Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 31, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rca Victor Orthophonic SHC-9
PostPosted: Sep Wed 16, 2009 10:17 pm 

Hi I just recently came across a nice rca set that has dual speaker cabinets with one containing a radio tuner and turntable. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable folks could tell me when this was made and secondly what the comparison is between this and the shp-9?

the two cabinets are labeled:

SHC-9
SHS-9

Thanks in advance guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 6:13 am 

That sounds like an early RCA stereo unit. Can you post some pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 7:53 am 

Yes I believe it is from late 50's..maybe 1958.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 7:56 am 

[img]http://www.platinumb.net/flicks/shc9.JPG[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 4:37 pm 

Here you go...

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 7:55 pm 

That's a '58 model and the manufacturers code dates are stamped on the chassis, speakers, record changer, cartridge and a final assembly date on the cabinet model label. A 3 digit ink stamped code of 850 would indicate the 50th week of 1958.

The amplifier in this model uses a special out of phase stereo phono cartridge and the tuner has a phase inverter to supply mono out of phase signals. When the amplifier is switched to tuner or any other mono selection or internal speakers only, the two amplifiers are combined to simulate a push pull amplifier. It's quite sophisticated and when it is operating up to specs it has very clean and powerful sound.

The only draw back to this system is that any modern stereo signal is in phase so if you try to connect a CD player or similar to one of the inputs the output signals will be out of phase at the speaker. If the amp is switched to mono all of the common in phase signals will be totally canceled out so only the difference between the two channels will be reproduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 17, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hi Doug thanks for all the great info. Can you tell me whether there is any difference between this model and the shp-9? It seems to look the same as the shp-9 but just curious if there would be any other differences.

In regards to connecting a modern external device..does that mean that if I connect it to say an ipod that no sound would come out of the speakers? Sorry if this seems dumb but alot of your terminology went way way over my head.

thanks again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 12:49 am 

The SHC-9 came with the AM-FM tuner
The SHP-9 came without the tuner but it could be added later.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go over your head. Your iPod should work fine on the stereo tape input and keep the selector switch in the stereo position and the back speaker switch in the both internal and external position. You may have to reverse the speaker leads on the remote speaker unit for the best quality sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 1:31 am 

Doug, are you sure this set was made in 1958? I posted the brochure of all the RCA Orthophonic models for that year and the only stereo one was the Mark I, and that was for reel to reel tape only.

I'll bet this set was 1959.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 2:20 am 

Here is the photo of the back label. According to Doug it looks like October of 1958.

[img]http://www.platinumb.net/flicks/backlabel.JPG[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 2:21 am 

Larry,
You may be right, it probably is from the '59 model line up but many of them were built and sold in late '58, in time for Christmas. That's the first year that Stereo LPs were released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 2:36 am 

Like automobile makers have done for years, RCA introduced its next model year of record players in late summer or early fall of the year before. This is a 1959 model made in the 40th week of 1958.

Thank goodness the RCA Victor New Orthophonics for 1959 look better than the new cars did that year. I think the 1959 Chevy was the ugliest car that Chevrolet ever made; and the 1959 Ford was even uglier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2009 11:39 pm 

Hi Doug thanks for all the great insight. I'm attaching a photo of the back inputs box. Just curious where to plug the ipod input into..and what type of cord to use?

http://www.platinumb.net/flicks/inputs.jpg

Post subject: Re: Rca Victor Orthophonic SHC-9
PostPosted: May Fri 25, 2012 8:03 pm 

Hello Dough (everybody else),

I realize I am a couple of years late to the conversation, but I recently got my hands on a SHC-3 and made it look pretty and was actally very surprised at how good it sounded. You can the the project here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f55592b610

The phonograph didn't work so I removed it but kept the output cable (the one with 3 prongs) and spliced it with a regular 3.5mm audio jack and was then able to connect my iPod or any audio device to it (again, it soudned beautifully).

The thing is that I've been trying to make this thing sound stereo. I realize that the cabinet (alone) only puts out mono, but I tested the external speaker jack and didn't get anything out....I got the RCA jack into the SHC on one end and then connected the other end of the RCA jack to a regular AV receiver which in turn was driving a Bose 10.2 speaker which I think it is 4 ohms (but the rating should not matter since the power is supplied by the receiver). Nothing came out...played with the balance, the external & Internal speaker switch, the Stereo and Mono toggle buttons, etc...nothing.

Then I thought I could use the External speaker hack (the one with the big needle, not the 3.5mm) thinking that if stereo sound would come out of it then I could jury rig a cable to have one side of the cable deliver signal to the cabinet's speakers and then the other side to a receiver or to an external speaker. BUT nothing came out...there was no sound whatsoever....eventhough the speaker did go silent as it was supposed to when I plugged in the audio needle.

