Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 22, 2017 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weston (Schlumberger) 1230 digital panel Meter
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 3:33 am 

Hi, I've got a couple of Weston 1230 panel meters, (one is labeled Weston / Schlumberger). Does anyone have a copy of the manual or schematic please. I want to know what isolation voltage it's rated at and how to change the range. It can be configured as a voltmeter or ammeter of different sensitivity. These are 220 & 234 volt supply versions, there might be a similar 110 volt model with slightly different model number. I haven't powered them up yet but they look like they have a flourescent 3 1/2 digit display with an orange filter.
Thanks, Don Black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 5:16 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weston-1230-Digital-Panel-Meter-Operating-Manual_W0QQitemZ250375932045QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090219?IMSfp=TL090219133009r12104

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 5:55 am 

Thanks Philip, I already found that auction. Unfortunately by the time I bought it and ship it to Australia with the present currency exchange, I could buy two new meters for the price. I hope I can find some free info that will help me use the meters I have. They do have the connections on the case so I should be able to get them going, I'd just like to check a few things and change their ranges. I appreciate your help.
Don Black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 7:03 am 

Don, I had the idea that these might be Nixie tube units, and that you might be using them because of their vintage. I looked a bit more, and from the images I saw, it seems that the 1230 might use a planar neon display, dating it to the 1970s. It is not a common type of display, but seems durable from my experience with my Monroe Scientist calculators. Digital meters from the 1970s are of variable reliability, even amongst those from well-known manufacturers. But I do own two compact Weston Nixie type multi-meters that still work very nicely.

Yes, for pragmatic use, the cost of the manual and shipping would not be justified. Indeed, while eBay, and the internet in general, have made manuals for vintage equipment more readily available than ever before, the prices are often excessive, and sometimes higher than the prices brought by the instruments themselves.

It may be difficult to find information on these meters, but I wish you luck. Have you looked inside the cases? It is possible that changing the range or function involves jumpers or internal switches, and that the board may be marked accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 7:29 am 

Thanks for your additional information. Planar neon displays seem reasonable, they are some kind of planar. I've removed the case and there are several vacant holes on the board for different configurations. The same rear connections are used for all the ranges (actually a different connection for the high voltage positive). I should be able to trace out the tracks but a schematic would make life easier. Although one meter is listed as 220 volts (the schlumberger) and the other 234 I'll check to see if the power transformer has the same number. I would like to use one as a current meter on a power supply but I don't know if it's rated to float up to 400 volts. The voltmeter is broken, I should be able to use one for that, the original moving coil mA meter is still OK so it's not esential to replace that, just be nice to have them match. If you've got a manual for your meters, can you see if they have any voltage rating please?
Thanks, Don Black?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 8:15 am 

Don, I am sorry if my message was misleading: my Weston Nixie tube meters are compact bench type instruments, not panel meters, though there was an option for panel-mounting. They are model number 1242, so may have some familial similarity to your panel meters. The manual does not state the voltage isolation for current measurements. You can see a 1242 manual for free on the BAMA mirror site:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weston/1242

You might be able to discern the voltage isolation by tracing out the pertinent part of the circuit; and if there is sufficient similarity between the 1230 and 1240 lines, the 1242 manual and schematic diagrams may help in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2009 8:24 am 

Don, I wrote too soon. I was looking under the current measurement specifications. But in the general specifications, the following is stated:

“May be operated 500 volts above power line ground. Common terminal may be operated no more than +/- 500 volts away from power line ground or neutral.”

There is more detailed information on page 10 (page 16 of the pdf file from BAMA). But if your meter has the same specifications as the 1242, then you may be able to use it as you plan.