Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 26, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg HSC1 Home Stereo Console
PostPosted: Dec Thu 31, 2009 8:58 pm 

OK, first I am not looking to find out how much it's worth :D . Just would like to know if anyone has had or know about this unit. I have been offered one in great physical shape. Working condition unknown. They say it did work when put into storage 20 years ago. It even has the wired telephone dial remote. Would it be worth taking it even to find it a new home or should I for get it and pass?

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 1:48 am 

Is this the home jukebox? Can you post a photo. If it is I've been trying to find one for years. As a kid I lived about a mile from the WAKY transmitter here in Louisville. I used to hang out with the engineers, help change power and pattern, etc.
WAKY was the second station put on the air by Texas radio innovator Gordon McLenden. It was the first station to use "hi-fi" equipment on the air. It was also one of the first "personality" stations.
Anyway, they bought one of those home Seeburg units, which were called "library" players, and set it up at the transmitter site as a cheap overnight DJ. They loaded it with regular 45's, and records that they cut at the studio. It used a speeded up voice that called itself "Sammy Seeburg- the Robot DJ" . We used to have fun changing the records, and often had to "kick start" the thing when it would freeze.
Anyway, years later I saw the thing sitting over in a corner and the engineer at that time said I could have it if I'd haul it away.
Right around this time the station changed hands and "Sammy Seeburg" disappeared, probably thrown out when they cleaned up the room. If this is that item, I'd love to just have a photo.
If not, then, um, forget I said anything-
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 3:01 am 

Here is some good info . I was offered one here in town but it was to ugly . I thought it would be fun to remove the record changer and see it work though . It played full size 33rpm albums .

http://home.pacbell.net/fmillera/home_units.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 3:29 am 

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is the jukebox. I was told it holds a lot of 33 1/3 records. It is on the sight Ken G gave.( thanks Ken G for the link) Half way down. The HSC1. I don't think it is that ugly and I too would like to see the jukebox part work. I just think it is neat and never before seen anything like it. So I guess I will take it just for fun. Maybe later I will find it a good home.
terrydec; I will get some pics of it, but it maybe a couple of days. They have to get it out of storage.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 3:46 am 

There was also an automatic record player and amplifier system that Seeburg made that was for commercial use in a factory or an office building that used these special 16 rpm records. It would belt out instrumental music over the P.A system, rather like a Muzak station. There are a few videos on YouTube of these machines in operation, one belongs to the Zenith TV guy in Chicago.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 4:58 am 

COOL! These were called "Library" sets because people would put them in their libraries to play music, kind of like a CD changer today. Take your time with the photos. Yeah, I think you'll have a lot of fun messing with it.
I spent my 16th year restoring an old Wurlitzer. One of my happiest times.
8)

_________________Remember___________
"There is nothing worse than being ordinary"
terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 6:17 am 

If you do pick up the beast (not literally, I hear they are *HEAVY*), get a manual from Always Jukin' magazine (alwaysjukin.com). Be aware that you can't select individual songs from an album side, just a particular side to play. You will probably need to oil some necessary lube points, use non-detergent 20 wt. oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 1:46 pm 

The HSC-1, and variations, were made by Seeburg. If you enjoy vinyl music on LP's they are great! You can select either side of record. It hold 50 albums (if I remember correctly). There is a button to play all albums as well, great for a looooong party or something. It has the wonderful Seeburg changer that plays records in a veritical format and is gentle. I always thought the sound was great with a speaker at each end. The AM/FM radio was also of high quality. I think the HSC was for Home Stereo Console.

They were very expensive new and we used to believe rare. Through the years we have seen many and owned one. We now see them every so often on Ebay and the value is not great. I paid $95 years ago for mine. They do weigh a lot, bring strong people. Unlike Seeburg jukeboxes they are not a gear drive to the flywheel (turntable). They use "O: rings. Often dried out, loose and/or slipping. I believe I know an old operator who still has parts for these including "O" rings. He also is very knowlegable about them. You can also, perhaps, go to the local swimming pool store and find something that would work for "O" rings as I did many years ago.

I believe the needles are still available, I think they were the yellow wedge shaped Seeburgs.

They use a tormat (Solidstate) memory, which is very reliable, to remember the selections you have made. Great machines, I miss mine but a regular commercial jukebox was looking for a home so the HSC-1 was evicted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

Years ago,I friend of mine had one of the Seeburg home jukeboxes that played 45 rpm records. If I remember correctly, it held 50 records. It had a dual stylus phono cartridge in it to play both sides of the record. Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 4:06 pm 

One of the failure items in these is the stepper unit. The home units used totally different chassis units from the commercial jukeboxes of the era but the parts are similar.

