Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: The Souvenir Shop :: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 23, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Adaptor for Connecting Standard 9V Battery to 226 Leads
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 6:12 pm 

Hi,

Here is a link showing a picture of an adapter that allows connecting a standard 9 volt battery to the leads in the battery compartment of a transistor radio using an Eveready 226 battery, or equivalent . The picture is the third one up from the bottom:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Collecting-amp- ... 0000099847

This adapter used to be sold by Ron Mansfield in "The Store" that was featured on the childhoodradios.com site. I don't know what happened to "The Store" or to the childhoodradios.com site. The site is still there, but seems to be mostly dead. Anyway, anyone know whether that adaptor is available somewhere else? I did a search using google, but I found no such adapter.

Ron Mansfield's store was located on eBay. The above link is on eBay, but Ron's store is empty. Anyone know what happened to him?

That adapter can come in handy.

Phred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 7:18 pm 

It is easy enough to make your own. The larger snaps are available from Mouser. http://www.mouser.com They are made by Keystone. Lots of tube type portables use the same snaps with varying spacing. I make up my own as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 9:59 pm 

TexMac,

Thanks for the reference site (mouser.com). I've bookmarked the site for future use. I took a quick look at the site, and I can see that those large snaps can be hard to find. I have no part number, and I don't know the description the site uses for those large snaps, the type that fit on the 226 battery.

The standard 9V snaps are easy to find. Even Radio Shack has them, so finding those is no problem. Yeah, I'd also have no problem making my own adapter. The problem is finding the large snaps. I'll take a closer look at the site later as time permits. I can always call them should I get lost on their site. :lol:

Phred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 10:44 pm 

Try the following part numbers:
534-262
534-270

534-264
534-272

I don't remember which is which. I think they are grouped by male and female. One group has solder tabs and one is just the snaps that need to be riveted on as I recall. I found an old order but it just describes as snaps.

It is just possible that they are only in the print catalog. I'll double check when I go down to the shop tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2010 11:22 pm 

TexMax,

OK, with those part numbers you provided, I managed to find the snaps right away, as follows:

534-262 & 270 are the socket and stud that must be riveted (to something)

534-264 & 272 are the socket and stud with crimp lug (crimp, and or solder to wire lead)

I suppose the correct "large" size (for 226 battery) is listed as "Senior" at the site, correct?

I'm not looking for the standard 9V snaps, as I can get those at my local Radio Shack.

Have I found them?

Phred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2010 2:03 am 

Yes, those are the ones. They also made one with solder lugs. I ordered some in the past, but do not have the stock numbers. I rivet mine to a length of heavy fish paper with 3/32" rivets like the connectors you usually find in old radios, then fold it over and rivet the two corners. Problem is the rivets are hard to find. I made my first out of a strip of perforated phenolic board, then used a piece of shrink tubing with two holes for the snaps made with a ticket punch to insulate them. For radios with fixed connectors, the style shown in that e-bay link probably would be best.

Glad to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2010 12:18 pm 

TexMac,

I'll order some of the 534-264 & 272 (the socket and stud with crimp lug). I'll likely solder as well as crimp, and then cover the work with shrink tubing. Yeah, it'll look like those in the eBay link I posted above.

Thanks for the help. Those large size snaps would be very hard to find without inside information. Without the information, one doesn't know what to look for while searching. Like when searching only on "snaps," one gets just those standard 9V snaps. Everybody has those!

Phred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2010 6:19 pm 

Here is a link to a site that sells a Lithium replacement for the 226 battery. I have not tried it but I am thinking about it.

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product9984.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2010 7:51 pm 

Matt M,

Don't use batterycountry.com. I ordered a 226 battery from them on my first attempt, using PayPal to tender the funds. They didn't fill my order and didn't respond to my quires asking for an explanation. I had to file a complaint with PayPal. PayPal managed to get a refund for me. Also, look at this:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Comp ... untry.aspx

Battery Country has a bad reputation. I have no idea what the problem is with that site, but it could be that they are simply defunct.

Since the 226 battery is hard to find (I googled the world), the only source I could find is this one:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_226.htm

All other Internet sources (maybe I found two more) I found in my searches that showed 226 batteries at their site didn't actually have any. So, I settled on the only source (in London) that actually had them. I received my battery in about one week. It's an Exell brand. It cost about $21.25 (depends on exchange rate) delivered. Note that at the site the price shown is prior to adding shipping charges.

Today, the exchange rate is 1.5715. That is, each pound costs 1.5715 dollers. Therefore, an item costing 10 pounds will require $15.72.

That's my experience.

Phred

Later Edit: Use PayPal if you have an account. If not, open an account. PayPal automatically calculates the exchange rate and sends the payment. If you have problems, file a complaint with them and they'll take care of it. They are a great service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2010 3:03 pm 

TexMac wrote:
Yes, those are the ones. They also made one with solder lugs. I ordered some in the past, but do not have the stock numbers. I rivet mine to a length of heavy fish paper with 3/32" rivets like the connectors you usually find in old radios, then fold it over and rivet the two corners. Problem is the rivets are hard to find. I made my first out of a strip of perforated phenolic board, then used a piece of shrink tubing with two holes for the snaps made with a ticket punch to insulate them. For radios with fixed connectors, the style shown in that e-bay link probably would be best.

Glad to help.

Yesterday, I received the snaps from Mouser. They are the correct items. I made my first adapter, and it looks good. I soldered a standard 9V snap assembly (from Radio Shack) to the snaps. Perfect!

Thanks again.

Phred