Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 16, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone Radio
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2010 3:30 am 

My buddy just gave me a Silvertone Radio model 6436. It's in pretty nice condition except for a tear in the grill cloth and a tear in the speaker cone. I've been looking at sites online for the replacement cloth. There a some that are close but I doubt I will find the exact style on it now. We plugged it in and it took awhile to warm up. My friend said it worked recently. Being new to this vintage technology, where would be the first place to start checking to get some stations dialed in? Anyone have an idea of the age of this model?

Thanksk, Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2010 3:57 am 

Welcom, Ricky! Looks like a 1939 model year with a 10 tube chassis. Nice radio. As others here will tell you its best to have someone check it out before plugging it in. Old capacitors can short and cause damage to other more valuable parts.
Donnie

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sears_roeb_6436.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2010 4:01 am 

Don't run it without it being serviced.

http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2010 9:13 pm 

Thanks for your responses. Here's a picture of the radio. I work in electronics so I'm pretty good with stuff. Of course, not something this old. I don't want to spend too much to have someone work on it. Can I just have the tubes and other components tested or just replace them or is that too costly?

http://picasaweb.google.com/10664274161 ... 9122449714

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2010 10:50 pm 

Nice looking radio. Repairs are most likely something you can accomplish given your level of understanding electronics. You can find plenty of help here and its yours for the asking.

Here is your photo linked:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 12:53 am 

Ricky,
Welcome. Nice set, I had it's twin brother a few years back. It worked very good after being recapped. If I were you, I'd brush up on tube electronics. If you have an electronic background, you'll pick it up quick.

There could be numerous things wrong with your set but the first thing that needs to be done is to replace the power supply filter capacitors. I'd strongly suggest replacing every capacitor in the set, but the the filters are a must. At the same time, look for burnt resistors or any other sign of overheating and check the condition of the wiring. Sometimes the insulation is completely shot and crumbles when you touch it. Tubes are blamed for a lot of things. Even if a tube is extremely weak, the set will usually work if all else is functioning as it should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 8:11 pm 

Hi and welcome!

Please see:
http://antiqueradio.org/powerup.htm

We don't want you to possibly burn up a transformer, or damage your set before you get a chance to restore it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 9:18 pm 

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to work on it this winter. Where would be a good place to purchase capacitors, tubes, etc.. I'll probably try a local radio shop that tends to have alot of old stuff. If not, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 9:27 pm 

Hi Rick,

You'll usually get your best pricing for parts here on the forum. Just post wanted ads for the parts required and the offers will roll in. Post your location and you may find someone living nearby that will test your tubes for you. Of course one you are hit by the bug, you will be looking for testers for yourself. Welcome to "the obsession".

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 10:22 pm 

Rick,

Here's a page full of sources for your parts!- http://antiqueradios.com/resources/Parts_and_Tubes/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2010 10:43 pm 

RickyV wrote:
Where would be a good place to purchase capacitors

mouser.com for components (caps and resistors)

For tubes, as mentioned, post a wanted to buy ad on the ARF.

I've also had very good luck on ebay! :shock: Make sure to investigate the source first, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2010 1:27 am 

I purchased the same radio this summer and will be working on it this winter. My plan is to replace all the capacitors, test the tubes (and replace if needed) and refinish the cabinet. Inspect for over heated or damaged parts and check the continuity and resistance of large resistors.
Then, I will turn it on (with a light bulb in series in case the transformer is shot) and trouble shoot any problems. If the reception is not great, then I will realign the receiver.
We should stay in touch!

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2010 1:47 am 

bsammons wrote:
Then, I will turn it on (with a light bulb in series in case the transformer is shot)
Barry

Hi Barry,
Not to knock your method of progress, but I'd suggest that you check that transformer first before spending time and money on your next set.
If the transformer was shot, at lewast you can decide whether to proceed or not. I certainly would not restore a set, then "hope' the transformer is good.
That would be like restoring a vintage car, then upon startup, finding out you have a cracked block or a dead cylinder :shock:
Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2010 2:57 pm 

Good advice Gary.
So, remove the rectifier tube and try the transformer first, assuming the power cord and wiring look safe?
Even if the power transformer is shot on this radio (which is unlikely) I would replace it and continue. The radio only cost me $20 an it looks in pretty good shape.

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2010 3:09 pm 

One step further, check all transformers and coils, for continuity, before replacing parts. A lot of drawings show expected values too.