Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 7:31 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 2:12 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 29467
Location: SoCal, 91387
FStephenMasek wrote:

I think you guys are missing a key part of what I'm doing to respond regarding the old Cadillac. It costs lots of money to work on old cars, and that same money can yield a much more enjoyable experience.

Ahh Stephen old boy, brilliant as you are, my friend, I'm afraid the gist here is going over your head. Yes, I agree, that in a practical sense, funding is better spent on a new, or near new vehicle, with all the current tech bells and whistles.

Now the key word above is PRACTICAL. And what the OP wants is based on EMOTIONAL. These two concepts, as I'm sure you are well aware, don't belong in the same room together. Let me give you my own pipe-dream scenario; I would pay good money to go back to one evening's cruising down Van Nuys Blvd in 1962, in my customized '55 Chevy Bel Air, with the GF sitting next to me on the (tuck and roll) bench seat. Capisci?

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 2:39 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 7978
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank CA
fifties wrote:
I would pay good money to go back to one evening's cruising down Van Nuys Blvd in 1962, in my customized '55 Chevy Bel Air, with the GF sitting next to me on the (tuck and roll) bench seat. Capisci?


And I would be next to you in my `55 trying to ease the throttle on my 301 with six carbs. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 4:41 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 13255
beat_truck wrote:
The design of Lima 4 banger that came in Pinto was used a long time and didn't really even change that drastically over time. They were also in the Ford Ranger, Mustang, Fairmont, T-Bird Turbo Coupe, and Merkur XR4Ti. The Ranger used them until 2001, I believe. I had one in my '91 Ranger. It was a turd, but it was nearly indestructible.

While true, the original(optional) 2.0 OHC Pinto engine was German sourced, the Lima 2.3L(and later 2.0 & 2.5) wasn't introduced till '74 with the debut of the new double Mustangs.. AFAIK no parts are interchangeable between the two engines... Base engine in early Pinto was the 1.6L Kent OHV...

Mike Toon wrote:
fifties wrote:
I would pay good money to go back to one evening's cruising down Van Nuys Blvd in 1962, in my customized '55 Chevy Bel Air, with the GF sitting next to me on the (tuck and roll) bench seat. Capisci?


And I would be next to you in my `55 trying to ease the throttle on my 301 with six carbs. :lol:

A little over carbed eh??

FStephenMasek wrote:
I rebuilt one of the V6 engines in my brother in-law's Mustang II. What a complicated cooling system!

I think you guys are missing a key part of what I'm doing to respond regarding the old Cadillac. It costs lots of money to work on old cars, and that same money can yield a much more enjoyable experience.

Speak for yourself, I found rebuilding a original type power steering system, installing and doing my own front end alignment on my Cobra Jet far more rewarding than replacing capacitors in a old radio... For cost of maybe a payment on your new car, I turned mine into a new one...

_________________
Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 5:22 am 
Member

Joined: Apr Mon 04, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 694
Location: SW PA
35Z5 wrote:
While true, the original(optional) 2.0 OHC Pinto engine was German sourced, the Lima 2.3L(and later 2.0 & 2.5) wasn't introduced till '74 with the debut of the new double Mustangs.. AFAIK no parts are interchangeable between the two engines... Base engine in early Pinto was the 1.6L Kent OHV...

Ah, I thought the early Pintos had different engines but wasn't sure. I suppose I should have looked it up. :oops: Most of the Fords I've been around were '79 and up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 5:37 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Sat 22, 2006 10:46 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
FStephenMasek wrote:
I think you guys are missing a key part of what I'm doing to respond regarding the old Cadillac. It costs lots of money to work on old cars, and that same money can yield a much more enjoyable experience.


Bzzt. Not true. Amortized over several years old cars are actually fairly inexpensive, in any case a whole lot less than making monthly payments or purchasing new. They are also cheap to insure. They are also recycling at its finest. While it's difficult to make money repairing or restoring cars certain models have either at least held their value in terms of purchasing power or appreciated nicely. Vintage firearms, guitars, and autos have been a good hedge. And who is to say what others find enjoyable?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 6:07 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 8085
Location: Litchfield Minnesota USA
Moreover, if it's all about the money then how about those who go out and buy a brand new car and two days later it's lost a good percentage of its value already. A year later you might as well have bought a used car in the first place and let someone else take the hit.
If everybody did that, of course, there wouldn't be any new cars coming out.
But my point is that a modern car is a money loser just as much as an older car. Cars cost money for their entire life span- that's all there is to it.

