Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping has really gotten out of control
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:22 pm 

I just sold a fan on Ebay that ended up bringing way more money than I expected. I charged $25 shipping and double-boxed the fan, with plenty of padding. Then, I took it to FedEx, insured it for the full amount of the fan, requested that someone sign for the package, and that 12 lb. box from MS to MI cost me $48 and some change to ship. I still made enough out of the fan to make it well worth my effort; but, had it been some $5 beat up radio, I would have gone in the hole.

The other day, I was going to send a small 5-tube radio (well packed) Priority mail and he first told me $14 and some change (it was slightly higher than Parcel Post). Then, he said, "let me measure the box, just to make sure." Oops....oversized package and then he wanted $35 priority vs. $14 and some change for Parcel Post. I told him to go Parcel Post. They don't miss a trick, when it comes to ways to get more money out of you.

In the early-to-mid 2000's, I could send a well-packed radio or record player from MS to CA and it was usually in the $20-$30 range. I'd hate to think what it would be today and shipping charges have gotten so ludicrous that unless the item is high end/high dollar, it isn't worth it. In other words, I could see a $10 radio in the classifieds here; but, by the time we add $40 shipping, it would not be worth it.

On Ebay, I've declined on many items because the shipping was more than I was willing to pay and when I see an item with low shipping, I usually back away because that means they'll cut corners in packing (to reduce weight and box size) and I'll get a jigsaw puzzle.

Post subject: Re: Shipping has really gotten out of control
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:59 pm 

You can go online and figure out the postage, all you have to do is measure and weigh the box.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 10:24 pm 

Shipping charges on eBay are a deal killer for me most of the time.
If the shipping is more than the cost of the item I usually will pass on it.

I have come across many instances where an item would easily fit in a USPS flat rate box yet the seller wants three times the cost.

You never used to be older.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 10:36 pm 

What irks me is I can get a box of Yorkshire tea from England for $7 with free shipping. Or something from China for less than $2 shipping

Ship an empty box to UK or Europe and USPS starts at $48. They say I can't use first class. They will say the customs form is the wrong one and hand me a different one. Then the package gets returned from customs after 6 weeks.

Ok, UPS or FedEx if I want it to actually get there. Price starts at $98.

USPS has taken almost two weeks for about 1/3 of the things I have had shipped through the midwest. Large things, no problem; a thick envelope will take 4 days to move 20 miles.

Amazon has some deal with USPS, I order on Fri and it is delivered Sunday, free shipping. Seems many ebay sellers use the Amazon shipping.

/rant

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 11:45 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
"I took it FedEx"

They might not be finished with you yet. With their additional fees the slightest thing goes wrong on their part and they'll charge you more.

I don't understand a small 5-tube radio being in an oversized box. You need to somewhat pre-pack your items, use the ebay calculator, then use what figure you want in your listing and when sold print your shipping labels from Ebay. USPS will pick up your Priority Mail boxes no charge. If you have other regular USPS parcels they will pick them up too with just one Priority included.

With Ebay discounts you would have done better on your FedEx shipment. I personally would not use FedEx, stems from getting jacked around on a few shipments as well as a few deliveries.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:31 am 

Yesterday I sent a chassis weighing 17 pounds via FedEx ground, from NJ to Chicago and it cost $27.73.
Shipping is kinda like the food prices we pay....outta control.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:18 am 

Check with your local Greyhound depot, sometimes its a lot cheaper especially on large/heavy items. (Greydog Express :wink: )

The receiver of the item has to be willing to pick it up at the depot nearest them, though!

http://shipgreyhound.com/e/pages/Home.aspx

Sometimes if the distance is not too far and its on a regular route, you can ship it in the morning and they get it that afternoon. I shipped a Jeep windshield from Santa Ana to Paso Robles, cost $13 and they got it the same day, it would have been $60 by UPS and a few days

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:18 am 

bcascisa wrote:
Shipping charges on eBay are a deal killer for me most of the time.
If the shipping is more than the cost of the item I usually will pass on it..

they sure are and I sure do.

it is not about not being able to afford it, it is about how even a fair cost of something is totally skewed b/c of shipping.

there are quite a few things I would like to buy on ebay, but when the shipping is added, forget it.

so I win that minty 1960's 8" quam NIB speaker to put into one of my vintage "school wall speaker" cabinets for completely fair $20-$30.

with shipping it is now a $43-$53 speaker.

nope

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:55 am 

Or, you get that record player or radio for $0.99 and then have to add $43.70 shipping to it - nope, I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:09 am 

that's absolutely correct.

steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 4:37 am 

Those lucky folks with a commercial account seem to get substantial discounts.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:35 pm 

I guess the commercial accounts is why I can buy a record player or radio off of the Goodwill auction site and shipping is under $20; but, it would cost me $40 to ship the same item.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 10:03 pm 

China sponsors shipping of parcels into the US - the negotiated low price is the fee from the US entry port to the destination in the US via First Class mail.

