "stuff" is, or buy everything mail order.

The "Stuff" is in the "Radio Belt" from Illinois to the East Coast, north of Kentucky. Also, isolated pockets are in Texas around Dallas or Houston, also Denver, LA (had their own mfg back in the 30's) and in Portland, OR and Seattle WA.

All other areas are very thin, and mostly have stuff that was drug around by former residents of one of the areas listed above. Post WW2 stuff is a different story, Miami has a great stock of high end audio gear, for instance, a lot of it was funded by the huge illicit drug profits in the 70's and 80's. i know a guy who made the rounds of the pawn shops and wow, amazing the stuff he'd see or get.

So, sad to say, the quantity of stuff out west in AZ, UT, NM, ID, etc, just isnt enough to allow much of a collecting group to form up and have any good sized events. Get towards any of the metro areas mentioned and you will do much better.

Best state in the Union to pick ? PA, I think. Its huge, had AC power everywhere in the 30's, also had a LOT of employment and $$ from coal and oil, later steel. Lots of Germans, they bought upper end stuff and kept it nice and in the family for generations.
Here in Detroit it was a similar story, but the stuff got more abused (its a rougher town that decayed badly) and most of it was not as high end.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 2:40 pm 

People not joining clubs is the way it is now. Same for FOE, Moose, American Legion, etc.
The generation that started these clubs is passing on. I'm 56 and don't belong to any club,
of any kind. I never get invitations to them #1. #2, if you go, its a room of "old" men carrying
on conversations that they have been talking about for 2 decades. They don't want to cover the basics
because they already know that. So new people to the hobby don't gain much listening to things they
don't even understand.
If you want new people into your club, you need to attract and help them. teach them, start some radio
building classes, make some charts and teach the basics. Stop talking about advanced subjects when
you have newer people there.
I think if you redesign some meetings and start a basics program it may help. Our hobby is full of guys
who love to share and teach, and we have some super smart people here. Try an approach of not
just radios, but also amps, stereos, any vintage electronics.
my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 7:15 pm 

You are dead right about younger folks not joining anything. That's one reason we decided to re-brand our shows now... They DO go to "EVENTS" a LOT ! So, making the event as strong as possible is very important today. MARC has always been an "event" based club. We don't have any other meetings (except for Board meetings of about 15 of us). So,its all about the events and we are doing very well with ours and hope to pass that along to others as well.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 7:51 pm 

I agree with most of what is being said on this topic. Especially about the younger generation not joining things. And it is most organizations unfortunately. Although our Ham radio club is doing pretty well we have communications nets to check into 6 nights a week and a monthly meeting which has pretty good attendance. The club I was closely associated with for so many years, the Mid-Atlantic Antique Radio Club (MAARC), is in the Baltimore - Washington area, and has a lot of local members. They are able to have monthly meetings with presentations and auctions, and they have a monthly publication called Radio Age, which is a Journal, not a Club Newsletter, and that tends to bring some members further out to meetings, plus they have a yearly convention "Radioactivity" in June and a big "Fallfest" in October. There is more than enough going on to keep members in the loop, interested and active.

But it takes an enormous amount of effort to produce a 16-page Journal every month, to keep the meetings interesting, to handle estate sales, and to help run a Museum which is a separate organization, but sprung from MAARC.

All clubs are facing the same problems, and ones that I am familiar with and attend when I can, are the Michigan, Illinois and Dallas clubs, the AWA group in Charlotte, and then the event the Delaware Valley group sponsors at Kutztown, PA. None of this happens by accident.

Bottom line is people have to be interested enough to get involved and see these things get done. New blood from younger people comes in the antique radio clubs and ham clubs but at greatly reduced levels compared to years past. We have to keep plugging along and trying new things to meet the evolving interests of younger people or one day the last person turns the lights out and locks the door.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 8:47 pm 

back in the day, you had one or two full time employees in an Organization to keep it going. But with salaries and benefits
that has become hard to do

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 9:55 am 

NJARC monthly meetings are either at Princeton University at Bowen Hall or at Infoage on Marconi Road in Wall Township.

Sal

SmoothOscillator wrote:
I used to go to NJARC meetings years ago, it was a good bunich and well-run. Then they moved farther North to Parsippany. Too far.

I'd suggest that the word needs to spread about Kutztown, Ham clubs, ARCs etc. outside of Usual channels. I'm not sure how else you're going to attract interest of new blood.

My divorced sister asked me how she could meet some guys at her age.
I told her to take the test and get active in 2 meters.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 10:43 pm 

Interesting topic which has created considerable discussion with the Central Valley Chapter of the California Historical Radio Society. For the last 11 years we have been hosting a meet on the first Saturday in October at the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds in Turlock. We draw 15-20 sellers per meet, not large by most standards but we try to make it a fun event with raffles of working restored radios by club members, 50/50 drawings, a Swing DJ from the local college station, food and other stuff.
The club goes to a lot of effort to get the word out to the public by Craigslist, local newspapers and radio spots a month in advance. We draw 200-300 people. The key we found works is to make it an experience with lots of fun and the club really focuses on the fun, that's what the public wants. The collectors get what they are there for and the public learns about vintage radio. Go to our You Tube video and look at the 2017 meet. Rich, CVC Chairman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaqmQ5veyI

http://www.cvantiqueradio.com/

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 3:31 am 

That is nice to read! I'll make a note to visit one of your Central Valley Chapter of the California Historical Radio Society events. Sadly, the southern California club has the incorrect IRS category, and certain people are downright afraid to have the general public attend events. They do no know the fun they are missing by making events which are more fun and which are attended by a wider spectrum of people.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 2:43 am 

Last week two young men from the cable company came to my place to replace my modem. The moment they saw my Atwater Kent model 40, they forgot about my modem! They got so excited when I showed them the set and fired it up for them. After asking about fifty questions, they finally remembered why they came and replaced my modem. I've written this before in posts but I feel it's worth repeating, radio clubs need to get into the High School electronics classes and even community colleges one day a year or semester, whatever the teacher and school will agree to, and introduce kids to this hobby. I'd say at least half of the kids and young men who have seen one of my radios are fascinated by it. Clubs have to be more proactive. You've got a great product, go out into the community and sell it! What radio clubs need are salesman!

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:09 pm 

Dan, that would also be fun. Many of the college faculty have never seen a vacuum tube. We did a presentation to the electronics club at UC Irvine, but need to do it again and at other schools

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 1:56 am 

I tried bringing tube sets to my college's amateur radio club for this exact reason. Unfortunately, while the Radiola 18 I set up worked flawlessly for the class, the club just doesn't have enough attendance to make it worthwhile. Everyone oohed and aahed, my professor included, but at the end of the day, the only thing they care about is using programs like GNURadio. There's just no interest in building things from scratch or rebuilding them, as neither of those things are skills that companies seem to look for.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next