Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 21, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg Carlson TV???s
PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2000 5:44 pm 

I rescued a Stromberg Carlson mdl. 116-T b&w rectangular tubed television from my Dad's basement. I have many fond memories of watching Howdie Doodie, the Lone Ranger, Sky King, etc on this set as a rather young pup.<BR>It still remains at my Dad's place, but is no longer in the basement. It has a beautiful burled mahogony cabinet with two hinged doors and weights a ton. Size is about 36wx36dx20h inches. I intend to bring the SC home check it out, but have not yet had the opportuntity. <BR> Can anyone tell me something about this TV such as when it was made, how many were made,<BR>its' relative quality of design, etc? All my current references are for radios and are sadly lacking on these higher electronic life forms. Any suggestions or recommendations for a good early television general reference for collectors would be greatly appreciated. <BR> Thanks in advance for any help rendered.<P>Regards:<P> <P>------------------<BR>Larry Hare

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2000 6:13 pm 

Being Stromberg-Carlson, it's an uscale product by definition. The original models were patterned after Dumont chassis, to the extent of appearing to have been made by Dumont. I'm sure that S-C did manufacture the sets themselves. They used elegant period furniture cabinetry. Many sets went out as radio-phono-TV combinations, and most that i seem to have seen are in a chinese styled cabinet. Your set should be about a 1950 model, from my recollection. The years 1949-50 were the glory days of tlevision's infancy, though TV broadcasting began before the war.<BR> The favored programs were the Howdy Doody show, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Lucky Pup, The Mickey Mouse Club, The roller derby, and (Heaven help us) Wrestling. I watched 'em all!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2000 7:58 pm 

I've got a Blond Stromberg-Carlson console, it's got to be early 50's 21" screen. This set has a curved front and the safety glass matches the curve of the cabinet and it has 3 small knobs mounted vertically under the screen for secondary controls. Last time I fired it up was a few years ago and it would show a raster when I held the centering rings in place, the back cover of the yoke has deteriorated to black shreds and I have no way to keep the centering rings in place. I got the thing at an estate auction for hauling it off. How many times have you wished the people would have ask a lot more for something just so you wouldn't have to take it???<P>As far as the good shows, I remember my Dad wouldn't go to PTA meetings in the 50's because they held them on Tuesdays nights and Red Skelton was on. I'd never miss the Cisco Kid after school. We had a 17" Emerson table model that we used continously until I was in High School, it was just a wooden cube sitting on a wrought iron swivel stand. I can well remember watching the New years day parades for 1960 on that set. In some of my old family pictures the old Emerson is visible and you can even see the picture. Today the quality of the picture is better but the content...tsk tsk tsk !!!<P>------------------<BR>KA0SCR<p>[This message has been edited by Randy Bassham (edited 08-22-2000).]

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2000 4:12 am 

Thanks Doug and Randy for the great response. Doug, I believe my parents had this set before I was born in 1952, so your estimate of it's production date of 1950 sounds about right. And I agree of your statement with respect to Stromberg Carlson quality. I've alway had a sweet spot for Stromberg Carlson radios. They are all finely constructed, well designed, and great performers. <BR> Randy, I've seen an ad for your early Stromberg Carlson "Entertainment Center" amd it is quite a looker. Unfortunatley, my Dad's SC is about as far as I can go in this area because of the so many radios (televisions) so little room conumdrum.<BR> I only hope that I can get this prize up and operating again. It would indeed be an experience to watch Sky King again. Is there a way to feed some sort of simple audio/video signal into this set, from a VCR for example? <BR>Regards:<P>------------------<BR>Larry Hare

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2000 5:16 am 

There certainly is. A VCR will play into that set as well as any modern one. To go one measure further, I have a prewar RCA model TRK-12. Channel 5 prewar is now channel 4 (66-72 MC.). In a video tape I made a while back, I played a clip from the Pinocchio movie from a VCR into the TRK-12. The sequence was Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio singing; "Give A Little Whistle". As this played, I taped the performance through the mirror in the lid, with the camera picking up the sound from the RCA's speaker. It was a perfect demonstration of the set in operation, showing a movie made within a year of when the set was built. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Wed 23, 2000 5:44 am 

That's great Doug. I'll certainly give it a try, but first I have to retrieve this set and then get it up and running again. That nay or nay not be a major project. My Dad said it worked before it was relagated to the basement, but that was quite awhile ago. Still, it'll be an interesting challenge. As the Terminator said "I'll be back". Thanks for the great forum/<P>------------------<BR>Larry Hare

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2000 5:50 am 

Larry <BR>If it has continuous tuning from channel 2 to 13 including the FM 88-108MH Aircraft 108-136 MH, Amateur 2 Meter Band 144-148 MH. If I remember rightly that Set has a Dumont Contiuous Tuner in it. All the other manufacturers use Standard Coil or there own design which snapped from channel to channel. Standard Coil was one of the best, you could snap each channel coil out and clean the contacts and the contacts in the tuner. Each channel coil had its own tuning slug. Great era. I think somewhere up in my attic I have a Kinescope of a Howdy Doodie Show.<P>Ralph <P>------------------<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Mountain Vintage Radio (edited 08-25-2000).]

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2000 6:29 pm 

Hi Ralph:<P>Sorry about not responding to your reply earlier, but I thought the thread was dead. At any rate, thanks for the information. I don't have the SC here to check it out and I was but a very small pup, thirty years ago when I last operated this set so I don't remember how it tuned in the channels. It does have the tin finished control knobs layed out vertically to the right of the screen and a pair of doors that swing closed to cover the CRT and controls.<BR> It sounds like SC was thoughtful enough to consider ease of maintenance when designing this set. I'll find out in a few months when I retrieve it. Just hope the basement humidity didn't raise too much hell with the circuits.<BR>I'd be nice to watch the old classics like Sky King, Sea Hunt, The Fugitive, etc. as I did as a pup on the exact same set as I did then. I must be getting old or just plain nostalgic. Seems like there's nothing, but junk on the airwaves anymore. <BR> Thanks for the thoughtful information Ralph. <P>Regards:<BR> <P>------------------<BR>Larry Hare