The stepper unit is built onto the control center chassis as opposed to two separate chassis in the commercial models. The stepper shafts (two shafts) were originally supplied made of white nylon. These would split, swell up and jam causing them to be stuck. These same shafts were used in the pink steppers used on the commercial Seeburg Electra, Fleetwood and Showcase models of 1966 and 1967 vintage.

The replacement shafts were black plastic. These hold up well and don't give problems. I canabalized the mentioned steppers for parts to repair the HSC sets I serviced.

One HSC I repaired needed a power transformer for the control center. I found the Electra, Fleetwood and Showcase power transformers had the exact part number I needed.

Other than the O rings mentioned previously, the stepper problem was the only issue I saw in these.

Sundays at 5pm
WRDV-FM
www.wrdv.org
Your Oldies & Big Band Station

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 5:41 pm 

O-rings are available at the larger hardware stores, if you should need one; they also make good replacements for Zenith dial belts and "tires" for phonograph idler wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 5:47 pm 

Thanks for all the info and advice. They are pulling it from storage Monday and hopefully I will have it by mid week. I now have to as juke47 did evict something to make room. I think it will have to be my 1965 RCA 25" color console with R/P and radio. It is about the same size. It will be a shame the RCA is beautiful great cabinet, but I think I will like the Seeburg better. So if that is the route I travel I will take pics and put the RCA in the want ads for free. Just need to pick it up. I will post pics when I get it. I can't wait to hear it and I have enough albums to fill it.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 6:17 pm 

HI- Mine is actually the 2nd one from the top of Tony's page.

It is a 1952 , Model # 200C1 - 200 selections, 45 rpm.

12 Inch Jensen Co-axial speaker in a ported enclosure . Nice sounding unit.

Very heavy box .

I have been looking for one that plays 78's, but none around these neck of the woods'.

I had a chance to pick up 2 newer units a while back , they played 33 1/3rd records. There huge, and really long !!
But the guy wanted too much $$ for them so I pased on them.

I would pick it up if it was close to me and priced low :D

Dennis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 6:25 pm 

I will be looking forward to the pictures of your HSC-1. I have a friend who re-did the cabinet and kept only the center section with the mechanism. This made it a lot smaller and enabled the speakers to be remotely located. It's neat but I have a terrible time with wood so I could not do that. He builds entire jukebox cabinets etc. so I suppose it was easy for him.

I have never seen one but talked to people who claim that they have installed the HSC mechanisms in Seeburg A jukebox cabinets. The A was Seeburgs first 100 select phonograph (1949) and played 78 RPM's so it was large enough to accomodate the album player mechanism. It seems possible but who really knows. The Seeburg A can be converted to play 12" LP's using the jukebox mechanism as well (so they say, again).

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 7:08 pm 

Hi,
I hope that you are able to get the unit. This is one of those things you don't see all the time.
When you have the chance, grab onto it, get it and decide later what to do with it :)

Good luck, and let us see what you get.

Last edited by gary rabbitt on Jan Sat 02, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 9:19 pm 

What a great way to start the new year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2010 8:37 pm 

The HSC1 is a great unit, great sound and beautiful mid century
modern cabinet. They were available in Pecan, Walnut or Cherry.
The later HSC2 & 3 models were available in other cabinet styles like
Italian and spanish that I think are quite ugly.

It is very heavy, over 310 pounds, so be prepared! Belts and service manuals are readily available online. If you don't need the remote, I
will pay high $$$$ for it for my HSC1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2010 9:04 pm 

It is really heavy and a couple of furniture dollies would be handy.
I had to unload mine from my pickup into my shop by myself which no fun what-so-ever. Then it got worse as I had to hoist it up to the second floor of the shop with a chain hoist. I play the radio side everyday I'm in the shop and need to work on the changer and apparently the stepper to get them back in working order. I'm looking forward to how yours does so post some photos when you get a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 03, 2010 11:37 pm 

Well I finally got it. Nice shape, some scuff marks mostly back side corners.Haven't plugged it in yet. I want to check out the electronics first. I was told it work when put away and how many times have we heard that. I don't think the remote cord is long enough :shock: Extra new needles too! Here are some pics.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Thu 04, 2010 1:39 am 

Congrats! Great looking machine. Mine was nice but yours is even better. Hope you have a lot of fun with it! Once I got mine going it never missed a beat.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Larry Hillis Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next