Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 16, 2018 1:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: radio transmitter
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:40 pm 

so i dont know where you are but here where i am the only thing on AM anymore is mexicans, politics and church stations :oops: ... is there any way i can make a small am radio transmitter so i can hook it up to my computer which has a bunch of old music on it, i want somewthing easy to make, small and cheap. i only need it to transmit maybe 10 feet. i want to transmit on AM channel 850 if at all possible.

Post subject: Re: radio transmitter
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

You can look in the Homebrew section of ARF for several different schematics of transmitters that are relatively simple to build. Most of them use a crystal controlled oscillator, so what frequency you are going to transmit on depends upon being able to purchase that oscillator component for the specific frequency you need, which is often not possible to obtain. However you could build one of the transmitters that has a tunable output frequency.

You could also buy a ready made unit from Talking House which has an ad on the right side of the page-------->

Most people have had the best luck with transmitters that operate near the high end of the AM band around 1600 or so.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:31 pm 

+1 Dennis,

I exclusively stream off my computer/Internet. I like to listen to an oldies Internet station out of Connecticut. I have a small transmitter that I use which might work for you too. PM me and I'll send you a small PDF document that has the print and all the other information about it. Parts are cheap and simple, you should be able to get them all in your area.

Tomie

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 5:24 pm 

if it is any help i would also like to indicate that i have a small FM transmitter i will attach a picture if it is help but it broadcasts very low on th fm band like 90 mhz or somewhere around that, is there any way i can convert it into an a signal? o pick it up on the tube radio?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 6:03 pm 

ecaden1 wrote:
if it is any help i would also like to indicate that i have a small FM transmitter i will attach a picture if it is help but it broadcasts very low on th fm band like 90 mhz or somewhere around that, is there any way i can convert it into an a signal? o pick it up on the tube radio?

Unfortunately, no. It's not that expensive to get a AM transmitter kit.

Another solution that's not often mentioned here: (circa 1970's) car FM converter. It connects directly to your AM radio's antenna terminal. You would have to power it with 12V. Vintage car collectors have driven up prices on auction sites, but you can get one for ~$30 if you're patient.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 7:04 pm 

AJJ wrote:
ecaden1 wrote:
if it is any help I would also like to indicate that I have a small FM transmitter I will attach a picture if it is help but it broadcasts very low on th FM band like 90 mhz or somewhere around that, is there any way I can convert it into an AM signal? o pick it up on the tube radio?
Unfortunately, no. It's not that expensive to get a AM transmitter kit.
Another solution that's not often mentioned here: (circa 1970's) car FM converter. It connects directly to your AM radio's antenna terminal. You would have to power it with 12V. Vintage car collectors have driven up prices on auction sites, but you can get one for ~$30 if you're patient.
I used to find these at yard sales and Church Rummage sales from .25 cents to $2.00. Haven't seen any lately...

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 7:27 pm 

A Talking House version FIVE https://www.ebay.com/itm/Talking-House-TH5-0-AM-Radio-Transmitter-in-Box/183142608797 Around $75. Plug directly from your computer into the transmitter or use a bluetooth receiver plugged into the Talking House transmitter. And feed it from any other blue tooth source.

Or much better quality this one. SS-Trans 3000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SStran-AMT3000-AM-Radio-Transmitter-Part-15-NO-FCC-License/123041206470

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 7:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
No comment on quality, but according to their website it's FCC approved :

http://www.6v6.co.uk/vcomp/pages/spitfire.htm

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 8:46 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
...according to their website it's FCC approved:
Website says it is FCC compliant. That does not mean it is FCC certified or approved. But at least you have some assurance that, if it did go through the certification process, the maker feels there is a good chance that it could be approved and issued a certification number.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2018 8:54 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Dave Doughty wrote:
John Bartley wrote:
...according to their website it's FCC approved:
Website says it is FCC compliant. That does not mean it is FCC certified or approved. But at least you have some assurance that, if it did go through the certification process, the maker feels there is a good chance that it could be approved and issued a certification number.

Dave

Yup, you're correct. I definitely missed that. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2018 9:38 pm 

hi thanks for all the suggestions, but i went to a thrift store that i go to often they have a bunch of stereo equipment the occasional vintage radio or two, i found a talking house transmitter for only 10$ so i went ahead and got it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mar Fri 30, 2018 9:58 pm 

Good for you! Please post how it works out, once you have it set up.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 12:57 am 

i will, i am out of town now and have not got it perminently ser up yrt but i have tryed it out with my walkman and it does work properly.