Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 19, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: American Bosch model 660c
PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 4:36 pm 

I think I found a treasure. I am looking for advice on restoring or repurposing and any information I can find on my radio. I love this radio and want to do what's best for it! Thank you for your help!

Post subject: Re: American Bosch model 660c
PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

It's a very nice radio, American Bosch built high-quality units. I have a similar model 620 in my collection, and mine is a great sounding table radio. The dial looks fantastic when lit-up, and the magically appearing tuning pointer is a unique feature to Bosch's 1936 line of radios. It would be a shame to repurpose it, as not a lot of that model have survived.

That said, I think calling it a treasure takes a bit of qualification. Collectors are much more interested in table radios than consoles, which is a matter of size. When they are willing to add a console to a collection, it has to be a desirable one. This radio falls in a lower tier of collectibility than the consoles that fetch the big $$$, mostly because it has fewer than 10 tubes and 5 knobs. Laws of supply and demand state that when there's little demand, prices stay low.

So if it was your great-grandma's, and you remember your dad telling stories about sitting around on Christmas Eve with his cousins and aunts and uncles listening to Nine Lessons and Carols on a London shortwave station every year as a boy, then it's a treasure to you, because of its connection to your family. Otherwise, to radio enthusiasts, it's just a low-tube-count console, albeit a fairly nice one.

Personal opinion, it should be worth $150-200, if it's restored to playing condition and the cabinet is either in excellent original condition, or has been correctly restored to excellent condition. Unrestored original condition, easily restorable, it's probably a $60-100 radio.

But if the cabinet has been stripped and stained, if it's missing knobs, has a bed sheet grill cloth, been painted with chalk paint, big water stains on the top of it, the speaker cone is busted out, or there's veneer curling off of it--anything that makes restoration difficult or unlikely--that pushes its value down into the realm of a parts radio, and it's probably worth only $20-40 at that point. Like I said, not many of this model around, which makes finding correct original parts for it difficult to impossible. If it's not complete, then it may be the parts supply.

Some of its value is dependent on location, some on finding the right buyer, some on the selling venue you choose, but overall, the biggest factors are collectibility and condition.

Don't plug it in to see if it works. You can damage very hard-to-replace components. It needs to be serviced, and have its electrolytic and wax-paper capacitors replaced before it can be used reliably. Here's a very good website describing what's involved in restoring a radio correctly: https://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Happy Holidays, and welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions, we love to talk radio!

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Dec Sun 24, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 6:32 pm 

I think it would be interesting and beneficial to this discussion if you posted photos of your American Bosch 660. Keep in mind that there is a 24 hour waiting period from the moment a person signs up with ARF to when that person will be allowed to post photos. This policy was applied to discourage spammers. Photos should be no larger then 800 X 800 pixels.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 7:22 pm 

Hello L.W.M. and welcome to the Antique Radio Forums! :D

Yes, please post photos if you can resize them

The 24 hour waiting period is about posting links off ARF. You can immediately post 800 X 800 pixel or less .JPG files using the Upload Attachment feature directly to your post/comment.
Just make sure they are 256 mb in file size or smaller.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 7:55 pm 

Repurposing????
Not good to post that here, lol

Last edited by OldRestorer on Dec Mon 25, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 6:06 am 

Palegreenthumb Wow! Thank you so much for all the info. I tried to post pictures with the original post but now realize my issue was sizing.

We found this behind someone's furnace at an estate sale. Immediately fell in love but didn't know what to do with it. This is my second antique that means the world to me but might have pretty little value.

Thank you so much for warning us about plugging it in. My husband has been itching to replace the cord and do just that. I keep telling him not until we know what we have and what to do!

Once I have some more time, I know there will be many more questions! Thank you everyone. No worries about us ruining an heirloom.

Attachments:
20171225_000838.jpg
20171225_000838.jpg [ 195.84 KiB | Viewed 817 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 7:12 am 

From the front, that certainly looks like the "easily restorable" variety of antique radio. It's gorgeous! As long as the power transformer and speaker check out, I imagine it would be a straightforward job.

Since it seems to have had a fairly plain grill cloth in it, I think you couldn't go wrong with a piece of whiskey rayon cloth from Kenny Richmond. Take a look here: http://richmonddesignsinc.com/grille_cloth_product_page

Other than Kenny's selection, there aren't a lot of other options. Most of the cloth I've seen vendors selling as 'grill cloth' is much too heavy (likely upholstery cloth) and has a deleterious effect on the sound quality of radios it's used in. Some people have even said that Kenny's grill cloths are too heavy. A good grill cloth has to be a very loose weave.

The schematic, parts list, and alignment instructions for your radio are published in Riders Perpetual Troubleshooting Manual. It's available in electronic copy from about 3 online sources, including here: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/350/M0022350.htm

Some other info is collected here: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/united_660c.html

Do you think you and your husband will try to restore this radio yourself, hire someone to do it, or keep the radio unrestored as a decorative piece?

-Rodney

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 4:06 pm 

What is your location? Perhaps there is a repair person near. The dial on those are beautiful....grill cloth so-so. Anyway, that's a nice set. Craig

PostPosted: Dec Mon 25, 2017 4:56 pm 

yes, give your location so we might help more.
Your radio is from 1937, its a very well made radio, which shared chassis with some Westinghouse radios. I had a very similar model 670 for years, it was one of my very first console radios back in 1973!
Your radio will need the basic servicing we do to all vintage radios.... fresh capacitors, tubes tested, controls cleaned, etc. These are fairly straight ahead jobs for those of us who have been at this a while. Internal parts are not an issue usually, the COSMETIC stuff on the outside is an issue, so a good original finish and full set of knobs and especially, unbroken dial glass and good grille cloth are important. Your cloth might need replacing, there are a few console type cloths being reproduced, runs about $20 for a pc large enough.
So, DONT try to play it 'as is' !!! Also, we are usually adding a 3.5mm stereo plug cord so you can add a Bluetooth receiver to this radio. Easy to do.
Happy Holidays and stick around here... its a good group that knows whats what usually.
Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
Plymouth, MI

PostPosted: Dec Tue 26, 2017 9:41 pm 

Replacement grill cloth.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... oth&_frs=1

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... 1070&dpr=1

If you decide to restore this radio then do it for yourself because you may very likely lose money if you invest in it just for the sake of flipping it.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:43 am 

Wow! You are all the best. We are in Farmington Hills, MI. We have no desire to flip it. I want to restore it for ourselves. We're hoping to make our house a little bit Victorian style. My biggest fear is screwing it up. I don't want to ruin a rare piece of history. In a couple of weeks I want to sit down and start planning what to do. Thank you!