Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 25, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Voice of Music 556A Tri-o-matic portable
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 8:32 am 

I have been lucky to pick up quite a few new record players over the past week or two, here is one of them, more to come!

Found this at a local antique store about 2 weeks ago. It is a 1956 VM 556A Tri-o-matic portable with some very cool features. The speaker grill is a brushed anodized aluminum and it has the very cool clam shell side opening lid.

It has the illuminated Lucite rod that when pushed actuates the REJ mechanism. What is also cool is it has the retracting idler wheel option, Siesta-matic I recall? The amp is BIG for a portable, it is a P/P dual 6V6GT with an optional amplifier input and an external speaker output . The coolest thing is the huge mesh screen window over the amplifier and speaker compartment! This is an audiophile's dream, you can watch the speaker thump and the tubes glow while you listed to records!

I recapped her, cleaned and re-lubed the changer and installed a new 81T cart I had sitting around. She sounds great and looks even better.

Wanna hear her? Here is a video I put up on you tube as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1lZ2vSBxdc

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 11:25 am 

Nice. Very nice. :mrgreen:

It has the same amplifier as Larry's Fidelis. Plug the speaker output into one of your New Orthophonic speaker cabinets and feel the bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 4:42 pm 

I would assume that 556A is VM's offering to compete with the Newcombs, Califones, etc classroom players.

Nice piece!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 5:48 pm 

Doug VanCleave wrote:
Nice. Very nice. :mrgreen:

It has the same amplifier as Larry's Fidelis. Plug the speaker output into one of your New Orthophonic speaker cabinets and feel the bass.

I really REALLY wanted to do that as one can tell she has far more power then the 8 inch woofer can fully handle but the speaker output is this weird 2 prong input inset into that round hole. I have seen this style plug before but do not have any on hand.

I pondered rigging it just to listen for a minute or two but have yet to do that. I was more concerned with getting her done as a feel I have reached saturation point and need to sell a couple of these off...LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 5:55 pm 

Sell some off??!! Just stack higher!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 5:59 pm 

I agree, very nice piece. If you run out of room to keep it, just send it my way :D ! Years ago, I had the wooden version with the screw on legs.

I'm sure that since this is an automatic changer model, it was designed to compete with other similar consumer models from the likes of RCA, Motorola, Webcor, and Zenith.

However, VM did make some nice manually operated record players for classroom use that were designed to compete with Newcomb, Audiotronics, Califone, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 9:33 pm 

Bus, that is a very nice VM portable. Good video you made for you-tube too. If I'm not mistaken, the RCA 45 adapter spindles will work on your VM.

Bus, keep the players (and the threads) coming. I am vacationing from now to the end of June. I won't be restoring any players during this time. I just needed a break after about two continuous years of restoring and selling record players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 10:09 pm 

moses_007 wrote:
Bus, that is a very nice VM portable. Good video you made for you-tube too. If I'm not mistaken, the RCA 45 adapter spindles will work on your VM.

Bus, keep the players (and the threads) coming. I am vacationing from now to the end of June. I won't be buying, or restoring, any players during this time. I just needed a break after about two continuous years of restoring and selling record players.

Use a RCA spindle on a VM player?...why that is sacrilege!

I have the VM spindle but as you know some of those newer thick poly 45s (such as the one playing) don't drop well with one if usually not at all and I am not into sanding the holes on my 45s just to make em work.

I thought it looked pretty cool as is, I dig me some of them little 45 spindle adapters once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 10:47 pm 

I had the yellow 45 adapters when I was a kid, but haven't had any since. My first player was a manual changer, so I had to have the adapters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 10:51 pm 

Double post...sorry. :cry:

Last edited by Larry Hillis on May Thu 27, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 10:54 pm 

Here's my VM Fidelis amp... easiest recap job I've ever done. I think it had 3 caps in the main amp, and two caps on one of the controls.

Last edited by Larry Hillis on May Fri 28, 2010 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 27, 2010 11:16 pm 

moses_007 wrote:
Here's my VM Fidelis amp... easiest recap job I've ever done. I think it had 3 caps in the main amp, and two caps on one of the controls.

Yup same amp as mine.

Last edited by bastardbus on Sep Fri 24, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2010 1:22 am 

bastardbus wrote:
... I was more concerned with getting her done as a feel I have reached saturation point and need to sell a couple of these off...LOL

VERY nice!

I've actually been wanting one of these for several years now... but every time I see it, I think, "Wow... I need another record player like a hole in the head!!"

Congrats, your photos of your actual unit look just as clean as your brochure photo... glad it went to someone who will fix it up & not gut it to make a guitar amp! :lol:

- Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2010 2:25 am 

bastardbus wrote:
moses_007 wrote:

Just curious, do you always feel compelled to post pictures of something you own in everyone elses thread? :lol:

I posted those pictures because Doug said your VM has the same amp as my VM Fidelis, and I thought the membership here might like to see the amp. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2010 3:37 am 

moses_007 wrote:

I posted those pictures because Doug said your VM has the same amp as my VM Fidelis, and I thought the membership here might like to see the amp. No, I don't post pictures of something I own on everyone's thread. Bus, comments like this need to be handled in a PM... and not posted on the forum. That's the forum rules.

Larry, you have about 6 pages a couple hundred posts dedicated to Fidelis on here that I think everyone on this site has seen in much detail. There is only like 12 of us on here anyhow and there is such few new posts we read them all in detail! HAHAHA . It just seems anyone that posts a thread you have to make sure and let everyone what you have, over and over and over again, not just in my posts but everyone's. I just think it is silly and kinda annoying to me, so I mentioned it with tongue in cheek, didn't you notice the little :lol: guy.

If the moderators want to yank my posts that is fine, that would be pretty silly as there is nothing offensive in the least about it and if you have a right to post something publicly so do I and anyone else. Nothing against you buddy I honestly like ya, really I do...ask Doug. I really REALLY enjoy reading all of your threads about your players and all the details and pictures but let everyone take a turn and play too, when someone else posts a thread, just don't be a ball hog.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2010 6:01 am 

(RepairTech hides the sharp kitchen utensils again.... just in case)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 28, 2010 7:56 am 

(RepairTech hides the sharp kitchen utensils again.... just in case)

:o :) Keep um out for when i start talking about jukeboxes again :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun Sat 05, 2010 2:39 am 

That is one COOL record player!:)-Gearhead