So I am not sure if the thing is just not supposed to do Stereo or whether it is broken...or I haven't figured it out yet. I notice too that the radio is missing one (of two) output tubes(you can see it on the photos)....It could be that in order to get the other signal the other tube is supposed to be there but I can't confirm this....Short of getting the tube.

So...any ideas/insight of how to get the "other side" signal into an external speaker?

Thanks in advance.

pangbert.

PostPosted: May Fri 25, 2012 8:09 pm 

Hello Dough (everybody else),

I realize I am a couple of years late to the conversation, but I recently got my hands on a SHC-3 and made it look pretty and was actally very surprised at how good it sounded. You can the the project here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f55592b610

The phonograph didn't work so I removed it but kept the output cable (the one with 3 prongs) and spliced it with a regular 3.5mm audio jack and was then able to connect my iPod or any audio device to it (again, it soudned beautifully).

The thing is that I've been trying to make this thing sound stereo. I realize that the cabinet (alone) only puts out mono, but I tested the external speaker jack and didn't get anything out....I got the RCA jack into the SHC on one end and then connected the other end of the RCA jack to a regular AV receiver which in turn was driving a Bose 10.2 speaker which I think it is 4 ohms (but the rating should not matter since the power is supplied by the receiver). Nothing came out...played with the balance, the external & Internal speaker switch, the Stereo and Mono toggle buttons, etc...nothing.

Then I thought I could use the External speaker hack (the one with the big needle, not the 3.5mm) thinking that if stereo sound would come out of it then I could jury rig a cable to have one side of the cable deliver signal to the cabinet's speakers and then the other side to a receiver or to an external speaker. BUT nothing came out...there was no sound whatsoever....eventhough the speaker did go silent as it was supposed to when I plugged in the audio needle.

So I am not sure if the thing is just not supposed to do Stereo or whether it is broken...or I haven't figured it out yet. I notice too that the radio is missing one (of two) output tubes(you can see it on the photos)....It could be that in order to get the other signal the other tube is supposed to be there but I can't confirm this....Short of getting the tube.

So...any ideas/insight of how to get the "other side" signal into an external speaker?

Thanks in advance.

pangbert.

PostPosted: May Fri 25, 2012 11:59 pm 

You absolutely need that other output tube in there. After you get one of those, you can see if a speaker plugged into the external speaker RCA jack will work. If it doesn't you will have to troubleshoot for other causes. The unit probably will never sound like it is supposed to unless you replace (at the very least) all of the paper and electrolytic capacitors. If you search the internet you will find many articles and guides on how to do this, or people on this forum will be very willing to help as well.

The "needle" you mention sounds like it is the 1/4" phone jack that is a direct connection to the speaker in the unit. It is ONLY meant for an RCA stereo tape player to be plugged into....not for an external speaker.

PostPosted: May Sun 27, 2012 4:02 am 

Thanks Magic,

I guess I just need to get the tube and see if that is the issue...Better than just guessing and speculating. Even if it does not solve the problem, it will at the very least, complete all circuits.

Good to know the purpose of the 1/4 audio jack (I really thought that was for headphones. I guess even when the labels are clear, one is inclined to believe what one wants).

As it is now, the sound is very nice, very clear and crisp; it can also get really loud (but I don't push it since loudness is not the objective) I understand that the wax paper capacitors deteriorate with time even without use, but the thing is that when I connect to iPod or CD player via the phono mode there is no hum from the speakers so I figured why push it.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge

pangbert

PostPosted: May Sun 27, 2012 11:13 am 

pangbert wrote:
...Better than just guessing and speculating. Even if it does not solve the problem, it will at the very least, complete all circuits...
No speculating about it. It is absolutely red hot sure that the second channel will not work without the second output tube in the socket. M. Brain has a good grip on how these work.

As a test you could move the one output tube to the other socket. The main cabinet channel would go silent but the external channel should come to life. Even when running in mono, this amplifier combines both channels differently than most stereo consoles. The missing output tube will degrade mono performance as well.

PostPosted: May Mon 28, 2012 6:47 am 

Listen here...Dough knows what he is talking about, not only with electroniks but also when it comes to making delicious breads, cakes and cookies.

When I first met Dough I was driving my old VW bus around with only three tires and Dough told me I needed four. I really did not believe him but tried it and he was indeed right! That fourth tire sure made some difference. I bet that second out put tube will do the trick for ya as well!

Thanks Dough for all your help over the years and all that delicious goodness you bake!

PostPosted: May Mon 28, 2012 4:00 pm 

You're welcome, Toad. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page 1, 2  Next