Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 13, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: T.O. H-500 cabinet restoration...step by step...all done.
PostPosted: Sep Mon 28, 2009 11:45 pm 

This is a continuation of a just completed Transoceanic H-500 chassis restoration thread started in the electrical/mechanical section on 17 August 2009:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115812

The shortwave band alignment procedures still need to be accomplished, but to achieve better alignment accuracy, I think the chassis should be back in the cabinet, so once we’re done here we’ll return to the chassis restoration thread, install the chassis and do the final tweak and peak. But right now it’s time to hit the cabinet.

Back in the chassis thread we did a top to bottom inspection of this cabinet and found it to be in pretty good shape, so I’ll do my best to not cause any new damage. In other words…I won’t overdo it, but it will have to come apart. Let’s start with the back cover and those rusty hinges.
The screws came right out. No problem at all:

The Stag had to be cut and peeled back to get at the two lower screws. Uh-oh, they’re not screws. They’re some sort of fastener:

There’s nothing like a good pair of Vice Grips:

This is them. Trust me, we’ll see more of these critters:

The other half of the hinges were also fastened to the cabinet by the clothespin thingys, but on the other side of the wood the ends were bent over. It looked like it was done with some sort of press. Removing them was out of the question. It would cause too much damage to the wood:

This shows the bent over ends:

Before going any further all the other pieces and parts on the back cover were removed:

Coarse sandpaper and three applications of Naval Jelly took care of nearly all the hinge rust. Later on both will get one more Jelly treatment:

With the hinges looking better, it was time to do some serious ripping and tearing. The carrying handle was next to come off. It’s held on by two large screws:

The top of the cabinet consists of two pieces of plywood screwed together with five small wood screws. The wires from the Wavemagnet antenna sit in a slot between them. The screws were removed:

This series of pics shows the top removed, the slot, the wires and how they’re connected to the front cover hinge arms. Pretty cool idea on Zenith’s part:

The plastic dial cover was removed:

Note that three of the screws are smaller. They go through the three holes in the bottom of the cover:

Next time we’ll remove the four metal feet on the bottom of the cabinet. Are at least 3 or 4 of you still with me?:

Last edited by badrestorer on Nov Fri 06, 2009 1:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 12:24 am 

I'm still with you John! And I'm trying to keep with you on mine! - Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 3:26 am 

JOHN:
So, what is your method for removing the clothes pim type thingings" without damaging (gouging) the wood cabinet? Or did I miss your procedure? In the past, I have dug them out, with attendent cabinet damage. Filled in the gouges with wood filler, and replaced the "rivets" with small wood screws.
BOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 3:44 am 

Bob,
The four pins I removed were pulled out with long-nose Vice Grips. They weren't in there all that tight. The remaining four on the other side of the hinges will not be removed. As you said...it causes wood damage.
But if I were to remove them, I'd first use a Dremel Tool and medium grind stone to eliminate the bent over legs. Once done, a pair of Vice Grips should pull the shanks out fairly easily.

Last edited by badrestorer on Sep Tue 29, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 4:27 am 

Looks good so far

The big challenge I have is keeping abreast of the technical jargon, such as, "clothespin thingys ". :)

Have you decided on the material for the recover?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 4:41 am 

Ron,
Recover? Hiss, hiss, boo, boo. No recover.
Luckily, the Stag only needs a few small repairs here and there. Check back on this thread...things are working out fairly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2009 9:36 pm 

Still watching and learning John. This is one class I won't skip. Keep on truckin'.

-Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 12:09 am 

Removal of the cabinet feet:
Be careful when removing these cup-shaped feet. Take your time and resist the urge to muscle them off. They’re hollow and the metal is fairly thin, so excessive squeezing/pressure along the sides will bend them inward. But if you do happen to squeeze too hard, they’re pretty easy to straighten out. Of course, that’s just a guess on my part. :roll: Anyway, here’s how I did it:

Use just enough clamping power to prevent the Vice Grips from spinning round and round. The grip has to be just right. It’s a judgement thing. Then horizontally rock the foot back and forth about 1/8 inch in each direction. Also use a little upward pulling action. After three or four rocking and pulling movements, you’ll feel the foot beginning to loosen up:

Create some wiggle room by carefully working around the loosened foot with a small flat tip screwdriver:

Doing the same with a larger flat tip will then get it out. Just like pulling a tooth:

Two of them had a lot of rust underneath:

With the feet removed, it was finally time to do a little experimental cleaning and repair work. The top would be the first victim:

These cabinets have hair-like Stag strings everywhere:

A cigarette lighter will quickly singe them away. Ummm….don’t set the cabinet on fire:

While preparing for this tread I must have come across a million different ideas on how to clean Transoceanic Stag…steel wool to dish soap to mineral spirits. But I’m a joker who’s stuck in his ways. For me, the answer was elbow grease and good ole Saddle Soap:

A lot of grime came off that little bit of Stag:

With the cleaning finished, I used my X-acto knife to lop off a couple pieces of excess Stag. I probably won’t need them for patchwork…but one never knows:

The Stag on this top is in very good shape, missing only a tiny bit where the carrying handle attaches:

J-B Weld filled the hole. When dry, a couple light touches with a medium grit stone followed by coarse and fine sandpaper had it looking righteous:

It was then given two treatments of Kiwi Leather Dye:

The top is done. Turned out better than expected. Even that fly liked it:

Last edited by badrestorer on Sep Wed 30, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 5:23 am 

I used shoe dye on a cabinet I restored, but it would leave black marks on anything that rubbed against the cabinet. I had to give it several good rub downs with mink oil then a neutral paste wax, now it is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

I never thought of the leather dye. When I restored mine, I basically did all of the steps you've done except I used a vinyl upholstery spray paint from Autozone. I don't remember the brand right now, I'm at work. Anyway, it worked quite well.
I've really enjoyed these restoration threads. Thanks!

MichaelD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 7:38 pm 

I never thought of the leather dye. When I restored mine, I basically did all of the steps you've done except I used a vinyl upholstery spray paint from Autozone. I don't remember the brand right now, I'm at work. Anyway, it worked quite well.
I've really enjoyed these restoration threads. Thanks!

MichaelD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:27 pm 

MichaelD wrote:
Quote:
I've really enjoyed these restoration threads.

Michael,
Thanks, it's good to hear that.
But I don't think very many folks are paying attention to this thread. Can't blame them, I guess. So if possible, I'd like to wrap things up in the next three postings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:40 pm 

Brother John, you have a captive and rapt audience of hundreds. I don't want this thread to end. I will be depressed when you finally present that shiny new great working H-500 to your grandson. Hope he treasures it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:47 pm 

John, a lot of attention is being paid to this thread. It's just that a lot of us prefer to read than to post. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:49 pm 

Calling all lurkers. Give John a shout out so he doen't feel unappreciated. I know I read much more than I comment too.
These how-to with pics are my all-time favorite threads.

-Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 8:51 pm 

Oh contrare John,
I think a lot of us are still following this thread. I can't wait to see the finished radio. You must have overloaded Photobucket, pic's not coming through. Keep up the good work.
Another Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 9:23 pm 

John,

You are doing a great job as usual. Please do not get discouraged. Your very insightful threads are what inspired me to start one of my own on the Arvin radio. Not only are these threads useful and interesting to those of us on the forum now, but will be useful to hundreds of others in the future. So please keep up the good work.

FYI, on the TO that I restored last year, I used the black KIWI shoe polish that comes in the can and applied it the old fashion way using a cloth and then buffing it to a nice shine. The liquid wax that you used looks good too.

John K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 9:31 pm 

I'm following this thread too and as with your others have learned a great deal from you!!! Please continue and thanks for posting.
Chuck McB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 9:33 pm 

Haaalllooooowwww. I'm still here. Keep it up.

From one of the silent majority....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 30, 2009 10:18 pm 

I am paying attention and taking notes. :)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 169 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next