Mark D.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 8:12 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
Mark D wrote:
Moreover, if it's all about the money then how about those who go out and buy a brand new car and two days later it's lost a good percentage of its value already. A year later you might as well have bought a used car in the first place and let someone else take the hit.
If everybody did that, of course, there wouldn't be any new cars coming out.
But my point is that a modern car is a money loser just as much as an older car. Cars cost money for their entire life span- that's all there is to it.

Mark D.

You didn't mention the newer modern cars will also as daily drivers get you to your destinations, better mileage, non pollutant and front wheel traction. If you want one for shelf queen or attend local car show this is a plus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 8:30 pm 
Member

Joined: Apr Mon 04, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 694
Location: SW PA
Mark D wrote:
Moreover, if it's all about the money then how about those who go out and buy a brand new car and two days later it's lost a good percentage of its value already. A year later you might as well have bought a used car in the first place and let someone else take the hit.
If everybody did that, of course, there wouldn't be any new cars coming out.
But my point is that a modern car is a money loser just as much as an older car. Cars cost money for their entire life span- that's all there is to it.

Mark D.

I know a local guy that is worth around $35 Million. As far as I know, he NEVER buys brand new vehicles. He does what you say. He lets the original buyer take the hit, and then he buys it after it's at least a year or two old. He even buys his WIFE a (slightly) used vehicle. All of his company vehicles are bought used, too. Sometimes VERY used. :shock: I know, I worked on several. :roll: He's tighter than bark on a tree, though. I guess that's why he's worth the big bucks. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 8:56 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 08, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 9271
Location: alameda,CA
Quote:
I know, I worked on several. :roll: He's tighter than bark on a tree, though. I guess that's why he's worth the big bucks.


I'm not worth anything close to that at all but if I think about the math of vehicle purchasing and what I've done I shudder to think what I would've spent over the years. They say the average consumer keeps a vehicle for 10 years or so. The typical family has 2 cars. The average car now costs about $30k. That means in the space of a lifetime the average family will probably spend $300,000 on cars or more if they get something fancy. In our case I've had the same exact truck, which was $11k new for 23 years. We inherited my wife's father's prius when he passed away and bought a used Volt for $19k 5 years ago. Had we done like the "typical" family had done by now we woud've spent around $130,000 on cars so far. Instead the money can get used on more important things. Like mortgage payments and radios!~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 9:59 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 8085
Location: Litchfield Minnesota USA
hoffies2 wrote:

You didn't mention the newer modern cars will also as daily drivers get you to your destinations, better mileage, non pollutant and front wheel traction. If you want one for shelf queen or attend local car show this is a plus.


1) Any car kept up will get you to where you want to go. All cars need to be kept up, so there's no benefit there except that the older cars ARE easier to work on, meaning that for those who can't tell a screwdriver from a spark plug socket it still doesn't cost as much to have someone do maintenance, generally speaking.

2) the few older cars still operating aren't contributing enough carbon to make a difference. My wife's car, for instance, cannot get itself over 18 mpg. True, it's from 2008, but it's a 'newer' car compared to a '62 Cadillac which will probably give around 14. Both use premium gas. For a difference of 4 miles per gallon, if I wanted to drive a pristine '62 Caddi because I want to, I WILL drive a '62 Cadillac. 4 mpg difference isn't worth thinking about. Any new car that gets huge gas mileage isn't something I would ever consider driving and I suspect that's exactly the kind of car the O.P. doesn't want. Along with the rest of the modern fleet where an electronic gadget can go fwippp without warning.

3) Who the hell would want front wheel drive unless it's the only option? Have you not noticed that the high performance cars, with the best handling, are REAR wheel drive? Big reason for that.
Also, for the average 'driver' who lives in snow country rear wheel drive is more dangerous to himself and others with front wheel drive than rear wheel drive because they can't control a car on a slippery surface to save their life. But they lose control much more quickly with front wheel drive.
Have you noticed the trend for car makers heading slowly back to rear wheel drive? Their original reason was dual. 1) because they could make more cabin space in a smaller car. and 2) it was cheaper to assemble. To a car maker, it was a no brainer. Then they advertised at as a better handling car, knowing that very few people would be able to say, "Yeah right, you're full of it."

BUT again, the O.P. know he can buy a new car. He doesn't WANT a 'new' car! It has nothing to do with public style logic, it has to do with what HE likes. I'm in his corner completely. I don't want to drive a '62 Cadillac, but I reserve the right to drive anything I want to drive as long as it's legal to drive it, and the O.P. has the very same right.

