Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soldering Question
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:43 am 

I bought 2 (like new) cans of Nokorode NOS flux (in metal tins) a year or two ago because I lost the old one I had moving stuff around and I missed it. I've used it on radio gear w/o any problems

more avail on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-No ... SwVlVaNfIN

I also have some Radioshack soldering paste/flux... works fine too.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:05 am 

Product description
An Industry Standard for Over 50 Years. Nokorode® Regular Paste Flux can be used with 95/5, 60/40, 50/50 and 40/60 and and all lead free solders. It can be used on all solderable metals including copper, tin, zinc, nickel, and sheet lead. Do not use on stainless steel, aluminum or magnesium. Not recommended for electronic use. Nokorode® Regular Paste Flux will not freeze or decompose. No odor. Lead free. Meets Specification O-F-506, Type 1A and A-A-51145, MIL-F-4995-2. Packaged in a 1.7 ounce (48 grams) plastic tub INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Remove all dirt from surfaces to be soldered. 2. Do not breathe vapors during soldering operations. 3. Apply a small amount of flux evenly to both joining surfaces. Heat and apply solder in normal manner. 4. When joint has cooled, wipe outside and flush inside surfaces thoroughly with water. 5. Flux paste may liquefy if stored under very hot conditions (usually greater than 130 degree F). Before using, cool slightly until flux re-solidifies. CHARACTERISTICS: Cleans and fluxes in one operation saving time and money. Smooth consistency makes it easy to apply. Flows smoothly into even the smallest cavity Lead free and acid free - safe to use on potable water systems Multipurpose for use with 95/5, 60/40, 50/50, and 40/60 solder Special oil base protects the solder joint against corrosive attack Low scorching Low spattering Meets: OF 506 Type 1 A MIL - F - 4995 MIL - F S - 6872A

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:10 am 

easyrider8 wrote:
Product description
An Industry Standard for Over 50 Years. Nokorode® Regular Paste Flux can be used with 95/5, 60/40, 50/50 and 40/60 and and all lead free solders. It can be used on all solderable metals including copper, tin, zinc, nickel, and sheet lead. Do not use on stainless steel, aluminum or magnesium. Not recommended for electronic use. Nokorode® Regular Paste Flux will not freeze or decompose. No odor. Lead free. Meets Specification O-F-506, Type 1A and A-A-51145, MIL-F-4995-2. Packaged in a 1.7 ounce (48 grams) plastic tub INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Remove all dirt from surfaces to be soldered. 2. Do not breathe vapors during soldering operations. 3. Apply a small amount of flux evenly to both joining surfaces. Heat and apply solder in normal manner. 4. When joint has cooled, wipe outside and flush inside surfaces thoroughly with water. 5. Flux paste may liquefy if stored under very hot conditions (usually greater than 130 degree F). Before using, cool slightly until flux re-solidifies. CHARACTERISTICS: Cleans and fluxes in one operation saving time and money. Smooth consistency makes it easy to apply. Flows smoothly into even the smallest cavity Lead free and acid free - safe to use on potable water systems Multipurpose for use with 95/5, 60/40, 50/50, and 40/60 solder Special oil base protects the solder joint against corrosive attack Low scorching Low spattering Meets: OF 506 Type 1 A MIL - F - 4995 MIL - F S - 6872A

Yes.. I think you posted that data back when I bought it.
Can't figure out why they don't want electronic work... all my stuff... even over many years all seems fine w/no corrosion or anything.. still shiny joints etc.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:13 pm 

From the product data sheet:

Quote:
Lead free and acid free ­ safe to use on
potable water systems

Contains:  Zinc Chloride and Ammonium Chloride. 

More info here.

The SDS says it may produce fumes of zinc, chlorine or HCL. All irritants.

So, it is 70% petrolium jelly, rest zinc chloride and ammonium chloride.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:28 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:

"Radiotricians"? :shock: That's what we are??

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 2:22 pm 

For something available in 2018, I found this on Bing. Caig labs had a similar size container for $31.06. It failed to impress me.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/miniatroni ... ent=Brands

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:08 pm 

Old Tube wrote:
From time to time I get an AA5 that has had the loop antenna cut out of it, but present in the chassis. Most times when I have repaired the radio and wish to re-attach the loop I find it very hard to get a good solder joint. I have sanded clean the copper wires to remove dirt and what I think is shellac but it still does not want to take solder. Other copper I have run across easily takes the solder. Am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something else?
Regards,
Don
Aluminum? Remove the plastic body from a #22 x #4 lug, Snip off the ring, use a tulip crimper that fits the lug, if you have one, crimp to the offending wire and solder to the circuit using the exposed tab.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:57 pm 

19&41 wrote:
For something available in 2018,

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal- ... -Flux-1-lb

Brett

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:03 pm 

Brett_Buck wrote:
19&41 wrote:
For something available in 2018,

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal- ... -Flux-1-lb

Brett

I can imagine a pound of Nokorode lasting most of us several lifetimes. :D
The price is certainly reasonable.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

I have the impression that zinc chloride, the flux agent in this product, does have a corrosive effect on electrical connections if it's not washed off.

How about just plain rosin paste flux like https://www.amazon.com/Rosin-Paste-Flux-135-Jar/dp/B008ZIV85A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520439195&sr=8-4&keywords=paste+flux?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:35 pm 

Avery wrote:
I have the impression that zinc chloride, the flux agent in this product, does have a corrosive effect on electrical connections if it's not washed off.

How about just plain rosin paste flux like https://www.amazon.com/Rosin-Paste-Flux-135-Jar/dp/B008ZIV85A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520439195&sr=8-4&keywords=paste+flux?
Yep, zinc chloride is corrosive and so is ammonium chloride, (sal ammoniac) often found in mechanics tinning blocks.

It is really hard to wash off a grease based corrosive flux. A liquid flux like the NoCorode plumbers flux can be washed off and works really well on chassis connections and oxidized wire. I use a moistened cotton swap to apply.

None the less if used on insulated wire and the wire dunked in it will travel up the wire by capillary action and cannot be removed. I use just enough to wet the very end of the wire. the heat of soldering causes total evaporation and neutralization from the copper ions.

Using any acid flux with an copper tip or even an iron tip will cause a rapid dissolution to the tip. If you use an iron with pricey iron tips Oops...

Be aware that chemical tip cleaners need to be acid free as well...

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:22 pm 

Sorry, the flux I suggested was for electronics, not plumbing.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:22 pm 

Avery wrote:
Mike Toon wrote:

That's the key word I read too!! :-) ... Now I finally understand who/what I am.

Maybe I'll wear a tee shirt with that emblazoned across the front.
.. but then some young whippersnapper will ask :"What's a radio?"

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:03 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Avery wrote:
Mike Toon wrote:

That's the key word I read too!! :-) ... Now I finally understand who/what I am.

Maybe I'll wear a tee shirt with that emblazoned across the front.
.. but then some young whippersnapper will ask :"What's a radio?"

But wouldn't you want him to ask? Wouldn't that be the point of the T-shirt? Just think how grateful he'd be! :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2