Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 58  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 10:16 pm 

Thanks!! Sure is not the last super, another is coming recently purchased! More pics soon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2010 10:42 pm 

All,

Here's the info on the American Radio Mfg. Co. of KC.

Two different layouts are discussed in the description on the pages below. Orduna's is the first.

Might have to zoom in with your browser to read the pages. The reproduction is not good on this forum! One can bearly read the info.

It's out of the first volume of the "Rolls Royce of Reception" (hopefully) to be published just into 2011.

Rick

See lots of 1920s Superhets at http://www.superhets.info/page5.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 1:21 am 

Rick A wrote:
It's out of the first volume of the "Rolls Royce of Reception" (hopefully) to be published just into 2011.

Good info Rick! I'm really looking forward to your book!

Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 11:02 pm 

Hi all,

This is an unknown (to me) 1920s superhet that I recently acquired. Hopefully one of you forum members will be able to identify it.

Above is a front view of the set. It was made with high-quality components: General Radio tuning capacitors, audio transformers, and rheostats. A three-range Jewel panel meter. Most of the other parts are of equal high quality.

Here is a top view of the chassis. There is little visible to indicate that it was a superhet. The IF transformers are hidden under the formica base panel, and the height of the base panel above the bottom of the cabinet suggests that there is not enough room there for coils and transformers. I wasn’t absolutely sure that this was a superhet until I removed the chassis from the cabinet!

Here is a rear view of the front-end of the chassis. A side view of the oscillator coupler is on the right and the IF transformers can be seen under the base panel. There are terminals on the base panel for every external connection and this suggests that some unknown company manufactured the chassis. It also has the look of factory manufacture. Some of the chassis terminals were not used by the builder of this particular radio (five terminals for various antenna connections were not used). The only thing that the owner had to do was to complete the wiring to the front panel components and install the chassis into a suitable cabinet.

Here is a close-up view of the oscillator coupler. There is no indication of a manufacturer.

Here is a close-up view of the IF transformers. The IF transformers are installed in small rectangular cardboard boxes and, again, there are no indications of a manufacturer.

Does anyone have a clue what type of superhet this is?

Thanks, Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 11:25 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Even for a "no name", that's very nice.
Congrats on a good find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2010 12:22 am 
Silent Key

I have been under the impression that a lot of early superhet makers did not want their names showing on the sets they made, as it would have drawn the patent holders like RCA, which would get on their case.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2010 1:23 am 

Thought this may be of interest - Radio News, March, 1925 - courtesy homebrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2010 1:56 am 

You fellas down under seem to have more of these Hanscoms than we do "up here". Much less pressure from RCA.

Hanscom delivered these complete IF amplifiers in several forms. Your ad shows the most interesting arrangement.

All a builder had to do was add the typical tuning stage and an audio stage. Presto! A superhet. Not all "Super-Sets" were supers.

Hanscom, of course, sold the majority of those parts including engraved panels as shown in this Barawik catalogue ad from Spring 1926.

Duane has a nice example of a double-decker Hanscom. (That's your cue, Duane. Pull that rabbitt out of the hat!) :P

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2010 4:39 am 

I do not have a Hanscom superhet (I wish I did though). I've only seen one Hanscom on eBay in the last seven years. They seem to be fairly rare. The double decker Hanscom that Rick is thinking of must have been the one in this ARF topic:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... ht=hanscom

Following are a few photos of the double decker Hanscom. The original post seems to be missing some of the photos. This set must have used the B1762 kit (Type C, for UX tubes).

Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2010 9:29 pm 

ImageI have added pics of 1926 Victoreen superhet by A&M MFG CO Denver, COLO. It looks like some of the Victoreen models I've seen.
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2010 10:32 pm 

OK: This one is for Rick, Duane, Ron, Michael - - - and every one else that loves early Superhets, here is one to
exercise your best memory and guesswork on.

A year or so ago this thing went through Eeeevil-Bay and I really wanted to bid - - - - but as usual lately, I was
up to my eyebrows in medical bills and passed on it. Now I wish I'd figured a way to at least bid and maybe buy the
thing.

I'm not sure if or not it really was a early superhet but a lot of things about it made me think it might have been.
The pictures were/are terrible and defy my best efforts to clean em up very much.

The set also defied my best efforts to identify the IFs or much of anything else about it. I wondered if it could have
been a version of the Tropadyne, with individual shield boxes over the transformers?

That said - - what say you guys - - - is/was it a early superhet and if so - - what was it?