Anyone with a PayPal account gets the USPS Commercial Base pricing - about 9% less for stuff weighing less than a pound, and as the weight goes up, the discount grows.

You access "Multiorder Shipping" form the tools menu to use the PayPal shipping option - no "order" necessary. I use it for just about everything that qualifies as a parcel...

As to UPS and FedEx, cross border shipping is not their forte, so I avoid them and use First Class Mail for stuff up to 4LBS, and try to avoid any >8LB parcel going overseas - the shipping gets ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:41 pm 

I make plastic enclosures for electronic kits (primarily for Elecraft, a ham radio co) and use USPS solely for my shipping needs due to the light weight. I have shipped all over the world using Priority Mail International as well as First Class International and (knock on wood) have never lost a package yet. I've had some delays up to a couple of weeks due to customs on the receiving side but there was always a delivery.

I use PayPal and get the commercial rate. I set up tables in PayPal that calculates the shipping based on weight and destination (from the USPS commercial pricing tables). First Class International now allows tracking and is a very economically viable method as long as the weight stays low. I know that doesn't work for radios and chassis, but thinking it would work well for parts etc. Within the last few years, PayPal allows filling out the short customs form which I just print out as a label and put in on the box. Very convenient. Of course I offer regular Priority Mail of First Class package options for shipping in the states. YMMV

Dave W8FGU

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 8:37 pm 

How can China sell and ship these test leads to my house for 83¢ and make a profit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Alligat ... SwPh5ZNYnf

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 8:42 pm 

I agree, haven't shipped radios in awhile and I too put a fixed price on shipping and was shocked that both items cost double what I was expecting. Live and learn I guess.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:51 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
How can China sell and ship these test leads to my house for 83¢ and make a profit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Alligat ... SwPh5ZNYnf

Same way Walmart can sell me fresh Energizer 9V batteries for 49 cents - closeouts - (had movie tie-in with Paddington, now out of mainstream theaters...). In China, the manufacturers have over-runs, and sell them at deep discounts to clear the factory (usually right next door or one level below the seller) and the seller gets them for a penny or less - then sells massive quantities to make a profit. E-Packet shipping to the US is cheap when you have China subsidizing (read:FREE) delivery to the US port of entry via MV SloBoatFromChina.... The USPS gets about 1/2 of what they charge us, but only has to move the items from the US port of entry to the delivery address. With China guaranteeing something like 1.2 million packages A DAY, it adds up for the USPS. They do make money at this.

Note that any item greater than 2KG (4.4 pounds) has to go regular mail from China-no subsidy. $3.80 purchase price for a 1 Ton Bottle Jack, 17.00 for shipping.....from China.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:00 pm 

Something people forget about the commercial items being shipped from China - the shipping is subsidized by the government. If you were to buy an old radio from a private party in China, the shipping would be sky high. I once made a trade with a collector in China. I shipped him two American AA5s and he shipped me two tube radios that were built in China. Shipping costs on both sides were about $200 and that was quite a few years ago.

As for Fedex, I seldom use them. Most of the time they come in the highest of all shippers. If the service was that much better, it would be worth something, but from what I have seen, it's not. Most of the time the USPS has the best rate and I've never had issues unless the mailman didn't know how to read.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:07 pm 

I can't figure out how to estimate shipping costs using PayPal shipping to get the discount. It seems that you first need to set yourself up as a business. Is that correct?

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:49 am 

Dave,

PayPal uses USPS's Commercial Base pricing (which is less than the retail pricing you see when getting an estimate). Here is a link to their Commercial Base calculator: https://dbcalc.usps.com/CalculatorSetPa ... rcial_Base

This part of their Postal Explorer site: https://pe.usps.com/ You can also find price lists for all their offerings both domestic and international. I use the Commercial Base tables in PayPal to setup shipping both domestic and internationally. The only problem is they only allow you to set up the shipping domestically by state as opposed to postal zone. But it gets you pretty close.

Hope this helps...

Dave W8FGU

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next