Mark D.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:07 pm 
Member

Joined: Apr Mon 04, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 694
Location: SW PA
Mark D wrote:
Who the hell would want front wheel drive unless it's the only option? Have you not noticed that the high performance cars, with the best handling, are REAR wheel drive? Big reason for that.
Also, for the average 'driver' who lives in snow country rear wheel drive is more dangerous to himself and others with front wheel drive than rear wheel drive because they can't control a car on a slippery surface to save their life. But they lose control much more quickly with front wheel drive.

Me. :mrgreen:
I have had many FWD vehicles over the years, and for the most part, I don't have a problem with them. Maybe it's because I've always been around them. High performance vehicles mean little to me. I just buy for transportation/utility. In some ways and situations, I actually find FWDs easier to work on. I do prefer them in the snow, and not because I can't control a RWD. I've driven them in the winter, including several 2wd pickups. Even in my 4wd pickups, I won't use the 4wd until they just plain can't go anymore in 2wd. In most cases, I just find the FWD just went better than the RWD, no matter how good of winter tires and how much weight I added to the RWD. With some FWD cars I've had, about the only way to get the rear end to break free and go sideways was to yank the emergency brake. Not that I ever did that on purpose, though. :mrgreen: The only thing I don't like about FWD in the winter is steering can be iffy when you're on the throttle.

Edit: After driving the AWD Ford Escape I have now, I don't particularly care to have either a FWD or RWD again for a winter vehicle. No adding weight. No 4wd levers, knobs, buttons, or hubs to turn. No spinning for the most part, even if I try and floor it. :twisted: Just put it in gear and go.


Last edited by beat_truck on Jan Sat 20, 2018 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:19 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
There's a lot of variables in your explanations, no proof or different level of vehicle sizes mentioned. Me being in a younger generation find zero problems with newer cars. Having 21 years with a Ford dealership is enough experience for me. But to each his own, everyone wasn't born out of the same mold.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:25 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 08, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 9271
Location: alameda,CA
Quote:
Who the hell would want front wheel drive unless it's the only option?


Well... this is a weird comparison but my buddy bought a 73' Cadillac Eldorado convertible and for that generation they were using the same chassis as the Oldsmobile Toronado, which was FWD, a first for GM. Anyway... I was sort of dismissive of it until I actually drove it. Compared to my own RWD boat it handled amazingly well... much better than mine. It had much better steering response and was easier to get into and out of corners with. RWD really didn't come back into common use in sports cars and luxury yachts until more recently because by then things like computer controlled traction control and better suspension systems allowed for one to have the nice torque of a RWD car without the squirrely handing the old cars like mine have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:30 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
Mark D wrote:
Moreover, if it's all about the money then how about those who go out and buy a brand new car and two days later it's lost a good percentage of its value already. A year later you might as well have bought a used car in the first place and let someone else take the hit.
If everybody did that, of course, there wouldn't be any new cars coming out.
But my point is that a modern car is a money loser just as much as an older car. Cars cost money for their entire life span- that's all there is to it.

Mark D.

If you have the ability $$$$$ to buy a new car often then that's fine.. If you keep a new car 10 years then depreciation really doesn't matter 130K+ miles later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:31 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11978
Location: Mpls, Minnesota
hoffies2 wrote:
Having 21 years with a Ford dealership is enough experience for me.

It all depends on what you did at the dealership, you may have worked in the office and had no hands on experience.

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:50 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
easyrider8 wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Having 21 years with a Ford dealership is enough experience for me.

It all depends on what you did at the dealership, you may have worked in the office and had no hands on experience.

Dave

Used car manager, no stranger to different manufacturers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 12:30 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 11978
Location: Mpls, Minnesota
hoffies2 wrote:
easyrider8 wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Having 21 years with a Ford dealership is enough experience for me.

It all depends on what you did at the dealership, you may have worked in the office and had no hands on experience.

Dave

Used car manager, no stranger to different manufacturers.

I always thought you were a little shady :)

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 1:25 am 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
Dave[/quote]
Used car manager, no stranger to different manufacturers.[/quote]
I always thought you were a little shady :)

Chuckle, you made my day, lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 1:44 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 29467
Location: SoCal, 91387
hoffies2 wrote:
Me being in a younger generation find zero problems with newer cars.

Umm, hoffies old boy, I always thought that you were one of us antiques, as in 80 something?

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 2:03 am 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 12027
Location: 06457
fifties wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Me being in a younger generation find zero problems with newer cars.

Umm, hoffies old boy, I always thought that you were one of us antiques, as in 80 something?

Aww fifties, ya got me, makes me feel good to say the younger generation though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: easyrider8, PaulC, tubes4life and 15 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB