Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 21, 2018 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Someone Is Trying to Scam Me
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 4:06 pm 

Looking for a little advice he as I value the knowledge base here on the forum. Some scammer (I could use much more descriptive adjectives here but don't want to be crude) responded to my Craigslist add And was a no-show on pickup. Since I did not recognize the area code on the TXT message I was already somewhat suspicious. But I thought, maybe that is a Walmart throwaway phone or something. I googled the number and it was from American Messaging Service, apparently a company (California, I am in Illinois) that allows one to do nationwide paging and txting via a computer. Aha, I bet I will be seeing a check in the mail. I gave him my last name (mailbox) but First letter only on first name. Sure enough, two days later another txt says he is so sorry with a line of excuses and said I will be receiving a check (I said cash only). Should I just play this guy; or contact American messaging? Can they trace him by looking up his account number? Report it to Craigslist ;or just ignore it and just go on. It's probable a waste of time trying to stop these jerks but this really Pxss's me off. I changed my Craigslist password. Thanks, Bill

Post subject: Re: Someone Is Trying to Scam Me
PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 4:13 pm 

Return the check, restating the cash only terms of the sale, and ignoring any further contact with him.

Those people deserve no time or patience.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 4:23 pm 

Many people recommend meeting in a neutral location, never giving out your home address, etc.

In Annapolis, the local police department provides a meeting place for the purpose.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 5:46 pm 

Absolutely return the check. But cash can be difficult at times when the mail is considered. There is another option.
You can insist on a postal money order OR a bank certified money order.
The two above are very safe.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:15 pm 

My police department has a dedicated Cyber Crime Unit.

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 6:50 pm 

Don't waste another second on it. Give his check back if/when you see cash.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 7:15 pm 

You may consider contacting your local law enforcement. If it is a scam and it involves the postal service, they may want to contact the postal authorities. That may result in shutting another scammer down. They are apparently trying to mask their identity which is suspicious in itself. See how the whole issue unfolds and if it is still seemingly hinky, contact your local police or sheriff's office for advice. It's just my opinion but I would try to expose a scammer to the authorities if I had the option.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 9:50 pm 

Turn the check over to LEO or USPS then DROP ALL CONTACT.

The scammer has your name, address and who knows what else. Scammers have been known to SWAT people. For instance they have called in fake armed robbery/hostage/shots fired etc. causing innocent people to be killed.

Be careful on Craigslist and other social media. Never give out your RL info.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 10:02 pm 

Why even go to the trouble of returning the check? You didn't ask for it; if he wants it back he can send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 10:15 pm 

Giving someone your name and address on Craigslist is OK if...
you want to meet a̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶t̶ the cast from the Jerry Springer Show... :shock:

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 10:39 pm 

Don't get pissed off, this is simply the modern world, so you might as well just roll with it.

I sincerely doubt that you will see a check forthcoming, and assuming that you don't, I would suggest just moving on with your life and forgetting about this. If he's truly a scammer, you won't stop him.

If you DO receive it, however, message him back, tell him you are destroying the check since the terms were cash, and perhaps have him PayPal funds to your account, adding 3% to cover the PP fee.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:23 pm 

I bet you never get the check. If you do, just tell him you want cash only and he can have his check back when he forks over cash. If I was nervous about someone coming to my house, I would have a little something in my pocket just in case.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:31 pm 

If it's a scam they usually send a check for more than the agreed amount. Then he tells you to deposit it anyway nd wire him back the overage amount. Then he gets your account number and withdraws your whole balance.
Oh by the way... he's most likely in Nigeria.
Goodbye money forever.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 26, 2018 11:40 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
If it's a scam they usually send a check for more than the agreed amount. Then he tells you to deposit it anyway nd wire him back the overage amount. Then he gets your account number and withdraws your whole balance.
Oh by the way... he's most likely in Nigeria.
Goodbye money forever.