Can someone identify the set, or circuit, or the IF transformers? Its bugged me ever since I passed an didn't bid on the critter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 11, 2010 12:29 am 

AuroraOldRadios: Nice Victoreen superhet! Welcome to the forum.
(Maybe the set is actually an A&M MFG CO superhet, based on the Victoreen kit. What would you call it, Rick?)

Dale: I think that set is a home-brewed Bremer Tully TRF set. Unusual that it had two panel meters at one time. There is a similar set on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-BREMER-TULL ... 5adcb82a7a

Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 11, 2010 1:35 am 

Dale - You may have dodged a bullet (looking at the varicap potmetal cancer on the current ebay offering).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 11, 2010 3:08 am 

Opppsss! :oops: Sorry, Duane, for my confusion!

mantecon, please tell your friend he has a scarce one...and I want it!! :twisted: (Ha!)

Okay, okay, Duane and I blew it three years ago when it was on e-Bad!

The Denver set is another example of a radio shop building up a "national" kit, in this case a Victoreen, and putting the shop name on the front panel as their own creation. Mighty nice lookin' radio, AuroraOldRadios.

Several of my friends in Denver have gone to the library downtown and found company info (like Madison Moore) through newspaper ads and city directories. Start in 1926. Please let us know what you find.

Now to Dale... That set drove me crazy while it was at auction. I came to the conclusion, in my humble opinion, it wasn't a super. Just didn't fit the typical mold. Duane's sharp eyes picked out the B-T coils under those metal covers. Good job, Duane!! :D

Rick

<PS> Just for clarification, here's a pix of Billy Richardson's recreated Tropadyne IF chain. He did a fantasic job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2010 2:41 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
I am SO glad we got the old Forum back, I
would have hated to loose this thread.
So much great information here
and on the thread on 20s horn speakers.

I wish I had something new to post.
Just in case there someone here that hasn't
seen it, here's a link to my super-het
page, http://radioheaven.homestead.com/superhets.html

Thanks again for all the fantastic input guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2010 3:22 pm 

We´re back!! i´m agree with Ron, here are a lot of information and i was sad with the lost of the forum. I will take some pics of my new super made with a Remler kit, it´s need a little of TLC but is a nice set. Kindest regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2010 4:28 pm 

Duane B
You are missing the matching pleated speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2010 7:11 pm 

Some nice additions to the thread prior to the ignominious shutdown of the site and thread. I love Duane's photos of
the double-deck Hanscom set - - - that's a little beauty for sure.

A belated thank you to Duane B for identifying the Bremer Tully RF transformers. I should have figured em out I sup-
pose, but the only set I have with B.T. style RF transformers is a Radio Service Bureau three dialer TRF:

The R.S.B. set has B.T. style RFs made by "All American," but they look some different with a hard rubber band or
strap around the periphery and without the "box" style mounts:

I don't have another set of photos of one of my Superhets at the moment, but what the heck, these might be fun
for some folks to look at and try to identify.

I'm posting a series of photos, sent to me by a friend a while back - - - he had been asked about the set and in turn
passed the photos along to me for my thoughts. The set appears to be a Superhet but made by who or where is un-
known, at least to me. I thought I'd posted these previously but looking back through the thread I don't see them so
I will post em again.

I dunno what it is, nor did/do I recognize the IF transformers - - - maybe a permutation of the Tropadyne style
- - - or ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2010 9:31 pm 

Dale!

You'd need three buddies and an octopus to run that set!

Love those duo-laterals! One for antenna tuning, two for the oscillator, and a pair for the IF Input!

A Tropadyne has to take second place to that MONSTER.... :roll:

Rick

<PS> Ron, you've got a really neat three dial Super. Don't be shy. Throw that thing up here on these pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Mon 25, 2010 4:14 pm 

This is my recently purchased super, made with REMLER parts, uses uv199 tubes, need a little of TLC , but is a nice radio, i think..

[img][img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1321/5114331610_e856221223.jpg[/img]
DSC00490 por Orduna1[/img]
[img][img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1205/5113729629_115711b362.jpg[/img]
DSC00494 por Orduna1[/img]
[img][img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5113729243_c8533ef639.jpg[/img]
DSC00491 por Orduna1[/img]
[img][img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1233/5113730303_d66d594c0c.jpg[/img]
DSC00495 por Orduna1[/img]

I believe the three dialer set posted by Dale is from Argentina, i saw that set before, in the collection of Carlos Benitez , from Bahia BLanca, Buenos Aires, on his web are some pics of this monster :http://www.radiosantiguas.4t.com/
Is some kind of superheterodyne circuit with some modifications, huge set for sure...

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1151 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 58  Next