Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sat 19, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: philco 40-165k loud humming or buzzing noise
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:44 am 

hi. i just recently bough a philco model 40-165k and all the tubes are working, just one or two of them will need to be replaced soon. i know that this is a console radio and is different from the comvensional tube radio. it gets reception, and works, but just has this annoying buzzing or humming noise. this radio was used a lot and was turned on at least once a week by the people i purchased it from. any help on fixing this problem would be appreciated. tnaks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:55 am 

It sounds to me like the radio is due for a recap job. The filter caps in the power supply are mostlikely bad and that is what causes the hum that you hear. Don't use the radio until you get the caps replaced as you can cause yourself some big problems if you keep using the radio. Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:59 am 

thanks, but im kind of new, and i was told that it was theelectrolytic capacitors, but could you help me find the caps because im a new and inexperianced collector.

Last edited by philco 40-165k on Nov Wed 18, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 2:02 am 

what do they look like is what i mean, like, where would it be located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 2:03 am 

Look up the schematic on Nostalgia Air, and it will help you find all the parts which need to be replaced. You'll find it there in the Philco section, using your model number. You can download and print it out, may be helpful to enlarge it so you can see the details better.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/334/M0013334.htm is a direct link to what you want.

Normally on a radio of that vintage you would start out by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors, followed by replacing all of the paper capacitors. Only then can you properly evaluate functionality.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Last edited by Mr. Detrola on Nov Tue 17, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 2:05 am 

ok, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 2:52 am 

it actually could be the electorolytic converter. i did not find any filter caps in the scematics. an more help will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 3:08 am 

The electrolytic capacitors are part #53 on the schematic. It looks like they are in a metal can under the chassis. The can should contain three electrolytic capacitors, two 4uf (microfarad) caps and an 8uf (microfarad). Probably a 450 volt rating would be sufficient.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 3:20 am 

where can i get the capaciter and caps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 3:27 am 

i want to apologize for my error. i have now found the exact replacement (2x) elecrolytic filter capaciters (4uf ; 450 volts) exactly what i was looking for! thank you for everyones help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 3:30 am 

You might want to consider purchasing a capacitor kit for your radio from Dave. http://www.justradios.com/ He will include all the electrolytics and paper caps required to re-cap the entire set.

It would probably make sense to read this info about old radios too.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 11:12 pm 

thank you. im pretty sure i need only 3 filter condensers(capaciters), an not a whole set. but thank you anyways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2009 11:53 pm 

You should also plan to replace all the paper capacitors in that radio as well as the electrolytics, in order to make it work properly and be reliable. Most people don't even bother to check them since they rarely test good.

Operating a set with 70 year old capacitors is a sure way to invite other failure, and possibly damage expensive or difficult to obtain parts.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 12:40 am 

actually, i will be posting pictures of the area where all the capacitors are, so i just want everyones insight into how i should going about to replace the faulty ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:06 am 

could faulty wiring have anything to do with it? the wires are almost completely exposed an could be the cause of the noise. the capacitors do not appear to be leaking, or have shorted out. this radio was used often, so im going to replace the wires first and test it out before buying capacitors i may not need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:20 am 
Silent Key

Please believe us when we say to replace the capacitors. Those capacitors, if original, are seventy years old now. Sure the set may work fine for you without changing them, but upon changing them out, you will be amazed at how much better the set operates with new caps in it.

It is your set, and you can take the road you choose with it. But don't come back crying to us that the transformer burnt out or the set smoked later on if you choose to leave the old caps in it.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:47 am 

yes, i replaced the wires, and you are right. its definately the capacitors. the only problem i will have is replacing the capacitors. it will be dificult navigaing the wiring and finding the exact caps for it. thank you for everyones help up to this point! actually, ive decided to listen to everyone and buy replacement caps for it.
thank you. all of you! you have all been a great help to me!

Last edited by philco 40-165k on Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:53 am 

If you tell us where you're located, one our members may be able to guide with the restoration of your radio. Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:58 am 

if theres a member in southern massachusettes, that would be great. and how much would it cost to replace all the caps in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2009 1:59 am 

The best way to approach this is to replace the electrolytic capacitors first and verify that the radio still works OK. Then, replace one or two of the paper capacitors at a time, verifying that the radio still plays after each replacement. That way if you make a wiring mistake, you can easily retrace your steps and find out where the problem is. Many newbies have gone ahead and completed a wholesale replacement of all the capacitors at one time, only to find out that the radio is no longer working due to a wiring error. At that point it is very difficult to trace back and find out where the error was made.

Ed

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 36 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page 1, 2  Next