From what I understand, yes, they'll send a check for well above what was asked for, then state to keep some of the overage for your trouble, and send the difference back by Western Union, which of course makes it unrecoverable by the sender. Then the original check they sent, bounces.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:43 am 

Well, just as I anticipated , I did get the check. Nice fellow, it was a cashiers check for $1,950.50 for a sale of $125.00! It showed issued from a bank out of Louisville, KY which is a valid bank. The purchaser. Casey Robertson gave a real address but records do not show him living there. Needless to say, I did not respond to this thief's txt's and reported the scam to the local sheriff department. The check was destroyed. He had no info about me other than address and last name which is pretty well available to anyone. The deputy said they try to track these and usually come up with a dead end. I think he said Nigeria is a common theme. I would think a recipient would need a good address to send money to but maybe scammer would just want it wired. I did not want to waste any more of my time with this dirtbag to find out. There is also an FBI online to report these scams . It seems they should be able to trace these outgoing txt's to an account he used at American Messaging Company (like reverse caller ID) and shut the account down, but; there is not a regulation to force them to do it (I was Told). The only reason this guy had my address was so he could pick up the appliance as I did not want to load it up and drag it to a Walmart meeting place. Its too bad we have these parasites to prey on people by remote control. They are betting that people's greed and getting something for nothing will override their common sense. If I ever use CL again, if its not a local area code, I will not respond. Now I'm not sure if I want to post my txt # or even e-mail. CL has their Email system you can use , but makes it harder to sell something. Heck, maybe I would be safer not trying to sell anything through CL, period.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:59 am 

A sad tale, but all too common nowadays

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 6:37 am 

The scammer sends you a check for excess money and he tells you to send him your check back for the excess.
But after you send him the refund of overage you discover HIS check bounced.

But why would anyone send him a check at all especially prior to his check clearing fully.

I doubt the check he sent was an actual "bank check" or "chashier's or teller's check" .... if it was a bank check it cannot have a "stop payment" made to it like a personal or business check because it is coming direct from the bank's assets.
Or perhaps if it say it is a "cashier's check" ... then probably it is a phony "cashier's check".

But ... regardless, it has to full clear before any next step.

However... this scam is so well known... that it's a wonder they catch anyone.

SCAM info:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/ ... bank-check

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 2:37 pm 

Internationally, it's getting worse everyday with the scammers.

I eat breakfast occasionally with a guy (Steve) that operates several e-commerce sites, all auto related. He was telling me yesterday morning about the latest scam involving re-shippers and scammers/customers that operate out of both Hong Kong and South Korea. The "customer" orders something and has it shipped to a US address in New Jersey or Florida - benign looking - and are legit commercial re-shippers, but just as soon as it shows delivered by UPS, here comes the "item not received" chargeback from the "customer" - who is actually (by IP address....) in China, Hong Kong, or Korea. Steve saw a pattern one day last week, and was able to stop several orders, but not after getting scammed out of about 300 dollars first. Now Steve is the wealthiest guy I know, but a scam is still a scam...

It seems PayPal has a policy that until the actual international "customer" receives the item, it is "not received", despite all of the confirmed delivery to the re-shipper by UPS and the Post Office. The seller would not be able to prove the "customer" actually received the item.

All the below is straight from PayPal -

Reversals - Please be aware that this payment can still be reversed (e.g. if it is subject to a chargeback), even after you have sent the item(s) to your buyer. Complying with PayPal’s Seller Protection and following the trading guidelines on our Security page helps to protect you from things like chargebacks.

Freight forwardersThird-party shipping services reship merchandise to another location (typically abroad) for a fee. To see where your package is being sent to, simply enter the shipping address into a search engine. If the search results show the name of shipping company, be cautious.
Shipping companies or P.O. boxesFraudsters like the anonymity that shipping companies and P.O. boxes provide. However, there are also a lot of legitimate reasons for using a shipping company or a P.O. box. You just need to be more cautious, since shipping to P.O. boxes and shipping companies can be more risky than shipping to residential addresses.

I expected Steve to tell me that he was scammed for some luxury stuff, but nope - just a few gaskets, a floor mat set, and some other assorted small parts. :?

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 2:46 pm 

Scammers have been hitting on me lately.
They have been making stupid mistakes.
NEVER EVER educate them
I saved a girl I know lots of money on some romance scammer
I said to her have the guy go down to a nearby store pick up a newspaper place the newspaper by their head and do a selfie.
1 see if they own that image instead of being stolen off the Web someplace
2 verify where they are

works every time

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 3:19 pm 

With many scams, there are two people I worry about: the perpetrator and the person that falls for it.

One thing that is frustrating is that the technology is available to stop most of these things.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next